C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I trade my Camaro SS for a C6 Grand Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 10:40 PM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007

The BS meter is pegged with this one.

GS has all the Z06 goodies except the aluminum frame and the engine that likes to blow up on the track unless you fix the heads.

As for a C7 GS passing a C6 in reverse....another truly clueless statement.

What BS meter - are my statements not accurate or just not liked by you? I vote the latter. In any case, know your facts first:

1. Less than 1% of C6 Z06's owners produced reported a blown valve(s) to GM and of this 1%, a high percentage of the blown valves were from highly modded LS7's...so what did prudent Z06 owners do after the word was out that one had to 'fix the heads' before modding...well,they spent the 2K and fixed the heads. Done. Move one to the greatness of the LS7.

2. I'd say the aluminum frame is big "differential"....

3. Sorry to say, but LS7, LS9 are quickly recognized by any car enthusiast and, unfortunately, the LS3 isn't. Even most corvette guys don't know what the LS3 is, most think it's in the Chevy SS, unfortunately.

4. "C7 GS in reverse" statement was a metaphor emphasizing that the C7 GS can heavily outperform the C6 GS (for I guess 20K more - not sure what C6 GS's are going for these days. But anyway, C7 GS is truly a bargain!)

Like I said in my first post, I respect one's passion for their C6 GS (or any other car for that matter), but don't be that annoying "stepchild corvette guy” that is hating on a truly better recommendation directed toward the OP...

Last edited by corvettemonster; 07-18-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:24 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettemonster

What BS meter - are my statements not accurate or just not liked by you? I vote the latter. In any case, know your facts first:

1. Less than 1% of C6 Z06's owners produced reported a blown valve(s) to GM and of this 1%, a high percentage of the blown valves were from highly modded LS7's...so what did prudent Z06 owners do after the word was out that one had to 'fix the heads' before modding...well,they spent the 2K and fixed the heads. Done. Move one to the greatness of the LS7.

3. Sorry to say, but LS7, LS9 are quickly recognized by any car enthusiast and, unfortunately, the LS3 isn't. Even most corvette guys don't know what the LS3 is, most think it's in the Chevy SS, unfortunately.

4. "C7 GS in reverse" statement was a metaphor emphasizing that the C7 GS can heavily outperform the C6 GS (for I guess 20K more - not sure what C6 GS's are going for these days. But anyway, C7 GS is truly a bargain!)

Like I said in my first post, I respect one's passion for their C6 GS (or any other car for that matter), but don't be that annoying "stepchild corvette guy” that is hating on a truly better recommendation directed toward the OP...

Go crawl back under your rock.

You said the only thing the GS has is the wide body. That is patently false.

I identified the 2 major differences of which *I* pointed out the frame and now you try to spin the news.

Blown engines....don’t get to the track much do you. GM has never released the stats on bad heads, so more fake news.

You’re just another elitist calling people names to justify his purchase in spite of what the OP asked about.

Off to the ignore list you go :

The following users liked this post:
SlothX311 (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 10:45 AM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 07-19-2018, 02:20 PM
SlothX311
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

All depends what your looking for.
Agree.

The saving grace of the GS is the Z06 wide-body - other than this, there's nothing truly special about a 430-436HP LS3 C6 GS.
Originally Posted by 96GS#007
You said the only thing the GS has is the wide body. That is patently false.
Yeah, gotta call you out here "corvettemonster". First you start by saying it depends what you're looking for. As indicated in the OPs post, he'd have to pay an additional 10k down to make the GS work so clearly a C6 Z or C7 anything isn't in the cards at the moment. Second, you're just ill-informed about what the Grand Sport is. Just a wide body? Far from it. Wider tires, dry sump oiling, added active cooling in the rear diff, stiffer suspension, shorter gearing, stiffer rear sway bar, bigger brakes, launch control, better stability control and alignment for street driving than the Z06, & nearly 50/50 weight distribution with the added bonus of also having a targa top (which the z06 doesn't have.) The GS is more like Z06 with an LS3 and targa roof than nothing special about the GS. Its a track worthy car that you actually WANT to drive on the street.

This isn't to say a Z06 or ZR1 aren't both monster cars, they are for sure. The LS7 sound is intoxicating, love me some supercharger whine on the LS9. Just know what you're talking about before knocking it. Also WTF are you talking about with all C6 seats are garbage? Have you sat in the Sport Seats?
Old 07-19-2018, 02:28 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

IMO the C6 GS is the best looking vette ever.
SlothX311 (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 02:38 PM
SlothX311
Pro

know your facts first:
Skip to the end... this ought to be good.

