C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Piolt Sport 4S

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 07:41 PM
cal45
Drifting

Received 479 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by SSWEET
As far as peace of mind for traveling, If you are a 100 miles from nowhere and get a blow out, (sidewall) or pick up a nail or a screw....even with runflats you are basically screwed. Drive 100 miles on a runflat... it's toast. So then you are faced with the same options as a non run flat. Plug it or call a tow truck. And like some have said...chances are that if the next town down the road isn't big enough...you will be waiting on a tire delivery just like the non run flat folks
Just recently discovered a large Hex head screw dead center in my factory GY run flats - it was the drivers side rear. No low pressure alarms the afternoon I noticed it (actually heard it first as I was driving). Wasn't able to take the car into the tire center until the next morning - as soon as I started it up, received the low pressure alarm with PSI at 19 and tire center approx 20 miles away.....made the drive via side roads nice and easy and tire pressure actually raised to 21 PSI as the tire heated up. So - in this case, the run flats did the job. My next set of tires will be the Michelin Run Flats.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:29 PM
MightyMike
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just put Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 on my car three weeks ago. Hook is awesome but they are louder than the original GY run Flats... Just sharing... Most noise is on the highway. Local driving is fine.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:38 AM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

I think these are immensely quieter than the GY RF. Like, enormously so.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:29 PM
FiveVettes
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

What Matthew said... my pilots are much quieter that the GYRF.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:06 PM
Prewoz
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TxLefty
As nearly as I can tell if you bought S4s, you did not get run flats. I could not find any information on Michelin's site or on Tire Rack that indicated that they are run flats. If you bought the A/S 3s, those are labeled as ZP (Zero Pressure) and are run flats.
I just purchased the Michelin Pilot Super Sport run flats because the tire shop specifically said the 4S did not have run flat versions yet. The 4S is the newest generation tires which will be replacing the Super Sports (again according to the tire shop).
Old 08-16-2018, 12:24 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

As far as peace of mind for traveling, If you are a 100 miles from nowhere and get a blow out, (sidewall) or pick up a nail or a screw....even with runflats you are basically screwed. Drive 100 miles on a runflat... it's toast. So then you are faced with the same options as a non run flat. Plug it or call a tow truck. And like some have said...chances are that if the next town down the road isn't big enough...you will be waiting on a tire delivery just like the non run flat folks
With either tire a screw or nail will not go flat 99% of the time,so if you get the message low rear or? pull over and add some air to it.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:27 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
I will always get Runflats !! and if it rides rougher SO BE IT its a Corvette not a Lexus.
I agree!
I sold Michelin tires in the late 70's into the early 80's. In those days the 70 series tires like the XWX that came on the fastest cars of the time were considered low profile. Now some Corvettes come with as low as 25 series tires! In 1984 I bought a new VW GTI that had 185/60RX14 tires. I keep the car for 4 years, and in that time I had to buy 4 replacement factory alloy wheels and 6 tires because of sidewall impact breaks! I'm not talking about moon crater size pot holes!
I haven't had a car that came stock with under 3" sidewalls in years, and was concerned about the C6, and road hazards. The seller had previously put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus runflats(older model) about 3K before I bought the car. We just recently did an 1800 mile round trip in a ten days to the Corvette Museum. It's the inevitable, that sooner or later your going to encounter a bad stretch of road with pot holes driving at night or blocked by the truck in front of you.
I've hit a few since I've had this car, and was amazed that not only did the tire survive, but the wheel did too! It's because of the reinforced sidewall

I would never have anything else on this car!
Old 08-16-2018, 02:33 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
All brands of tires make a hell of a different when new....Reply back when you get 10000 miles on them.....
...And very well said. ....but you do know that now theres gonna be at least 50 people chiming in saying that they have 200-K-plus on their Michelins and they still ride like brand new. Isn't bias a wonderful thing...... ...

Last edited by windyC6; 08-16-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:20 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
Well-known fact that runflats make more road noise then non-runflats.
WRONG! I've personally daily driven Cooper Zeons, Nitto Invos, and Michelin Pilot Sports, all non-runlflats, and they are all LOUDER here in sunny Florida (on our load roads anyway) than the Bridgestone Pole Position RUNFLATS
The following users liked this post:
marinablu67 (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 11:47 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
...And very well said. ....but you do know that now theres gonna be at least 50 people chiming in saying that they have 200-K-plus on their Michelins and they still ride like brand new. Isn't bias a wonderful thing...... ...
Lol..I want be around by then.....
Old 08-18-2018, 11:48 PM
Brewdog
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Where are folks getting the Pilot 4S at? Discount Tire and NTB don't have them. Guess I could try and order from Tire Rack.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:12 AM
Celticknot
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I got mine from a local wholesaler, he ordered them took a week to get them. When I was shopping tire rack had them but got them for less from the local guy.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:43 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,672 Likes on 1,699 Posts

With a runflat you at least have a chance to drive that 100 miles. With a hole in the sidewall you are stranded with a non runflat as 95% of the time you won't be able to fix it even if you have a kit. I have had several center tread blowouts that were too large to fix with plugs or a kit. Runflats are the only way to go if you take long trips in a Vette.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:58 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewdog
Where are folks getting the Pilot 4S at? Discount Tire and NTB don't have them. Guess I could try and order from Tire Rack.
Discount Tire can order them. Mine took 2 days. They did an excellent install job.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:55 AM
Texan79423
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 138 Posts

I just swapped 7 year old PS run flats for new PS 4 non RF. Huge difference in ride. Order from Costco 978.00 installed. Added new TPMS at same time. Discount was almost 200.00 higher.

Quick Reply: Michelin Piolt Sport 4S