C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 01:08 PM
leadfart
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
Nevermind, I found it. Are you coming to Ennis tomorrow?
Ennis would be a little far! I won a bunch of bracket races there, in the Texas Muscle Car Club Challenge. Like running in mud though, on the concrete. It was always 2-3 tenths slower than Hallsville. Tore me up when they closed it.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:20 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfart
It's about ten miles east of New Braunfels, TX, thirty miles southeast of San Antonio. A rural lake community, fifteen minutes from San Antonio Raceway, One of the reasons I bought here. I don't race much anymore, have no buddies to do it with. The Impala sits in storage, with slicks and skinnies on it, patiently waiting!

I miss the old days.
Oh. When I googled Treasure Island I came up with a semi parking lot in Fort Worth, I thought we were neighbors!

I used to see Bill D. five or six times a year during the East Coast Impala points series that Karl Ellwein started. Leaving WAIL was the only thing I miss about moving from DC - they were a good bunch of guys. I tried joining Cowtown Corvettes here in Fort Worth a few years ago, but I didn't fit in with those guys. They're a lot more "show" and I'm more "go". Although I haven't been doing much "go" lately, either. There are quite a few racetracks around here, but most of them are eighth mile, and I'm already at a disadvantage driving a manual. Texas Motorplex is all about professional racing, they don't have near the grass roots racing program that MIR had. I've been kind of getting into autocross lately, anyway.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:35 PM
leadfart
Pro

Oh. When I googled Treasure Island I came up with a semi parking lot in Fort Worth, I thought we were neighbors!

I used to see Bill D. five or six times a year during the East Coast Impala points series that Karl Ellwein started. Leaving WAIL was the only thing I miss about moving from DC - they were a good bunch of guys. I tried joining Cowtown Corvettes here in Fort Worth a few years ago, but I didn't fit in with those guys. They're a lot more "show" and I'm more "go". Although I haven't been doing much "go" lately, either. There are quite a few racetracks around here, but most of them are eighth mile, and I'm already at a disadvantage driving a manual. Texas Motorplex is all about professional racing, they don't have near the grass roots racing program that MIR had. I've been kind of getting into autocross lately, anyway.
Yea, I hear you. I moved down here in 2012, and I told Bill I would put significant money into sponsoring Nationals at SAR. It would be too far for most, though. I'd love to sell the old girl to somebody who would race her and appreciate her, but I put so much blood, sweat and tears into her, plus there is so much custom stuff on her, nobody but a true devotee of Impalas, could work on her. Now, I just haul around the back roads in my ZR1. I deliberately bought a stick, so I would not be inclined to race the Vette.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:36 PM
leadfart
Pro

And I hate eighth mile!!
Old 07-19-2018, 01:41 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Yea, I hear you. I moved down here in 2012, and I told Bill I would put significant money into sponsoring Nationals at SAR. It would be too far for most, though. I'd love to sell the old girl to somebody who would race her and appreciate her, but I put so much blood, sweat and tears into her, plus there is so much custom stuff on her, nobody but a true devotee of Impalas, could work on her. Now, I just haul around the back roads in my ZR1. I deliberately bought a stick, so I would not be inclined to race the Vette.
Dang, makes me want to buy it. But you know what they say - poverty is owning two race cars!
Old 07-19-2018, 01:54 PM
leadfart
Pro

Dang, makes me want to buy it. But you know what they say - poverty is owning two race cars!
If you looked you would want! Of course, she has a sumped seven gallon fuel tank, from our guy who did wheel stands, but I do have the old tank! Carbon fiber hood, fresh converter, tranny, and gears. Engine has probably 2k on it, mostly a quarter at a time. Plus, probably 5k in parts, no longer available. A set of slightly used 4:10's and reluctor, that I was going to put in. ETC...……………………...
Old 07-19-2018, 02:03 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