Source? Is this just a gut feeling you have? 2007-2011 Z06s were plagued with this issue. GM never released actual numbers but insiders have predicted this to be right around 10% of LS7s during this time period.

the GS is 100lbs heavier than the Z06.

What "car enthusiasts" are you talking to? If you're talking to the kind that measure their manhood by the number of ponies under the hood then yeah, I can see how most of the "corvette guys" you've talked to don't know what the LS3 is.

No one said the C7 GS wasn't a bargain? The OP didn't mention anything other than a C7 base... which still sounds like it might be a stretch for his budget.

CliffsNotes:
  1. There were no facts
Old 07-19-2018, 06:28 PM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

10%? Show me the figures. My GM advisor, GM mechanic and I have discussed this in length and they said it’s less than1%. If I stand to be corrected, I’m OK with that.

OP did say in the future, or until the C8 comes out, which means the GS C7 will be at a good price point for him.

100 lbs is only the mass, add gravity at 10m/s squared and you get more force on the chassis due to gravity acting upon the mass of the additional 100lb chassis. Plus, 100lbs is a lot of weight on a 430HP car and 100lbs is a lot less weight for a car with 505HP.

Other than being an automatic for daily driving (a cheap secondary car would do just fine for daily), why would GS owners not want to upgrade to a lighter, faster, frankly better chassis and engine car? I’m sure if the opportunity were there, 90% of GS owners would. Nothing special about a GS over a Camaro SS or ZL1 period, sorry to say.

Last edited by corvettemonster; 07-19-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:18 PM
z06cop
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am a life long Camaro guy and I did it! Loving every minute of it.
From the SS to the Z06

Last edited by z06cop; 07-19-2018 at 08:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-19-2018, 09:58 PM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by z06cop
I am a life long Camaro guy and I did it! Loving every minute of it.
From the SS to the Z06

Great choice...LS7...and color!

Last edited by corvettemonster; 07-19-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:59 PM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SlothX311
Agree.

Yeah, gotta call you out here "corvettemonster". First you start by saying it depends what you're looking for. As indicated in the OPs post, he'd have to pay an additional 10k down to make the GS work so clearly a C6 Z or C7 anything isn't in the cards at the moment. Second, you're just ill-informed about what the Grand Sport is. Just a wide body? Far from it. Wider tires, dry sump oiling, added active cooling in the rear diff, stiffer suspension, shorter gearing, stiffer rear sway bar, bigger brakes, launch control, better stability control and alignment for street driving than the Z06, & nearly 50/50 weight distribution with the added bonus of also having a targa top (which the z06 doesn't have.) The GS is more like Z06 with an LS3 and targa roof than nothing special about the GS. Its a track worthy car that you actually WANT to drive on the street.

This isn't to say a Z06 or ZR1 aren't both monster cars, they are for sure. The LS7 sound is intoxicating, love me some supercharger whine on the LS9. Just know what you're talking about before knocking it. Also WTF are you talking about with all C6 seats are garbage? Have you sat in the Sport Seats?

430 HP with a no engine character Who wants all the squeaking and rattling noises that come with a C6 Targa after a couple years of driving..... and ongoing thereafter?

Yup. Swap them when you can.

So apples to apples, if someone asked to swap an exact mileage, year, condition C6 Z06 for your GS you wouldn't do it? If the answer is no (which it probably is)....God Bless America..............

Last edited by corvettemonster; 07-19-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:01 PM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jughead
IMO the C6 GS is the best looking vette ever.
No kidding around in this forum - serious discussion going on here.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:55 PM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by stt816
Hi, I've had my ss for 6 years now and while I love it, I'm kind of getting the itch for something different. I drove a friend's c6 z06 and it was awesome. The only thing I don't like about it is no option to remove the roof. The grand sport solves this by having the z06 look but having a targa roof. I would have to put in about 10k. The reason why I'm thinking now might be a good time is I'm 26 years old and I have no reason for a back seat as I didn't start a family yet. What are your thoughts on this? One thing that is holding me back a little is how the c6 might look real dated when the c8 comes out...I know this forum would be biased to the corvette but give me your honest opinion. The other option is wait until the c8 comes out and get a c7 for a cheaper price

attached is something
I'd be looking at, found it on this site and like it
Because you asked, NO.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:28 AM
stt816
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Again to everyone, why I was looking at the C6 GS...

