C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

- C6 - Official A6 (Auto) Thread - Temps / Shifting / ETC

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 02:08 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Default - C6 - Official A6 (Auto) Thread - Temps / Shifting / ETC

Hey guys,

I've tried looking for threads to research info about specifically C6 A6 cars, but not much luck. Recently bought 2008 A6. Although it's a good set-up, I have some notions about it. First, I think Corvettes are generally very sensitive to temps. Temps go up easily and are usually on the higher side, that why a lot of people are always looking for ways to improve its cooling (ex: bigger radiators, tranny coolers, adding water wetter to the radiator, 160* stats, tuning fans, etc..etc).

1) My last C5 was an A4; I had added Transgo Shift kit to it, which made it shift firmer and also added a B&M Tranny cooler to maintain lower temps by 10* or so. My 2008 A6 tranny can run 210* on a decently warm day (73* outside) on the freeway. What are you doing to keep the A6 Temps down?

2) Are you using the "D" (drive) or "S" (sport) shift for your normal driving? I don't feel much (if any) in the 2 modes. What differences you've observed?

3) How often do you use paddle shifting? What are your temps/experiences with it?

4) Any Tranny mods, like a tranny cooler, shift kit, etc?

Please feel free to add any relevant info about your A6.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2018, 09:33 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

I have a 2012. This, I believe is the year when gm firmed up the shifts in the “S” mode. I get a very nice, loud, bark when going from first to second.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:18 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

I realize not too many people have A6 (autos). But if you do, there's no shame in that...

Come onboard and share your experiences/service done/mods/Etc..etc.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:58 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
I realize not too many people have A6 (autos). But if you do, there's no shame in that...

There were more A6 equipped C6's than manual transmissions, by almost a 2 to 1 margin; I'm not counting Z06's or ZR1's since they were not available with the A6.
In Sport mode, it's supposed to shift slightly firmer and at about 200 rpm's higher at WOT.
I rarely use the paddles; response time is painfully slow. Although, they may be useful if you road race the car.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:37 AM
Sphurley
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Default A6

I have a 2010 GS A6, Stock the shifts in D or S where slow, unpredictable and soft. There a "some" tuners that can fine tune the A6, there are some that can mess it up.
Part of a good tune is working on the torque control and that is what will wake up the A6 and the car's performance in general.
I do have a Dewits, a 180deg stat, and a tune that turns the fans on sooner (just the stat is a waste of money)
After having Cunningham do his magic the paddle shifts are way more predictable. Before you pushed them and waited for it to shift.
The shift kit is now days a laptop and the knowledge to make the right changes.
We have a nice drive out in So Cal that is Angeles Crest Hwy and the car never gets past 195 on the drive. Trans stays at the same 195, engine oil around 220 (I do have the oil cooler ports on the radiator but have not connected them yet)
Find a good tuner and ask around the A6 guys about his work.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:36 AM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I think the only time you need to run better fans, radiatior, external coolers, wetter is when you add a supercharger.

I have a cam, headers, Yank SS3200 stall and a B&M cooler for the trans. The trans temp never goes above 176 on 85-90 deg days. Bypass the internal cooler if you have one.
Oil runs around 220 w/o a cooler.
want to say coolant around 200.

I use the paddles to downshift while off the gas before I get on it. My trans tune allows the car to shift on its own while in ‘S’ or I can upshift with the paddles. The A6 does not like hard downshifting like running in 5th, hammering it and making the trans downshift on power.

Last edited by Curt D; 07-15-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:39 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Hardest thing on any trans is kicking down a bunch of gears under full throttle
Old 07-16-2018, 02:45 AM
kings1016
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a 2012 Centennial Edition Grand Sport (A6). Mods: I recently had an A&A supercharger and 3" upgraded radiator (A&A radiator) installed and a tune done by A&A Corvettes. Extremely happy with the 557hp/497tq results. I also have a Borla Sport axle back exhaust as well which is a great exhaust (and sound).

My question is.....what is the acceptable range of temperature for the fluids (oil, trans, etc.)? and what range of temperature is the "danger/damage" zone?

