NewTires/Alignment - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NewTires/Alignment

Reply

 
 
 
Old 07-21-2018, 12:23 PM
  #1  
JoeMatilda
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
JoeMatilda's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 56
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default NewTires/Alignment

Friends,

Pardon my ignorance; but as a new C6 owner, I am a little confused and did not want to highjack someone elses thread.
Im half way through my Good Year tires. When the time comes to replace them, I will be looking at the Michellins as per the maany threads favoring them in this forum.

I have also seen several replies mentioning allignments in some tire threads.
Do I have to do an allignment when going to a different brand/type of tire or am I misinterpreting the reply??
My car drives perfectly straight and the tires are wearing out evenly at this time.

Many thanks.
JoeMatilda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:04 PM
  #2  
hrt vlv
CF Senior Member
 
hrt vlv's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Location: Mech. pa
Posts: 845
Thanked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Default

I would and did. A setting closer to 0 camber on our Z51. Tire wear was not bad before, factory setup was more aggressive. The 0 camber is more of a street setting, you will notice the difference in how the car feels. Not autoXing or tracking , so I am ok with it. If you are going to do either my vote would be on the aggressive side
hrt vlv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:50 PM
  #3  
JoeMatilda
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
JoeMatilda's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 56
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by hrt vlv View Post
I would and did. A setting closer to 0 camber on our Z51. Tire wear was not bad before, factory setup was more aggressive. The 0 camber is more of a street setting, you will notice the difference in how the car feels. Not autoXing or tracking , so I am ok with it. If you are going to do either my vote would be on the aggressive side
Thanks! Nope.. not doing track or anything like that. Just city and highway driving!
Whats the reason why you have to align it when putting new tires??
JoeMatilda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:41 PM
  #4  
hrt vlv
CF Senior Member
 
hrt vlv's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Location: Mech. pa
Posts: 845
Thanked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Default

$1200.00 worth of new tires , a 90.00 alignment was well worth it. Nine year old car with about 47,000 miles. Pennsylvania roads are not the best. Factory alignment is not the tightest tolerance. Bill
hrt vlv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:10 PM
  #5  
George's_Vette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
George's_Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Location: Twisp WA
Posts: 1,092
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

As said above the factory alignment is within Chevy specs for the cars but far from ideal for the best bang for the buck spent on tires. I believe they go with a more toe in setting which is as said for a better track car but it eats rubber off the inside tread. My alignment guy loves doing my C-6 as he says it is very adjustable and he can fine tune it to perfection.

I had my first alignment done due to bad handling of my 2009 back when it was new. Car was very squirrelly when passing under acceleration. I told the alignment tech my issue and the reason for having an alignment. He reported he was not surprised with my observations with what he found from the factory. Said it was within factory spec but no where near a good alignment. He corrected the alignment and the car has driven like it is on rails since then. I get it re-aligned every year or two when I have other service work done. Alignment was free the 1st time and charged off as a warranty claim due to a poor alignment from the factory.
George's_Vette is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George's_Vette For This Useful Post:
JoeMatilda (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 05:31 PM
  #6  
C6_Racer_X
CF Senior Member
 
C6_Racer_X's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: North Georgia, USA
Posts: 1,762
Thanked 121 Times in 94 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JoeMatilda View Post
Friends,

Pardon my ignorance; but as a new C6 owner, I am a little confused and did not want to highjack someone elses thread.
Im half way through my Good Year tires. When the time comes to replace them, I will be looking at the Michellins as per the maany threads favoring them in this forum.

I have also seen several replies mentioning allignments in some tire threads.
Do I have to do an allignment when going to a different brand/type of tire or am I misinterpreting the reply??
My car drives perfectly straight and the tires are wearing out evenly at this time.

Many thanks.
If the highlighted part of your post is true, you don't need an alignment. Changing brand of tires or tire models (from run flat to conventional for example) won't change the wear pattern or the handling.

Has the alignment been checked/set on yours? If yes, then slap some new rubber on and drive it. If it's never been checked, then a more precise alignment might be a good idea. Do that either before or when you replace the tires.

Once you're sure the alignment is good, It's also a good idea to mark the eccentric bolts where the adjustments are made with a paint pen. They shouldn't move, and usually don't move in "normal" driving. If you autocross or track the thing, they can (and do) sometimes slip and change alignment, resulting in a change in handling characteristics and very bad tire wear, all the sudden. Having everything marked lets you see if anything slipped/turned.
C6_Racer_X is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:37 PM
  #7  
Turbo6TA
CF Senior Member
 
Turbo6TA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,597
Thanked 427 Times in 336 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JoeMatilda View Post

Do I [have to do] an allignment when going to a different brand/type of tire or am I misinterpreting the reply??


The simple answer is NO ... Just changing tires (to include brand of tires) has no effect on the suspension alignment.

But, if your current alignment is off, you won't get the proper tire wear or handling that you should be getting. A bad alignment can eat up a set of tires fast.

If you have not had an alignment performed on the car yourself, you have no clue if it's within spec. It would be best to have it done at the time you replace the tires ... this will insure long life on those new tires you just spent a bunch of money on.