I didn't want to put too much money into it. Does it mean I can't? No. Does it mean it's not the smartest financial decision at this time? Yes.

Around 10k would be the cost of trading my car in to get a c6 GS. It is also around the same price to trade my car in and get a c6 z06. Problem is I like the targa roof and don't want to spend another 2k on the head change.

I've seen used c7's on the market, but these would be base c7s. These I would have to put in about 18k.

So the dilema was, either get the c6 gs now or get the c7 idk, maybe 1-2 years from now? When the price drops a little
SlothX311 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 08:50 AM
GS982
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 200 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Again to everyone, why I was looking at the C6 GS...

I didn't want to put too much money into it. Does it mean I can't? No. Does it mean it's not the smartest financial decision at this time? Yes.

Around 10k would be the cost of trading my car in to get a c6 GS. It is also around the same price to trade my car in and get a c6 z06. Problem is I like the targa roof and don't want to spend another 2k on the head change.

I've seen used c7's on the market, but these would be base c7s. These I would have to put in about 18k.

So the dilema was, either get the c6 gs now or get the c7 idk, maybe 1-2 years from now? When the price drops a little
Get the C6 GS now. If your not too hung up on colors, options, etc., wait until the right deal comes along. If you buy and trade right, you should still be able the get that C7 in a couple years if you want without wasting much money. On the other hand, I prefer my C6 over my C7, so you might feel the same and decide against the C7.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:03 AM
SlothX311
Pro

430 HP with a no engine character Who wants all the squeaking and rattling noises that come with a C6 Targa after a couple years of driving..... and ongoing thereafter?

Yup. Swap them when you can.

So apples to apples, if someone asked to swap an exact mileage, year, condition C6 Z06 for your GS you wouldn't do it? If the answer is no (which it probably is)....God Bless America..............
My only point to begin with was that you don't have to go "***** to the wall" with a car that will mostly be used on the street with no considerations made. Why live with stiffer suspension, no targa (which the OP said he wants), and tail happy Z if you can get the GS with everything but the LS7 for ~10-15k less? What does all these extra ponies, tq and less weight get you? A couple of seconds, at best, around most tracks when you pin the two up against each other.

Not everyone is worried about the MOST HARDCORE version of a car, to call the LS3 a no character engine is just ridiculous. And no, I wouldn't swap for a Z06. I test drove one when deciding which trim I wanted and Ohio roads are bad enough, the Z06 is horrible on the street around here.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:06 AM
SlothX311
Pro

So the dilema was, either get the c6 gs now or get the c7 idk, maybe 1-2 years from now?
Once I narrowed it down to a GS I shopped 4-5 months for the perfect 2013 to pop up. Can't do chrome. Find exactly what you want and don't settle especially if you're trading your SS that you've had for some time (and love.)

Originally Posted by GS982
Get the C6 GS now.

Last edited by SlothX311; 07-20-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:20 PM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SlothX311
My only point to begin with was that you don't have to go "***** to the wall" with a car that will mostly be used on the street with no considerations made. Why live with stiffer suspension, no targa (which the OP said he wants), and tail happy Z if you can get the GS with everything but the LS7 for ~10-15k less? What does all these extra ponies, tq and less weight get you? A couple of seconds, at best, around most tracks when you pin the two up against each other.

Not everyone is worried about the MOST HARDCORE version of a car, to call the LS3 a no character engine is just ridiculous. And no, I wouldn't swap for a Z06. I test drove one when deciding which trim I wanted and Ohio roads are bad enough, the Z06 is horrible on the street around here.
I can certainly understand your point. C6 GS is a overall great car, no doubt. Overall, OP can't go wrong getting a GS on the bang for the buck ratio.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:30 PM
rgibson214
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by kozmatic
For me, it's not even a close call. The Vette all the way! If anything the Camaro is getting outdated. Even with each new model they generally still look the same. My girlfriend has a 2017 RT Camaro convertible and it's very nice, but sitting next to my C6 there's no comparison. The top down on her's is sweet I"ll admit, but I have the targa top too and it's just about as good. She's got the itch to get one up on me by getting a C7 now. That Vette you have in the pic is sweet and the Camaro's can't even compare.
I concure. I had a 2011 SS2 6MT convertible. My 10-year-old C6 is still light years ahead of the Camaro in terms of performance.

Quick Reply: Should I trade my Camaro SS for a C6 Grand Sport?