C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Word of Advice

Old 07-26-2018, 06:29 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by the kid C6
In spite of all their precautions, eBay is still a bit of a crap shoot. I remember years ago, there was a "reputable" seller who had an account for years, 100% feedback, superstar ... suddenly, he disappeared with over $100,000, leaving unfilled orders and stunned customers.
And every Ebay buyer would be protected with a full refund. Everything is a crap shoot - hey, there is someone who buys a new car today and will end up having it bought back under the lemon law. It is a numbers game and customers are well-protected.

Last edited by Bob Paris; 07-26-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:38 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
And every Ebay buyer would be protected with a full refund. Everything is a crap shoot - hey, there is someone who buys a new car today and will end up having it bought back under the lemon law. It is a numbers game and customers are well-protected.
That sounds like the way it should work out but it’s not always as easy as it seems and doesn’t work out at all.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:06 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I went to your second thread on "advice" before I came to this one. The second one was closer to home for me since I've done stupid things that put me at bodily risk.

Altho this one about buying a vehicle, sight-unseen does amaze me, especially for you to have done it, I've done similar things. But, I understand the amount of research you did on the person and the vehicle, and I might have felt confident about it being "as-represented" if I'd done that much work on it.

There just is no accounting for why there are bad people. Except....there IS Karma. I predict bad things will happen to that seller and he will not know why, or when. That will be little consolation to you because you won't know it.

For those like me who didn't grow up being a mechanic alongside some relative, I've had to build up a level of understanding on what to look for, and when to bring in, or involve an "expert". But it took me a couple of car buys first to learn what I didn't know. And I've been both lucky, and unlucky. Since that time many years ago, I've walked away from vehicles when I just don't have a good feeling about it and don't have my "expert" with me. Maybe it's not a wise thing to do, but it's still my money and my time (and I know my time I can't replace; the money I can). And I really dislike wasting my time but I'd be like you if I got "stung" by a bad purchase.

Thanks for telling us your story, Bobby. I hope it helps someone else avoid your mistake. Good luck in the future to you!

Last edited by AORoads; 08-03-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:17 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by montman
I think it's a good idea to ask how recent the photos or videos are. A friend went to look at a classic car he saw on eBay. The car looked much more worn than in the pictures. Turns out that the photos posted on eBay were about 10 years old. I wonder if there's a special place in hell for people who would decieve like that?
Yes, there is. But first, they have to start with Karma. And as the saying goes, it's a biotch.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:25 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by ruxvette
I bought my last 4 Corvettes sight unseen. Apparently, I bought them honest people.
And, I got what I deserve. Great cars.

But, thanks for chiming in with your words of encouragement.
But rux, you know it could have gone the other way just as easily: dishonest people selling pieces of garbage.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:09 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,332 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 89L98
How anyone could buy a vehicle without actually seeing it in person is beyond me. I guess, overall in life, you get what you deserve.
Originally Posted by AORoads
But rux, you know it could have gone the other way just as easily: dishonest people selling pieces of garbage.
Oh, yeah, I certainly understand that. The above comment just kinda made my hide crawl...
Old 08-03-2018, 02:33 PM
koreanbeefcake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

i kind of just scanned through the thread. Is the seller in the Seattle area? I am going back to visit family next month, I wouldn't mind stopping by someones place to exchange a few words if i can squeeze it in.

I helped a guy on the subaru forums get some of his money back. The scammer happened to live 5 minutes away from me.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:34 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Oh, yeah, I certainly understand that. The above comment just kinda made my hide crawl...
That's why Mr.89L98 is the first one my "ignore list" Chris. Like I really needed his comment and "crazy" icon, As if I don't feel stupid enough already.
Bobby
Old 08-03-2018, 03:31 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I definitely wouldn't buy a car without seeing it first. I don't care what the seller's story is because once it is your car it doesn't matter if he/she lied or not.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:37 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by koreanbeefcake
i kind of just scanned through the thread. Is the seller in the Seattle area? I am going back to visit family next month, I wouldn't mind stopping by someones place to exchange a few words if i can squeeze it in.

I helped a guy on the subaru forums get some of his money back. The scammer happened to live 5 minutes away from me.
Thanks for the offer but his shop is in the very eastern portion of the state, Benton City, WA. Plus I wouldn't want anyone to get in to trouble because of my dumb *** mistake, of course if you happen to put your fist in his mouth I wouldn't feel bad
He has another truck listed now, I guess he makes a living doing this, and because I didn't go thru eBay I cant even leave feed back https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Chevro...0/292658935675
I appreciate the words of sympathy but its me that has to live with my mistakes, and its tough to swallow this one !!!!
NSF
Old 08-03-2018, 09:34 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
That's why Mr.89L98 is the first one my "ignore list" Chris. Like I really needed his comment and "crazy" icon, As if I don't feel stupid enough already.
Bobby
Bobby, I don't understand the people who are posting, "I would never do this", or "How could anyone do that". Show me someone who has never been taken advantage of, and I will show you a liar (no, I am not calling those responders "liars"). It just happened that you got hit pretty hard...but, you will recover.

I thank you for being such a concerned Corvette owner that you would share your misfortune with us in the hope that we don't duplicate it. How that encourages bashing from people is beyond me.

Take care, buddy.
The following users liked this post:
Not So Fast (08-04-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 09:03 PM
98Gambler
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Not So Fast, sorry to read what happened. Sooner or later he will get his bad karma. Sounds like you have taken some good steps against him. I wish you nothing but the best and hope it works out for you in the end.
The following users liked this post:
Not So Fast (08-06-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Word of Advice