C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Word of Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 12:13 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
I bought my last 4 Corvettes sight unseen. Apparently, I bought them honest people.
And, I got what I deserve. Great cars.
But, thanks for chiming in with your words of encouragement.
Thanks. Not a problem. Always glad to help.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:14 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by PRNDL
I was wondering how you screwed up like that until I read, Were the ratings and his seller history all faked, or did he just not live up to his reputation in your transaction? Did the video miss/hide stuff, or was it also faked?
ratings are highly skewed on ebay. A rating % of anything less than 99.5 is not very good. Having a rating of 100% is no guarantee of honesty. Most people won't leave a negative rating until they get what they want from the seller. Once that is resolved, ebay removes the rating opportunity. As a result, there are very few low ratings.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:31 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 89L98
How anyone could buy a vehicle without actually seeing it in person is beyond me. I guess, overall in life, you get what you deserve.
Maybe it is "beyond you" because it is beyond your skill level. Don't be harsh to people you don't know, under circumstances you did not share. Vehicles are purchased sight unseen all across the country, every day, on ebay and elsewhere. And, your comment that he deserved what he go makes you into a target for whatever bad things come your way.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:32 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
I would take a road trip the the Fuc%ers house and call him out on it!!!
Hahaha...
Old 07-23-2018, 01:36 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JacksAO
I've learned through a bad experience with a eBay seller that if you don't post a "rating" within a short allotted time frame the seller automatically gets a 5 start rating.
In general, that is not correct, though special circumstances will cause that. If a buyer complains to a seller, and the seller fixes the situation, or if a buyer opens a case against a seller and wins, but does not fulfill their end of the agreement, the seller will get an automatic 5 star because of buyer's failure to follow through.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:42 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
his handle for our deal was "classicappraisals",
NSF
Bobby, either that is not his seller name, or he has closed the account. There is no current seller under that name on ebay. Given that "classicappraisals" would be a sought after name, I am betting he has gotten wind of your dissatisfaction, or someone else's, and closed his account under that name.

if you do an ebay search and can no longer find him, I would recommend you open a case against him. That does not mean that ebay can get your money back, but they can research his activity for other accounts, and penalize him if they find it is warranted. Opening a case is pretty simple, with drop down menus, and one area for open commentary.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 07-23-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:59 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

I've bought all my cars sight unseen. You'll always find something up with a car like that comes with the territory. So you either purchase at a smoking deal or have a backup plan. Plane tickets are cheap, most Spirit flights in the US are less than $100.

Just take the guy to small claims court, bring everything printed out, texts, emails, etc. And the phone they are on. If the issues are as blatant as you say they are it's an open and shut case. I bet the seller calls to settle ling before that happens as he'll be required to appear in your county for the case.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:28 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I feel terrible for you. Most of us were taught to trust a mans word. Sucks this happened.

As someone stated, Karma's a bitch. I know this doesn't help you right now, hopefully someday it will.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:38 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Maybe I'm just old-school but I would never buy a car sight-unseen (or even from an out of state dealer except CarMax where they'll ship it to my local store and give me a 5-day MBG).
Old 07-23-2018, 03:12 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,308 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by SixAddict
Sorry to hear this Bobby, but thanks for posting this info to make us all more attentive to these kinds of douche bags.
Karma will pay him a visit one day.....
And I guess karma paid you a visit since as you admitted, you violated Ebay's rules by going outside of their process to complete the transaction. Lesson learned, money lost, only hurt your pride. Move on.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:14 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

"BTW, was it you or him that first opted to deal outside of eBay?"

"Sort of mutual Tom"

"Apparently this clown has multiple handles on eBay"

There is no "sort of mutual" to that question, but unless you initially contacted him by researching his non-eBay business, then he consummated a deal outside of the eBay policy.

Reporting that info to eBay can cause him to lose his use of the website. eBay prefers all conversation to be handled through their site, but is real serious about selling behind their back. If eBay sees that the azzhole has multiple "stores" selling the identical products, they might even force him to buy the truck back and refund the shipping. It's certainly worth contacting them, since it costs you nothing but a few minutes of your time.

