C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best way to clean my engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 09:48 AM
The Corvette Kid
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts

Default What is the best way to clean my engine

What is the best way to clean the engine compartment on my 2011 Grandsport. Thanks, Bob
Old 07-17-2018, 09:58 AM
SlothX311
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

Cover the alternator and get in there with the hose / pressure washer. You can use a wax free soap also. I lather all the plastics up really nicely and get into the grooves, lettering, crevices, etc with a small brush or toothbrush. Rinse it all off and repeat as you see spots you missed. I let the engine bay completely dry before turning over the engine but I'm probably just being paranoid.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:40 AM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Once it's clean, the best way to keep it clean is...to keep it clean. Don't wait until it's dirty. It takes no time at all to raise the hood every week and wipe it down. This turns an hour job into five minutes.
The following users liked this post:
SlothX311 (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 10:41 AM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

There were some threads about this a few months ago with a lot of information:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-cleaning.html
Old 07-17-2018, 10:42 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,623 Likes on 2,347 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SlothX311
Cover the alternator and get in there with the hose / pressure washer. You can use a wax free soap also. I lather all the plastics up really nicely and get into the grooves, lettering, crevices, etc with a small brush or toothbrush. Rinse it all off and repeat as you see spots you missed. I let the engine bay completely dry before turning over the engine but I'm probably just being paranoid.
NOOO!!! I don't want to force water into places it shouldn't be.
When mine gets really bad I use Wesley's whitewall cleaner (I have it cause I like the way it leaves my tires a non-shine black) and spray it on, brush or mitt it around, and use a low pressure hose to rinse. Because the water spots so bad I usually dry what I can.
Other wise, I just wipe it down with some detailer spray.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:20 PM
drew_c6
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Cover the intake, soak with Simple Green, rinse off and wipe down.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:11 PM
SlothX311
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
When mine gets really bad I use Wesley's whitewall cleaner (I have it cause I like the way it leaves my tires a non-shine black) and spray it on, brush or mitt it around, and use a low pressure hose to rinse. Because the water spots so bad I usually dry what I can.
I've done it on multiple vehicles, no issues yet if you're smart about it and not blasting it into things like intakes, alternators, coil pack areas. Makes the job go quicker and less passes than with some detailing spray.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:54 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Listen to what the other have said... and go slow, no need to rush.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:02 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by SlothX311
I can agree with everything minus to pressure washer thingy. That could be a disaster in waiting.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:29 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Using a hose under the hood of a Corvette has been proven to wash off at least 100 RWHP.

Use detail spray and plenty of microfiber cloths. Too many electronics under the hood.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:43 PM
jashmore1234
Le Mans Master

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by drew_c6
Cover the intake, soak with Simple Green, rinse off and wipe down.
Close.

On dead cold motor

Cover intake, fuse box and alternator with plastic bags

Gently wet engine bay with hose.

Spray eengine bay with solution of 50/50 simple green and water

wait 5-10 minutes

rinse with hose

use compressed air or leaf blower to blow dry

remove plastic bags

use towels to wipe dry

303 all plastic and hoses

enjoy beverage of your choice while marveling at your clean engine bay.

wipe down engine every time the car is washed.
The following users liked this post:
Ctrhbrpm (02-09-2019)
Old 07-18-2018, 12:08 PM
The Corvette Kid
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for all of your suggestions, they were very helpful. Thanks again, Bob
Old 07-18-2018, 02:55 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
WOAAAA.....you gots to be careful with that Wesleys white wall cleaner. It does work great on tires, but it will permanently spot/eat up/discolor certain types of metals. Ain't gonna argue about it....am just sayun.....
Old 07-18-2018, 03:06 PM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

I keep a 2 gallon garden sprayer filled with distilled water from Walgreens. This water will not leave spots and there's less chance it will foul up electrical connections. Don't use the dollar store stuff. I do water treatment at an oil refinery and have tested it. The cheap stuff has higher conductivity.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:42 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

The BEST way is to take to a qualified detail shop and let THEM clean and detail it. If YOU want to do it, get a bucket of old rags, a couple of bottles of Armorall, and start cleaning. Initial cleaning may take several hours, depending on how dirty/clean it is and how dirty/clean you want it when done.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:13 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

The C6 engine bay picks up a lot of dirt (which looks like sand) and I find that I have no choice but to rinse it down (sometimes using Gunk Engine Degreaser). I would not be able to wipe it down to keep it clean.

I cover the alternator with a plastic bag with a rubber band around it before using the garden hose.

Top it off with Stoner's Trim Shine.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:11 PM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If I do use my pressure washer, it's at a safe distance, any kind of wipes work great for a quick wipe down of the engine,etc.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best way to clean my engine

Old 07-19-2018, 04:10 AM
Gator6977
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Having worked my way through high school and well into college as a detailist, I can attest to using a power washer on literally every engine bay. Never once had an issue. Up close, far away, having soaked some nasty cars in caustic chemicals and spraying from all three side. So long as you don't go too crazy around wired connections, any carbs/exposed throttle bodies (not applicable here), and the engine is cool, you're good. If it's hot, it will make a bunch of steam and will be unpleasant. Ideally, use a garden hose with an attachment. Use a wash mit to scrub as much or little as is needed. Rinse off. If you wanna get fancy, do this before washing the rest of your ride and hose down everything that is black plastic or rubber with some armor all. Close the hood, finish washing your car. Come back to the engine once you've finished washing/drying the car and use a rag to wipe down everything that you've sprayed. This turns out looking great, and is used on literally every used car. The down side comes with dust sticking to everything the more you drive it. To each there own and I implore you to use as much care as you want. But trust and believe there's literally nothing I've not power washed on and in a vehicle. Farm trucks were the worst!
Old 07-19-2018, 07:23 AM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

Power washers are fine on modern engines. Its the people who use them wrong who mess it up. Keep at distance and don't try to power wash the crap out of an area with electrical connectors or joints like the intake/throttle body. Also anyone who has had the low beam recall done, ensure that the GM tech really did a good job with the electrical box on the passenger side.

Those that use chemicals; be careful that the chemical cleaner used does not adversely affect the leaf spring underneath. I've heard horror stories of people using something like a rim cleaner or aluminum cleaner which eats up the leaf spring.

Last edited by SladeX; 07-19-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:35 AM
pbergmann
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by montman
I keep a 2 gallon garden sprayer filled with distilled water from Walgreens. This water will not leave spots and there's less chance it will foul up electrical connections. Don't use the dollar store stuff. I do water treatment at an oil refinery and have tested it. The cheap stuff has higher conductivity.
will distilled water from CVS work?

Quick Reply: What is the best way to clean my engine