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2018, 08:16 AM
Iceman007
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

It's funny I just sold my 06' convertible that was manual and bought an 09' coupe with automatic. I was getting tired of shifting through gears in the city, even being a weekend car it was still annoying with all the stupid speed humps, pot holes and dips in the road at driveways and side streets. Well now I kinda miss the manual, the auto almost seems like a whole different car, although it is nice in traffic and cruising around, doesn't have that connected to the car feeling I had with my 06 vert. It's been in the upper 80s lower 90s here and haven't noticed it running too hot yet but I know my convertible would.
The following users liked this post:
Vette_Fan (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 02:05 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SouthBaySurfer
There were more A6 equipped C6's than manual transmissions, by almost a 2 to 1 margin; I'm not counting Z06's or ZR1's since they were not available with the A6. In Sport mode, it's supposed to shift slightly firmer and at about 200 rpm's higher at WOT. I rarely use the paddles; response time is painfully slow. Although, they may be useful if you road race the car.
- That may be true, but guys with MN6 discuss their cars more than guys with A6 (it seems).

Originally Posted by Sphurley
I have a 2010 GS A6, Stock the shifts in D or S where slow, unpredictable and soft. There a "some" tuners that can fine tune the A6, there are some that can mess it up. Part of a good tune is working on the torque control and that is what will wake up the A6 and the car's performance in general.
I do have a Dewits, a 180deg stat, and a tune that turns the fans on sooner (just the stat is a waste of money) After having Cunningham do his magic the paddle shifts are way more predictable. Before you pushed them and waited for it to shift. The shift kit is now days a laptop and the knowledge to make the right changes.
We have a nice drive out in So Cal that is Angeles Crest Hwy and the car never gets past 195 on the drive. Trans stays at the same 195, engine oil around 220 (I do have the oil cooler ports on the radiator but have not connected them yet) Find a good tuner and ask around the A6 guys about his work.
- It's great that your paddle shifts got improved with the tune. I am hoping for the same. It seems GM had done that improvement on the 2008+ (LS3) cars to quicken the paddle shifts, but apparently, it's not very impressive. So I wonder how bad are the 2006 - 2007 A6's?
- The Transgo Shift kit I was referring to (had it on my C5), isn't just to improve the shifts, but it allows better fluid flow & firmer shifts.

Originally Posted by Curt D
I think the only time you need to run better fans, radiatior, external coolers, wetter is when you add a supercharger.
I have a cam, headers, Yank SS3200 stall and a B&M cooler for the trans. The trans temp never goes above 176 on 85-90 deg days. Bypass the internal cooler if you have one.
Oil runs around 220 w/o a cooler. want to say coolant around 200.
I use the paddles to downshift while off the gas before I get on it. My trans tune allows the car to shift on its own while in ‘S’ or I can upshift with the paddles. The A6 does not like hard downshifting like running in 5th, hammering it and making the trans downshift on power.
- I hear that often, but we also see a lot of guys complaining and wondering about high Temps.
- 176* is great! What model B&M tranny cooler are you using. And is that the main reason for your 176 temps?
- "S" mode shifts like an auto "D", so yeah, it does shift on it's own. And if you slow down a lot or stop, it will downshift for you, even if you were paddle shifting. For upshifting, you'd have to manually do it, if you were using paddles. Isn't that how All A6's work?

Originally Posted by farmington
Hardest thing on any trans is kicking down a bunch of gears under full throttle
Hmmm....I don't want to misuse my tranny, but isn't that the purpose of paddle shifting? If you were in 5th or 6th and needed to go into 3rd or even 2nd quickly coming up on a turn, if you have to go through ALL the gears (one at a time), what's the point? Might as well brake hard going in and step on the gas coming out of a turn in "D". Although I don't do that, I used to do that on my Bike - pulling in the clutch and downshifting couple of gears at a time. I am guessing, even in an MN6 you don't always go down one gear at a time.