Last edited by HOXXOH; 07-23-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:14 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
Bobby, either that is not his seller name, or he has closed the account. There is no current seller under that name on ebay. Given that "classicappraisals" would be a sought after name, I am betting he has gotten wind of your dissatisfaction, or someone else's, and closed his account under that name.

if you do an ebay search and can no longer find him, I would recommend you open a case against him. That does not mean that ebay can get your money back, but they can research his activity for other accounts, and penalize him if they find it is warranted. Opening a case is pretty simple, with drop down menus, and one area for open commentary.
Jim: go to my post #36 and you'll see that I question just what you said. In that ad he goes under a handle of "Toyota Man"
To update the sitrep, I have filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and the Attorney General of Washington State. That's about as far as I'll take it, to win a court case like this and the money it would cost is not probable but maybe I can cause him a little heart ache
LESSON WELL LEARNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PS and Arizona Attorney General also
Bobby

Last edited by Not So Fast; 07-24-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:17 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
...Reporting that info to eBay can cause him to lose his use of the website. Especially if he was the first one to make contact outside of eBay or suggest/consummating making a deal. eBay prefers all conversation to be handled through their site, but is real serious about selling behind their back. If eBay sees that the a.. hole has multiple "stores" selling the identical products, they might even force him to buy the truck back and refund the shipping. It's certainly worth contacting them, since it costs you nothing but a few minutes of your time.
Good info. Also, the seller does not have a Washington registered business in either classic appraisals or auto appraisals.
He appears to be in Benton County. Near Hanford. Hopefully, he glows in the dark.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:24 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Jim: go to my post #36 and you'll see that I question just what you said. In that ad he goes under a handle of "Toyota Man"
To update the sitrep, I have filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and the Attorney General of Washington State. That's about as far as I'll take it, to win a court case like this and the money it would cost is not probable but maybe I can cause him a little heart ache
LESSON WELL LEARNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bobby
What money? Small claims cases are cheap to file. UPS tried to **** me on a damaged set of wheels. I settled for $2500 and it cost about $50 total in filing and serving fees. People play a different tune when they are served with papers.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:37 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

. Hopefully, he glows in the dark.

Karma is a good thing. He's probably gotten lots of grief in his life already with LOTS more to come.

Thanks for letting us know about this POS. I've seen a lot of cars on ebay that I'd like to buy and they all look great in pics - but I've never really taken the time
to go look at one. I will definitely make the trip if I decide to buy. Good luck with the truck.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:38 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane
What money? Small claims cases are cheap to file. UPS tried to **** me on a damaged set of wheels. I settled for $2500 and it cost about $50 total in filing and serving fees. People play a different tune when they are served with papers.
Isn't Small Claims limited to $5000? I don't recall the dollar amount at issue here.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:28 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ByRiver
Isn't Small Claims limited to $5000? I don't recall the dollar amount at issue here.
10-15k here now. Depending on how you file.

Get notified of new replies

To A Word of Advice

Old 07-23-2018, 07:12 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Bobby ....

I just hurts to see an honest / good guy like yourself get screwed over.

Just hoping that things with that vehicle get worked out ok in the end ...

Ron,
Old 07-23-2018, 09:08 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Bobby ....

I just hurts to see an honest / good guy like yourself get screwed over.

Just hoping that things with that vehicle get worked out ok in the end ...

Ron,
Hey Ron, I filed a complaint with the Arizona Attorney General today also so maybe karma will be dealt. I would settle for $5000 of my money back to put the truck in the shape he said it was in, then continue to improve it in time, we'll see I guess. I am not one to go thru this kind of thing, I get all upset and ****, don't hold my mud very well at all.
I just wanted something I could tinker with in the garage that I understand, the Vette is well above my intellect as far as that goes and I'm too old to learn, BlindSpot is trying to learn me but even with his patience it just doesn't sink in I would suspect it will be sometime before anything happens thou, and I'm an impatient person so just watchin it sit there will be tough. Guess I'll play with the Vette in the meantime.
At least I got my health somewhat, went to the ticker doc today and he said all looked good
Bobby

Last edited by Not So Fast; 07-23-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:09 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by Atomic6
Thank you for sharing your experience. You are NOT alone, that's for sure. Old vehicles are so tough to buy even in person, never mind sight unseen.
I purchased a beautiful 1996 CE LT4 at auction (as seen on tv) @ Scottsdale Az . 7 k miles later I have spent $13k in repairs/pm, AND car was sent to a dealer in Mesa to be checked prior to handing over the money. what you SEE is NOT what you think you see ........

Last edited by johno504; 07-24-2018 at 04:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: A Word of Advice