If you looked you would want! Of course, she has a sumped seven gallon fuel tank, from our guy who did wheel stands, but I do have the old tank! Carbon fiber hood, fresh converter, tranny, and gears. Engine has probably 2k on it, mostly a quarter at a time. Plus, probably 5k in parts, no longer available. A set of slightly used 4:10's and reluctor, that I was going to put in. ETC...……………………...
True! Oh well, we've probably hijacked this thread long enough. Next time we head down to San Antonio I'll give you a buzz and we can have dinner or something and reminisce about the good times like the two old farts we are. In the meantime, I've found a contingent source of race fuel from a small fuel distributor here in Fort Worth that I did some work for. They even sell it in convenient 5 gallon buckets.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:13 PM
leadfart
Pro

True! Oh well, we've probably hijacked this thread long enough. Next time we head down to San Antonio I'll give you a buzz and we can have dinner or something and reminisce about the good times like the two old farts we are. In the meantime, I've found a contingent source of race fuel from a small fuel distributor here in Fort Worth that I did some work for. They even sell it in convenient 5 gallon buckets.
OK, I would like that. The Corvette guys are probably getting tired of our Impala ****!
Old 07-19-2018, 02:23 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,801 Posts

OK, I would like that. The Corvette guys are probably getting tired of our Impala ****!
Eh....it's still a Chebby.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:19 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

No worries. I've enjoyed the back-n-forth, and can appreciate any type of car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Corvette_Ed:
leadfart (07-19-2018), sstonebreaker (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 10:34 PM
leadfart
Pro

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
No worries. I've enjoyed the back-n-forth, and can appreciate any type of car.
He just tickled a memory of good times and other days, long past. I bought my first Corvette off the showroom floor in 1980, in Kingsville, TX. I've always had Corvettes. I got heavily into Impalas in the mid-ninetys, we had a real active club in DFW. I raced many, many Corvettes from the clubs there, in the TMCCC series. I know they hated lining up against me, because I was pretty good, and rarely lost to one. I never let on that I was a Vette guy, too!
Old 07-19-2018, 11:59 PM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

The next street night at my local drag strip is this Friday. I've been planning on going since last month's street night, but I was looking at the weather forecast and it's showing highs of 106 on Friday, which in Texas when you add in the heat index that temp goes up to 113-115. This means that by 8 PM when the races start the heat index might be at around 100-105. I'm a little concerned about this much heat when pushing my car to the limit over and over again. Would you race anyway, or would you pass?
Since you asked, NO. Keep it in the garage and look at it once in awhile wondering if it's really made for one reason. TO GO F'ING FAST!
Old 07-20-2018, 07:15 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZERRY 316
Since you asked, NO. Keep it in the garage and look at it once in awhile wondering if it's really made for one reason. TO GO F'ING FAST!

Old 07-20-2018, 07:37 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Ed, What time are you planning on being there tonight? I'm probably going to get there between 7 and 8.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:48 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Ed, What time are you planning on being there tonight? I'm probably going to get there between 7 and 8.
I should be there around 7-7:30. With a forecast of 109 today it's gonna be a hot one.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:16 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

I should be there around 7-7:30. With a forecast of 109 today it's gonna be a hot one.
Yeah, definitely packing the water. BTW, my car is a black C5 with chrome wheels and fixed HID headlights. The fat guy with a blond crew cut and beard next to it will be me.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:22 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Yeah, definitely packing the water. BTW, my car is a black C5 with chrome wheels and fixed HID headlights. The fat guy with a blond crew cut and beard next to it will be me.
Just look for this. I'll be nearby.

Get notified of new replies

To Would you?

Old 07-20-2018, 12:25 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Well, finally got ahold of somebody at the race track. She says the fuel station WILL be open tonight. $9 a gallon for unleaded 104. Dangit.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:03 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Well, finally got ahold of somebody at the race track. She says the fuel station WILL be open tonight. $9 a gallon for unleaded 104. Dangit.
At least you know if you burn through that 5 gallons you already have you'll be set.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:23 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

True.

Quick Reply: Would you?