C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Western Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 08:28 AM
vettfvr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Western Road Trip

My wife and I are headed to Bozeman, MT for a wedding/vacation. Plan to see Yellowstone, Glacier National Park and Jackson Hole while out there. Any advise on driving to/from those areas as well as driving in the parks? I have seen references to the Great Loop drive in Yellowstone. Is the "loop" actually labeled as such in the park? We are not hikers, so our fun will be seeing the scenery from a C6 vert!
Any advice from "those that have gone before" would be appreciated.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:10 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

Our most recent trip was to Glacier NP. We have reservations for 2019 in Yellowstone. The last time we visited Yellowstone we ended up in a 'buffalo traffic jam'.A slight dent was put in our rear bumper by one of the beasts as a souvenir (no worries as it wasn't the Corvette).
Glacier NP is just incredible and we did the Road to the Sun twice (see second photo with the famous red buses). If not staying at the lodges, definitely have lunch at some of the lodge restaurants as part of your day. The atmosphere is just outstanding. Lake McDonald was our least favorite as it was too busy and the tourist buses unload too many people there. Many Glacier Lodge's Ptarmigan Dining Room was delightful for both views and the lunch BUT the road was really rough getting there. If it was paved last year or this year, it would be really nice. We saw bears too.
We also went to the easternmost part of Glacier. While all paved and a longer 'out of the way' drive, we just about had the place to ourselves in September. The first photo shows one of the views. Two Medicine Lake was beautiful and lunch at the Great Northern Dining Room was very enjoyable.
.Have a super trip!!

Old 07-22-2018, 11:26 AM
Richard F
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Better check with Yellowstone and Grand Teton before you go. They were closing parts of it due to a large fissure that had opened up near one of the volcanos there recently.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:42 AM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Depending upon the route you take to get there, there are numerous sites to see in MN, SD, WY along the way as well...………….

drove from MI to WY last summer, along I - 90 and spent 8 days wandering around seeing various places of interest, National Parks, etc.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:10 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rkj427
Depending upon the route you take to get there, there are numerous sites to see in MN, SD, WY along the way as well...………….

drove from MI to WY last summer, along I - 90 and spent 8 days wandering around seeing various places of interest, National Parks, etc.
Yup, I was going to say the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse are nice this time of year
Old 07-22-2018, 12:48 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard F
Better check with Yellowstone and Grand Teton before you go. They were closing parts of it due to a large fissure that had opened up near one of the volcanos there recently.
Actually just hiking trails and a view point are closed in the Hidden Springs area of Grand Teton Park are closed. Roads are still open.

To the OP, in August the area can get smoky due to wild fires but right now it’s ok. This Thursday I will be heading to the west side of Glacier (just north of Whitefish) for week just to hang out at a buddies place.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:58 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

go to Lewis And Clark Caverns

http://stateparks.mt.gov/lewis-and-clark-caverns/

Old 07-23-2018, 12:23 AM
Hebebad
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't miss Needles in Custer State Park but stay away from the back road into Teton Village. Also get to Bryce Canyon National Park.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:03 AM
vettfvr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vettfvr
My wife and I are headed to Bozeman, MT for a wedding/vacation. Plan to see Yellowstone, Glacier National Park and Jackson Hole while out there. Any advise on driving to/from those areas as well as driving in the parks? I have seen references to the Great Loop drive in Yellowstone. Is the "loop" actually labeled as such in the park? We are not hikers, so our fun will be seeing the scenery from a C6 vert!
Any advice from "those that have gone before" would be appreciated.
Thanks to all who replied. Much appreciated.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:55 PM
MannyS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by vettfvr
Thanks to all who replied. Much appreciated.
I was in Yellowstone last month and be very aware that one of the primary roads in the park is under major construction and you are required to drive on unpaved sections that will wipe out any front spoiler. Check with the park hotline.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:33 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Glacier is amazing but extremely crowded with limited parking. We just went down the Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper in Alberta, CA and it is amazing. Definitely a drive to take. I never did see the mountains around Banff though. Rain and low clouds today. Smoke from wildfires about 15 years ago.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:44 PM
klwehunt
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

If you are going to Yellowstone don't miss Bear tooth pass its on the way from Billings to YS and into the Tetons.After you go through the Tetons on down to Jackson Hole.We did this trip a couple of years ago on the Harley when we went to Sturgis.Some really great scenery in that part of this great country.

Get notified of new replies

To Western Road Trip

Quick Reply: Western Road Trip