C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Word of Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 10:14 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
...His eBay seller name is "classicappraisals" and he sells a lot on eBay, Based in Washington, oh yeah I forgot I'm out the $1500 transport fee also (gag). His business name is Auto Appraisals, says he is a licensed appraiser for old cars and such, another reason I trusted him...NSF
This guy?
tps://autoappraiser-seattle.com/

Old 07-22-2018, 10:31 PM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

I think it's a good idea to ask how recent the photos or videos are. A friend went to look at a classic car he saw on eBay. The car looked much more worn than in the pictures. Turns out that the photos posted on eBay were about 10 years old. I wonder if there's a special place in hell for people who would decieve like that?
Old 07-22-2018, 11:02 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

I bought a motorcycle fender on eBay. It was suppose to be in perfect condition. There were pictures of the side of the fender, but not of the opposite side. When I got the fender, the mounting tabs were broken. He tried to scam me. I reported the deception and got my money back, but it took 4-5 weeks. Had I gone outside of eBay, I would had been out of my cash. Not sure how this guy thought he was going to get away with this.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:10 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Oh what the hell, why should I care about him
His eBay seller name is "classicappraisals" and he sells a lot on eBay, Based in Washington, oh yeah I forgot I'm out the $1500 transport fee also (gag). His business name is Auto Appraisals, says he is a licensed appraiser for old cars and such, another reason I trusted him
NSF
Bobby, This is just to help the other guys who read this, because that's why you posted it.

Most sellers will hold a car with a minimal non-refundable deposit for a specified time. Maybe something like $100 and three days. A one-way flight for 1,000 miles is about $300 + a cab/uber to be able to test drive a vehicle, still leaves a big chunk to drive it back home leisurely. If it turns out it's a POS, you've only lost less than $1000 and/or had a chance to negotiate a better price.
Another alternate is to post a request on the forum, for someone to look at the vehicle for you. If they believe if fits your requirements, then spend for the flight to confirm it matches your desire.

Last edited by HOXXOH; 07-22-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:25 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

I’m sorry to hear about this. Thanks for posting Bobby.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:33 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Bobby, that really sucks. I have bought quite a few cars on ebay, unseen, and been very lucky. I did some research, and think I found it. Did the seller's id end in "it"? It's a good-looking truck in the pics, too bad not so in person. However, I think you can flip it pretty easily and not get totally creamed. Might even think about selling it at the next Mecum auction in Phoenix, or LV. Trucks are bring bucks at their auctions, and you can list with a reserve. Give it some thought, and good luck with it.

Jim
Old 07-22-2018, 11:41 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I have purchased 4 cars and 2 bikes off of Ebay, I have been very satisfied with each one. I did inspect each one before the transaction was completed. There have been several cars that I would have bought, but they were just too far away to inspect in person.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:52 PM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

You sound like a good guy, NSF. The seller may not be as lucky someday. I know someone who shoved the business end of a revolver in a guys mouth over something a lot less serious. Needless to say he got his money back. I'm not suggesting you do that, however.

Last edited by montman; 07-23-2018 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:00 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic6
Old vehicles are so tough to buy even in person, never mind sight unseen.
I agree with this completely. Buying a classic car over the internet is extremely risky. Unless you are prepared to go see it in person and test drive it, I would always advise against it.

NSF, thanks for sharing. It should go as a warning to anyone considering buying a classic car sight unseen.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:38 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Oh what the hell, why should I care about him
His eBay seller name is "classicappraisals" and he sells a lot on eBay, Based in Washington, oh yeah I forgot I'm out the $1500 transport fee also (gag). His business name is Auto Appraisals, says he is a licensed appraiser for old cars and such, another reason I trusted him

Uh, you think I'm not kicking my own *** for not doing it thru them That's why I posted this because we all need from time to time be reminded of crooks and liars that are out there just lurking
NSF
I feel your pain NSF....I was a fool at one time years ago also,So now i know what the seller means "As Is" .
Old 07-23-2018, 05:14 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I would take a road trip the the Fuc%ers house and call him out on it!!!
Old 07-23-2018, 09:01 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

