C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended Replacement GPS Radio for C6 as of 2018

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:33 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred

Well for people that don’t know or are researching replacing a head unit, you make it sound like they are losing the HUD which is not really accurate. The HUD has more primary features that will still function normally.
No disrespect but anyone who owns a Corvette or any other vehicle with HUD knows what the system is capable of.

Last edited by saplumr; 07-16-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:55 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr

No disrespect but anyone who owns a Corvette or any other vehicle with HUD knows what the system is capable of.
They may know what it’s capable of, but I just want to be clear that they dont lose HUD when going with an aftermarket head unit but only the navigation functions through the HUD. I’m not trying to argue with you, I’m just trying to be clear for those who may read this now or in the future and are looking for info and may not know.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:41 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

They may know what it’s capable of, but I just want to be clear that they dont lose HUD when going with an aftermarket head unit but only the navigation functions through the HUD. I’m not trying to argue with you, I’m just trying to be clear for those who may read this now or in the future and are looking for info and may not know.
You should probably give owners a little credit because most are not a dumb as you think.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:02 PM
MB2
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ffas23
I am not sure if I am going to do it but I am curious what others who have done so recommend as of 2018 as a replacement GPS Radio to swap into ones C6 to replace the factory GPS Radio System. The only reason I am thinking about it is because I would like to utilize my iPhones GPS Capability through my GPS System in my car like my wife is able to do in her 2016 Chevy Malibu and my daughter is able to do in her 2016 Camaro. The technology is just not there in the GPS Radio that came equipped with my 2006 Corvette. Wish there was a way that I could do the same in my Factory GPS Radio in my 2006. The set up using the always updated GPS system in our iPhones is just the best from what I have seen so far.
I just replaced my factory radio / nav ,with a Pioneer AVIC 5100 NEX. I added XM and a back up camera. It has nav and blue tooth too. Free install on the head unit at Best Buy. Very satisfied so far.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:05 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by saplumr

You should probably give owners a little credit because most are not a dumb as you think.
You should just let it go already. If everyone knew everything there was to know, there wouldn’t be a forum.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:14 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

You should just let it go already. If everyone knew everything there was to know, there wouldn’t be a forum.
You’re right, I give up.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:49 PM
idadoc
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very happy with Pioneer AVIC 8201NEX with Sirius tuner and backup camera in my 2011 GS. Very clean instillation.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:18 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Purchased a brand new Kenwood DMX7704S. Should have it tomorrow 7/19. Seems to be everything I am looking for and the price was right. Looks like all that I need to install it is a Metra 95-3304 Double Din Installation Kit and a PAC RP5-GM11 Radio Replacement Interface based on my extensive research during the last week or so. Any comments or suggestions on the ***install*** is welcome.

Last edited by ffas23; 07-18-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:18 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

If you plan on doing the install yourself, here is a helpful thread to follow if you haven't seen it already.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...is-to-diy.html

Also, if you want Sirius/Xm you will need to buy a tuner. The SiriusXM SXV300v1. I don't recommend it for everyone though because I found the XM reception in my Vette to be poor and I ended up cancelling XM service in my Vette.

Also, like mentioned earlier, reverse camera is real easy to do and I highly recommend one. I used the Pyle PLCM38FRV. It was only about $17 when I bought it, but see it now for $26 on Amazon, and I used an existing screw to mount it above the license plate. Well worth the little bit of effort to install and the $17-26 it costs.
The following users liked this post:
ffas23 (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 10:36 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If you plan on doing the install yourself, here is a helpful thread to follow if you haven't seen it already.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...is-to-diy.html

Also, if you want Sirius/Xm you will need to buy a tuner. The SiriusXM SXV300v1. I don't recommend it for everyone though because I found the XM reception in my Vette to be poor and I ended up cancelling XM service in my Vette.

Also, like mentioned earlier, reverse camera is real easy to do and I highly recommend one. I used the Pyle PLCM38FRV. It was only about $17 when I bought it, but see it now for $26 on Amazon, and I used an existing screw to mount it above the license plate. Well worth the little bit of effort to install and the $17-26 it costs.
Hey thanks for the help I really appreciate it. Wasn't planning to do it in this hot weather. Waiting until it cools down ,maybe in September. Thanks for the heads up on the back up camera. Plan on installing one at the same time while the unit is out of the dash.

Quick Reply: Recommended Replacement GPS Radio for C6 as of 2018