Originally Posted by Iceman007
It's been in the upper 80s lower 90s here and haven't noticed it running too hot yet but I know my convertible would.
- Why would the vert run hotter?
Old 07-17-2018, 11:51 AM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

- 176* is great! What model B&M tranny cooler are you using. And is that the main reason for your 176 temps?
- "S" mode shifts like an auto "D", so yeah, it does shift on it's own. And if you slow down a lot or stop, it will downshift for you, even if you were paddle shifting. For upshifting, you'd have to manually do it, if you were using paddles. Isn't that how All A6's work?
?[/QUOTE]

Cooler is the reason for lower temps. I believe I have the B&M 70266

As for the trans tune. I can drive around using paddles as designed but the difference is that if I choose to stomp on it (in any gear) it will automatically upshift at the programmed rpm without paddle intervention. I do not have to be in drive for this to happen. This is so you can manually downshift to race but let the trans shift automatically for more consistent and faster up shifts.

Last edited by Curt D; 07-17-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:07 PM
VetteofSD
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

06 A6. I had my transmission tuned by Top Flight Corvette in San Diego while getting some other mods tuned in. That certainly corrected the paddle delay and firmed up the shifting in Sport or "S". In Drive the shifts were slightly firmer, but very reasonable. Sport definitely shifts how it should have from the beginning!

However, the main shifting difference I noticed was checking your motor and trans mounts! I drive mine a lot (over 160,000 now!) And noticed my shifts were getting clunky. I track my car and drive it daily, so I assumed that I just needed a rebuild soon and dealt with it. However, one day I was changing my AC compressor and noticed my engine mounts were shot (OEM fluid ones), I switched them out and my shifts were night and day smoother. Decided to do the rest of the mounts well. Be sure to check those if you feel your transmission or drivetrain is clunking or shifting hard!

In my opinion, unless you're going for some crazy power, a good tune by a skilled tuner is really the only mod you need for it
The following 2 users liked this post by VetteofSD:
Vette_Fan (07-18-2018), vezePilot (07-20-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 09:23 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

[/QUOTE]
Cooler is the reason for lower temps. I believe I have the B&M 70266

As for the trans tune. I can drive around using paddles as designed but the difference is that if I choose to stomp on it (in any gear) it will automatically upshift at the programmed rpm without paddle intervention. I do not have to be in drive for this to happen. This is so you can manually downshift to race but let the trans shift automatically for more consistent and faster up shifts.
[/QUOTE]

1) I looked up the B&M 70266. Seems like it's a 20,000 BTU cooler. Not sure if it comes with an installation kit...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/b...xoCmFoQAvD_BwE

2) In my C5 I had the B&M 70268 - 14,000 BTU cooler : this kept the temps around 180-199 (never saw 200). This does come with an installation kit.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70268

I like the 1st one, it's only 1/2" wider and .75" thicker, but cooler is 20,000 with plate design. Only thing not sure if it's a complete installation kit.

I like the idea of how you described your Sport "S" has been tuned - I would certainly like that. Down the road, I am thinking LT headers and a FULL Tune. For now, just trying to keep the car running COOL.

Thanks.

P.S: A6 guys, what else are you doing...
Old 07-19-2018, 03:32 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

1) I looked up the B&M 70266. Seems like it's a 20,000 BTU cooler. Not sure if it comes with an installation kit...
I like the 1st one, it's only 1/2" wider and .75" thicker, but cooler is 20,000 with plate design. Only thing not sure if it's a complete installation kit.
P.S: A6 guys, what else are you doing...
In the item description: Notes:This racing model doesn't include installation components.
You need to make your own installation and base it upon location (air flow) and if you want to bypass the radiator.
Be aware that mounting on the condenser (Curt D) may work in Illinois, but it will cause engine heating issues in Arizona.

275* is ideal. Even better if you can stay in the 160-190 range for long term endurance. GM used the engine coolant to ensure proper and quicker warm up for the trans. Because the trans is not a positive pressure flow through the cooling lines, using an aftermarket cooler and bypassing the radiator, will result in much slower warm up. The A6 depends on volume for proper operation, so it's critical that the fluid level is correctly maintained. There is no dipstick and the procedure to check the level is important. Shifting is definitely affected when the fluid is less than 150*, since the volume is less. Too cool is worse than 220+.