Make sense ?
Turbo6TA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:45 PM
  #8  
Boomer111
CF Senior Member
 
Boomer111's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Bay Area Ca.
Posts: 14,701
Thanked 137 Times in 124 Posts
Default

This is a very popular alignment guide for the C6.

​​​​​​http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-alignment.pdf

Use the "street specs"

Note that the toe is minimal, keep it under .05 total toe for the front.

I run these specs at the highest camber numbers and my total toe for the front is .03.

BTW find a tech that will take the time to dial the given specs from Pfadt, close isn't good enough.

I see very even tire wear.

Also keep your tire pressure at 30 psi cold, this will take some effort as the seasons temperature changes.

If you run higher psi you will see more wear in the center of the tire, lower will wear the edges more and more toe will scrub the edges noticeable.

At least this has been my experience and I experimented with tire pressure.

Last edited by Boomer111; 07-21-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Boomer111 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:03 PM
  #9  
Turbo6TA
CF Senior Member
 
Turbo6TA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,597
Thanked 427 Times in 336 Posts
Default

And I can tell you that the factory alignment settings are not always very good.

I purchased my 2011 GS new. I am the only one that drives it, and I have not hit any potholes or curbs with the wheels.

My original tires were shot in about 14,000 miles. I had an alignment done when I replaced those original tires ... The alignment settings were way out of spec (no wonder the tires didn't last).


Here is what I had the alignment shop set it to after installing the new tires:

Front Camber: . . . . . . . - .5 degrees

Rear Camber: . . . . .. . . - .3 degrees

Front and Rear Toe: . .- . . As close to zero as they could get it

Caster: . . . . . . . . . .. . . . Non Adjustable (don't worry about it)
Turbo6TA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:26 PM
  #10  
JoeMatilda
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
JoeMatilda's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 56
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X View Post
If the highlighted part of your post is true, you don't need an alignment. Changing brand of tires or tire models (from run flat to conventional for example) won't change the wear pattern or the handling.

Has the alignment been checked/set on yours? If yes, then slap some new rubber on and drive it. If it's never been checked, then a more precise alignment might be a good idea. Do that either before or when you replace the tires.

Once you're sure the alignment is good, It's also a good idea to mark the eccentric bolts where the adjustments are made with a paint pen. They shouldn't move, and usually don't move in "normal" driving. If you autocross or track the thing, they can (and do) sometimes slip and change alignment, resulting in a change in handling characteristics and very bad tire wear, all the sudden. Having everything marked lets you see if anything slipped/turned.
While in the process of buying my C6, I gave the VIN number to my local Chevy dealer, and they ran it for any work done by any Chevy dealer in the country. An alignment was performed a couple of years ago. Since the tires are in such good shape and the car drives straight as an arrow, I wonder if the previous owner got the car aligned when he put the new tires....
JoeMatilda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:30 PM
  #11  
JoeMatilda
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
JoeMatilda's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 56
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Boomer111 View Post
This is a very popular alignment guide for the C6.

​​​​​​http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-alignment.pdf

Use the "street specs"

Note that the toe is minimal, keep it under .05 total toe for the front.

I run these specs at the highest camber numbers and my total toe for the front is .03.

BTW find a tech that will take the time to dial the given specs from Pfadt, close isn't good enough.

I see very even tire wear.

Also keep your tire pressure at 30 psi cold, this will take some effort as the seasons temperature changes.

If you run higher psi you will see more wear in the center of the tire, lower will wear the edges more and more toe will scrub the edges noticeable.

At least this has been my experience and I experimented with tire pressure.

Thanks for the pdf. I keep the tires at 30 psi. Every little bit helps!! Lol
JoeMatilda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:38 PM
  #12  
JoeMatilda
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
JoeMatilda's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 56
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA View Post
And I can tell you that the factory alignment settings are not always very good.

I purchased my 2011 GS new. I am the only one that drives it, and I have not hit any potholes or curbs with the wheels.

My original tires were shot in about 14,000 miles. I had an alignment done when I replaced those original tires ... The alignment settings were way out of spec (no wonder the tires didn't last).


Here is what I had the alignment shop set it to after installing the new tires:

Front Camber: . . . . . . . - .5 degrees

Rear Camber: . . . . .. . . - .3 degrees

Front and Rear Toe: . .- . . As close to zero as they could get it

Caster: . . . . . . . . . .. . . . Non Adjustable (don't worry about it)
thanks cor the reply and the numbers. Like I mentioned earlier in another reply, I know the car was aligned a couple of years ago. But, Given the concensus here, it wont hurt to get it aligned again later on when I change my tires to the Michellins. At least I will know exactly what got done and when.
JoeMatilda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:57 PM
  #13  
449er
CF Senior Member
 
