C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 05:04 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Default Vibration Question

Had the tires replaced and subsequent to that had one of the front TPMS swapped (they broke the bead and changed without dismounting the tire).

When I cross 60 mph there is a slight vibration (most of the times) - could it be that the balancing is out since the TPMS was swapped (I presume different brands are slightly different in shape/size)?

Just wondering if people think it is balancing before I take my time out to get it re-done?

PS - there was nothing prior to tire change and I am not sure if it developed after the TPMS swap or the tire change
Old 07-19-2018, 05:27 PM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I would get them rebalanced as this is probly the cheapest and quickest option. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Mad*Max (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 05:36 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Absolutely make sure whoever put your wheel back on they torqued it to 100 ft lbs. I had this happen to me once when some idiot buried his air gun on my lugs. Car shook like crazy, re torqued my self to 100 and it was smooth again.
Mad*Max (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 06:02 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
Absolutely make sure whoever put your wheel back on they torqued it to 100 ft lbs. I had this happen to me once when some idiot buried his air gun on my lugs. Car shook like crazy, re torqued my self to 100 and it was smooth again.
And torquing the lugs too tight will throw the wheel out of balance for what reason ??......
Old 07-19-2018, 06:16 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Had the tires replaced and subsequent to that had one of the front TPMS swapped (they broke the bead and changed without dismounting the tire).

When I cross 60 mph there is a slight vibration (most of the times) - could it be that the balancing is out since the TPMS was swapped (I presume different brands are slightly different in shape/size)?

Just wondering if people think it is balancing before I take my time out to get it re-done?

PS - there was nothing prior to tire change and I am not sure if it developed after the TPM S swap or the tire change
Probably a balance issue. That is why I removed and reinstalled my own tires taking them into a tire shop when I had my sensors replaced. I used the opportunity to thoroughly clean the wheel barrels since they had never been done. As well as a lot of filth, road grime, bits of asphalt and brake dust I still had the adhesive tape from a previous balance that I removed as well as the current weights that were still stuck on the wheels. I wanted to make sure that there was a clean surface for the weights to stick to when balanced.

I was turned off having a tire shop touch my car last year when I had a flat due to a screw that one of my nearly new Michelin Pilot SS ZP tires picked up. I went to the same store that sold the tires since they had free lifetime flat repairs on tires they sold. I was shocked that the ape that worked on my car didn't treat it with respect having gone at it with his 600 lb/ft lR impact and then scratched the face of my wheel while dismounting and remounting the tire on the wheel I didn't return to them for the sensors.and instead found a tire store that has the specialized no touch equipment for run flat tires.
Mad*Max (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 06:18 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
And torquing the lugs too tight will throw the wheel out of balance for what reason ??......
Not balance but over torquing or uneven tightening can cause distortion of the wheel causing it to wobble and not run true.
Mad*Max (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 08:19 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

I can loosen the nuts and re-torque to 100, I don't think there is any way to know if they are overtightened, undertightened yes but probably not over?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:52 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

If when replacing the TPMS sensor, the mechanic wasn't careful & allowed the tire to rotate on the wheel, that would cause an imbalance & vibration at speed. Have the wheel/tire re-balanced.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:04 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

I can loosen the nuts and re-torque to 100, I don't think there is any way to know if they are overtightened, undertightened yes but probably not over?
Just get out your torque wrench and set it to 105. Don't loosen any lugs yet, just try to tighten them some more and see if they move. If they move a little they were probably near 100. If they don't move at all just keep upping the torque setting until you do get the lugs to move. At that point you will have a idea what the torque was. This is just one diagnostic to rule out or confirm the cause of your vibration.
Mad*Max (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 08:25 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Just get out your torque wrench and set it to 105. Don't loosen any lugs yet, just try to tighten them some more and see if they move. If they move a little they were probably near 100. If they don't move at all just keep upping the torque setting until you do get the lugs to move. At that point you will have a idea what the torque was. This is just one diagnostic to rule out or confirm the cause of your vibration.
Okay, thanks, I will try this just to see if they were overtightened or not.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:02 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

So I re-torqued the nuts on all four wheels to 100. I am not sure if they were overtightened or not, if they were by not much.

Did a test run and was okay at 60 mph but beyond 75 mph there is an ever so slight vibration (does not seem rock solid). Seems like re-torqueing did help but I will get the tire guy to re-balance when I get time to go see him as he is far from my place.

Thanks all!
Old 07-20-2018, 03:08 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Just have all the tires re-balanced, and you will be ok ...

Nothin' to it
Mad*Max (07-20-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 01:40 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

I finally was able to find time to get the wheels re-balanced and I am glad to report that it seems like everything is good now, thanks for all the replies!!!!

Old 08-01-2018, 03:15 PM
nick14003
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

pretty sure they balance tires when they change them...
Old 08-01-2018, 04:28 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by nick14003
pretty sure they balance tires when they change them...
You don't think that the TPMS swap could alter the balancing of the tire? That wheel was noticeably out of balance (according to the "tech").
Old 08-02-2018, 09:27 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,144 Posts

The vette wheels are "lug centric" meaning that the studs and lug nuts position the wheel on the hub. You get the best result when you torque up the lug nuts when there is no load on the wheel, because the weight of the car could push the wheel slightly off center if you lower it first to the ground before the nuts are torqued. As such, torqueing would be difficult without an air gun, especially on the front wheels, so if you are doing it yourself, you tighten them as best you can before lowering to the ground. After that, I lower the wheel just enough so that the wheel won't spin when using the torque wrench. On the rears, you have a parking brake. I'm sure some of you will say that you didn't worry about this, and there was no vibration, but IMHO, one should follow best practices.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:49 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
The vette wheels are "lug centric" meaning that the studs and lug nuts position the wheel on the hub. You get the best result when you torque up the lug nuts when there is no load on the wheel, because the weight of the car could push the wheel slightly off center if you lower it first to the ground before the nuts are torqued. As such, torqueing would be difficult without an air gun, especially on the front wheels, so if you are doing it yourself, you tighten them as best you can before lowering to the ground. After that, I lower the wheel just enough so that the wheel won't spin when using the torque wrench. On the rears, you have a parking brake. I'm sure some of you will say that you didn't worry about this, and there was no vibration, but IMHO, one should follow best practices.
Are you suggesting that while the wheel would be pushed up if lowered, that the wheel isn't heavy enough to bottom out...so-to-speak... on the studs while hanging there ?........

Get notified of new replies

To Vibration Question

Old 08-02-2018, 03:11 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,144 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Are you suggesting that while the wheel would be pushed up if lowered, that the wheel isn't heavy enough to bottom out...so-to-speak... on the studs while hanging there ?........
Off the top of my head,the wheel/tire weighs around 40 lbs. The corner of the car about 800. It would be much easier for the taper on the lug nuts to locate the wheel with 40 lbs of downward pressure, compared to 800 upwards. IMHO, you get a better result with the tire off of the ground.

Last edited by FatsWaller; 08-02-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:43 PM
nick14003
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

You don't think that the TPMS swap could alter the balancing of the tire? That wheel was noticeably out of balance (according to the "tech").
the tpms is inside the tire which means they need to take the tire off in order to change it, anytime the tire comes off the rim it is common practice to rebalance the wheel.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:08 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by nick14003
the tpms is inside the tire which means they need to take the tire off in order to change it, anytime the tire comes off the rim it is common practice to rebalance the wheel.
mine was changed without removing the tire, I am talking about something else

Quick Reply: Vibration Question