Increasing the pressure to get the hard seat-of-the-pants feeling, while advantageous in older style transmissions, has limited value in the A6. Using the paddles is most useful to lock up the converter when that is desired for the driving conditions. For most other driving, it's simply a personal preference. Be very careful when tuning. If you don't do your own tuning (most people don't), be sure to tell the tuner exactly how you intend to use the car, not how you want it to feel.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:41 PM
farmington
Safety Car

I’m in Michigan and not planning on any road racing, so I am holding off on a cooler till (if and) when I do a converter. Loved the Yank SS 3600 I had in my Z28.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:45 AM
SwissC7
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Paddles and back to auto mode

Hello
I have a question about using the paddles with the A6.
My C6 is from 2006 with a A6 transmission. Sometimes when i use the paddles to shift (e.g overtaking), i would like to go back automatic mode after that. In my other car, i can just hold the up-paddle for a few seconds and it goes back to autmatic shifting. Is there a similar function in my Corvette? The only way i found until now is to go from S- to D- and back to S-Mode.

Thanks in advance for your help

Greetings from sunny Switzerland
Old 07-20-2018, 05:57 AM
Cockroach
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 97 Posts

Here is my auto trans question, under full throttle my engine will hit the rev limiter before shifting from 1st to 2nd unless I back peddle slightly. does not matter if trans is in D or S or if traction control is on or off. Is this normal? Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To - C6 - Official A6 (Auto) Thread - Temps / Shifting / ETC

Old 07-20-2018, 03:33 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
In the item description: Notes:This racing model doesn't include installation components.
You need to make your own installation and base it upon location (air flow) and if you want to bypass the radiator.
Be aware that mounting on the condenser (Curt D) may work in Illinois, but it will cause engine heating issues in Arizona.

275* is ideal. Even better if you can stay in the 160-190 range for long term endurance. GM used the engine coolant to ensure proper and quicker warm up for the trans. Because the trans is not a positive pressure flow through the cooling lines, using an aftermarket cooler and bypassing the radiator, will result in much slower warm up. The A6 depends on volume for proper operation, so it's critical that the fluid level is correctly maintained. There is no dipstick and the procedure to check the level is important. Shifting is definitely affected when the fluid is less than 150*, since the volume is less. Too cool is worse than 220+.

Increasing the pressure to get the hard seat-of-the-pants feeling, while advantageous in older style transmissions, has limited value in the A6. Using the paddles is most useful to lock up the converter when that is desired for the driving conditions. For most other driving, it's simply a personal preference. Be very careful when tuning. If you don't do your own tuning (most people don't), be sure to tell the tuner exactly how you intend to use the car, not how you want it to feel.
You always have good advise. Actually, looking at the photos I also have a bit of concern - a large part of the radiator is being obstructed by the tranny cooler. I live in No. California. It's not exactly the same as AZ, but it does get very hot here time to time (high 90's - 100), hence my inquiry about keeping the car cooler. I also take trips to NV, AZ (death valley) where it gets 115+ in the summer months. Having said that, it can drop down to 30's in winter.

If I were to use THIS cooler, I wouldn't bypass anything. I would keep the OEM setup exactly as it is, and add this in series with the tranny - wouldn't that work better?

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2018, 03:50 PM
farmington
Safety Car

To cockroach. No, not normal. Has car been tuned? Or has aftermarket converter?
Old 07-20-2018, 03:53 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by SwissC6
Hello
I have a question about using the paddles with the A6.
My C6 is from 2006 with a A6 transmission. Sometimes when i use the paddles to shift (e.g overtaking), i would like to go back automatic mode after that. In my other car, i can just hold the up-paddle for a few seconds and it goes back to autmatic shifting. Is there a similar function in my Corvette? The only way i found until now is to go from S- to D- and back to S-Mode.

Thanks in advance for your help

Greetings from sunny Switzerland
With the '06, that's the only method with the stock tune. If you have a GM dealer there, you might be able to talk them into downloading the trans tune for a '13 into your '06. Lots of improvements, including how the paddles function.

Quick Reply: - C6 - Official A6 (Auto) Thread - Temps / Shifting / ETC