This would pertain to any vehicles or Corvettes IMHO. I recently bought a vehicle that was on EBay, paid cash for it by wire had it shipped and boy did I step in it. Plus being the dumb *** I am I did it directly with the seller, HUGE MISTAKE, HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!! So I get the vehicle and it was so misrepresented that I couldn't believe it, the seller F***ed me, I F***d up and now I have to live with my demons as there is no recourse except involving lawyers which I doubt I could win any way and it would cost me more money and anguish. I am sick to my stomach over this, plus getting screwed and knowing this ***** MF'er will get away with it really galls me. If you think there aren't crooks out there then I've got a nice 72 C10 I would sell you cheap.
Rant over but the lesson boys and girls is ****************************
Do not buy a car sight unseen and if you do it thru eBay then do it thru eBay, not directly with the seller. If I had done it thru eBay I would be protected but now I am bent over and it hurts big time. I knew better but I researched the seller who had 26 pages of 5 star ratings, been a seller since 2005, he showed a video of the vehicle and a thorough description, ALL F*****ING LIES and now he tells he to F+++ OFF
I will sell the vehicle for a sizeable loss, but I will tell the buyer EXACTLY WHAT IT NEEDS because I'm honest, but not everyone is, take that to the bank !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NSF
a freakin nightmare......and like you said.....shame on you.....sorry about this situation

Clif
Old 07-23-2018, 09:51 AM
JacksAO
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PRNDL
I was wondering how you screwed up like that until I read, Were the ratings and his seller history all faked, or did he just not live up to his reputation in your transaction? Did the video miss/hide stuff, or was it also faked?
I've learned through a bad experience with a eBay seller that if you don't post a "rating" within a short allotted time frame the seller automatically gets a 5 start rating.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:04 AM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,435 Likes on 779 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I feel your pain. I bought an 82 Vette from a former forum member back in 2010. I had him send me close to 100 pics. Car looked good and I was able to document the mileage (27K). I wired the money and flew to NJ to pick it up. The car in the garage was not as pretty as the one in the photos. It was the same car but grossly misrepresented. I should have went on instinct and flew up with a return ticket and money in hand. That was the first and last time I will buy a used car sight unseen. It took me 3 months to get it presentable. Fortunately I was able to do all of the labour and got parts at a reasonable cost. I sold it a year later at a small profit. The new owner got a near new 1982 Vette and was very happy.
The following users liked this post:
AORoads (08-03-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 11:07 AM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Sorry to hear this Bobby, but thanks for posting this info to make us all more attentive to these kinds of douche bags.
Karma will pay him a visit one day.....
Old 07-23-2018, 11:15 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Apparently this clown has multiple handles on eBay, I was scanning thru ebay and noticed a picture in the lead in to a video on 2 trucks he has for sale that are in the video about the truck I bought but the video is by "Toyota Man'", his handle for our deal was "classicappraisals", THIS SELLER SEEMS TO BE PRETTY SLICK AT COVERING HIS BUTT, the video is supposed to be on a 72 4X4 Chevy that was parked in the corner because it shows the 4X4 as the truck he's selling, which I recognized during the video on the C10 truck that I bought. I click on it and its the video that was done for the truck I bought. WTF
WOW I must admit this guy is slick and probably has it down to a "T" on how this works to cover his butt, that's all I can figure, GOD how I wish I had gone thru eBay.
Now I have to live with my stupidity for ever.
Does this post make sense, I know its hard to follow, I don't relay things to well but its hard to when I see what's being done here. And to boot his feedback if great on 26 pages of sales, so I guess I'm the one dummy that he gets to screw Lesson learned !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now I'll go throw up again
NSF
Old 07-23-2018, 11:17 AM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

That is horrible man. Sorry, but thanks for sharing.

Get notified of new replies

To A Word of Advice

Old 07-23-2018, 11:38 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Sooo...the maroon truck is the first 2/3 of the video, then a completely different black truck being built, then the maroon tuck on the road in the Wenatchee area (?). The maroon truck certainly looks nice in the videos but there are no "truck on the rack, here's the underneath" shots.
What a POS.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:58 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

How anyone could buy a vehicle without actually seeing it in person is beyond me. I guess, overall in life, you get what you deserve.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:06 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 89L98
How anyone could buy a vehicle without actually seeing it in person is beyond me. I guess, overall in life, you get what you deserve.
I bought my last 4 Corvettes sight unseen. Apparently, I bought them honest people.
And, I got what I deserve. Great cars.
But, thanks for chiming in with your words of encouragement.
The following 2 users liked this post by ruxvette:
Chevyrelic (07-25-2018), ratvet (11-11-2019)

Quick Reply: A Word of Advice