449er's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,549
Thanked 185 Times in 160 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JoeMatilda View Post


thanks cor the reply and the numbers. Like I mentioned earlier in another reply, I know the car was aligned a couple of years ago. But, Given the concensus here, it wont hurt to get it aligned again later on when I change my tires to the Michellins. At least I will know exactly what got done and when.
I recently replaced the original Goodyears with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire/new wheel combo & had them road force balanced but no alignment. I only put about 1,000 miles on the car per year, so I am not worried about maximum tire life
449er is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:07 PM
  #14  
JoeMatilda
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
JoeMatilda's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 56
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 449er View Post
I recently replaced the original Goodyears with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire/new wheel combo & had them road force balanced but no alignment. I only put about 1,000 miles on the car per year, so I am not worried about maximum tire life
A thousand miles a year?? Wow
Im planning on driving this one.... as much as I can. Right now though the kids are home and my driveway looks like a flee market's parking lot, full of cars. So, getting the Vette out of the garage takes some repositioning of cars, plus the subsequent logistics of who parks where based on who leaves when to go where!! Lol

In a couple weeks, straight in and straight out of the garage ! Lol

JoeMatilda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:11 PM
  #15  
NY09C6
CF Senior Member
 
NY09C6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,259
Thanks: 0
Thanked 99 Times in 73 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JoeMatilda

Do I have to do an allignment when going to a different brand/type of tire or am I misinterpreting the reply??
My car drives perfectly straight and the tires are wearing out evenly at this time.

Many thanks.
I would not.
NY09C6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NY09C6 For This Useful Post:
JoeMatilda (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 10:23 PM
  #16  
LowRyter
CF Senior Member
 
LowRyter's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Location: Edmond Oklahoma
Posts: 1,307
Thanked 128 Times in 109 Posts
Default

the factory alignment has too much slop. Go for a precision alignment with PFADt specs.

Too many folks have worn inside treads but still in factory specs.

Last edited by LowRyter; 07-22-2018 at 12:36 AM.
LowRyter is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LowRyter For This Useful Post:
JoeMatilda (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 11:08 PM
  #17  
JoeMatilda
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
JoeMatilda's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 56
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
the factory alignment has too slop. Go for a precision alignment with PFADt specs.

Too many folks have worn inside treads but still in factory specs.
I see so many threads out there where people complain that their tires, brand X, only lasted a few thousand miles. After reading all of the reponses here, I wonder if a big part of the problem is that the factory alignment is not as good as it should be, resulting in worn out tires that otherwise would have lasted at least twice as much. I guess that even though not technically necessary, spending $100 in an alignment at a "Corvette" place when replacing the tires will save you more $$$ by making your tires last longer.
JoeMatilda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:41 PM
  #18  
SladeX
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2014
Posts: 274
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Default

I installed Michelin PS4 tires a few weeks ago and did an alignment last friday. The alignment was within GM specs, but from my previous tire wear, it showed a lot of inner wear on the front tires after 4 years.

"Within GM specs" meant that there was some toe in to go along with some negative camber. If compared to the pdaft specs, my "stock" alignment was off by quite a bit on the caster side even!

I got it corrected and for the life of me it still drives straight like before and goes into corners just as well as before. I don't think the track alignment is all that necessary with the PS4 tires unless I want to push the edge of traction and the car's limits.I feel like I'd gain maybe 1-2s at best at a cost of having to get new tires in a year.
SladeX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:32 AM
  #19  
Cherokee Nation
CF Senior Member
 
Cherokee Nation's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2008
Location: corpus christi Texas
Posts: 5,533
Thanked 169 Times in 162 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JoeMatilda View Post


I see so many threads out there where people complain that their tires, brand X, only lasted a few thousand miles. After reading all of the reponses here, I wonder if a big part of the problem is that the factory alignment is not as good as it should be, resulting in worn out tires that otherwise would have lasted at least twice as much. I guess that even though not technically necessary, spending $100 in an alignment at a "Corvette" place when replacing the tires will save you more $$$ by making your tires last longer.
What is a "Corvette" place? I use the Firestones Wide Ovals RFs as many others do and the Firestone service centers are the best they have the updated Hunter road force balancing machines and alignment machine.If you buy your tires from them free balancing and free alignment check..BTW: They do match Tire Rack prices also.
Cherokee Nation is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cherokee Nation For This Useful Post:
JoeMatilda (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 08:26 AM
  #20  
SladeX
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2014
Posts: 274
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Default

No need to find a "corvette" place. Just a shop that has some know how on how to adjust alignment. A shop that can deal with lowered cars and finally uses quality equipment like a Hunter alignment system. I watched as the tech fought with the mono spring design trying to get a decent balance of camber, toe, caster per side. I think this is why the specs are so sloppy to begin with, whenever you make an adjustment on one side, it affects the other side as well. It's a test of patience to keep adjusting until you get pretty damn close to what pdaft asks for in a street alignment.

If you look at the stock GM recommendations for the car, mine would have been "aligned" already despite having the inner tires driving with a good toe in and some negative camber and offset caster values. The 4 year wear pattern on the front would say otherwise. I was able to get a little over 4 years by catching it and rotating the front tires side to side (my Potenza tires were symmetrical) to give me some time until I could get new tires and a correct alignment.
SladeX is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SladeX For This Useful Post:
JoeMatilda (07-22-2018)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NewTires/Alignment


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: