C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio upgrade complete on the C6...big thanks to Double D Mods!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 10:44 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts
Default Radio upgrade complete on the C6...big thanks to Double D Mods!

My brother gave me a Pioneer AppRadio 4 not long ago for a gift and we finally had some time to get it installed. Although he did not order from Dennis I had some questions during my install and decided to give Dennis over at Double D Mods a call. I explained to him that I did not purchase the radio from him but he still did not mind me asking him questions about the installation. This was VERY cool of him! Definitely a stand up guy and will be ordering more parts from him in the future.

Impressions: Having had the OEM Nav in my previous Corvette this unit is 100 times better. The interface is ridiculously easy to use especially for those of you that are currently using an IPhone. We ran HDMI, USB, AUX inputs into the glovebox for the unit as well. Some people have gone as far as connecting their Playstations inside the cars. The boot time is very quick (faster than a Kenwood I had in my Escalade). Once you connect your IPhone via cable it automatically pops up on the screen. If you are driving and receive a text message, the radio notifies you immediately and if you click on it will read the message out loud using SIRI and allow you the option to respond via voice to text (Siri). I tested this out today and was amazed! The bluetooth mic we chose to mount on the A pillar drivers side and it feels right at home there.

Installation wise we used a Metra kit for the dash. It did require some tweaking as the fitment was not 100% perfect. 2 minutes with a dremel and problem was solved. Overall I'm very happy with the finished product. It uses Apple maps streamed from the phone which I like and have gotten very used to all while listening to Pandora and allowing you to thumbs up/down and switch channels right of off the LCD screen.

The only negative I have seen so far is the screen definitely shows the fingerprints much more than the factory NAV unit did. We also installed 3 rolls of insulation during the install to keep the heat from the headers away from the Cabin.
Attached Images   
Old 06-19-2017, 11:13 PM
Blk 08 C6
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Very Niceee.havent had time to install mine.Kenwood DDX9703S from Dennis.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:07 AM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Damn, that looks really great!! Really modernizes the car -- simple, clean and looks really easy to use (intuitive). IMO, I think your center stack looks a lot better than the all-too-busy setup in the C7.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:08 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk 08 C6
Very Niceee.havent had time to install mine.Kenwood DDX9703S from Dennis.
Post some pics when you get it done. I considered a bunch of units before settling on the AppRadio. Was really concerned with fitment and how it would "fit in" to the console looks wise. So far pretty happy. I only regret not hooking up the bypass wire to allow video use while under way.

Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer
Damn, that looks really great!! Really modernizes the car -- simple, clean and looks really easy to use (intuitive). IMO, I think your center stack looks a lot better than the all-too-busy setup in the C7.
Thank you sir! I know the C6 has been getting a lot of flack for being outdated but for me it works just fine. I actually do not mind the plastic used at all and love the design.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:11 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Sweet, I know you will be happy with your radio, anything is better then OEM.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:45 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The unit looks like it belongs there!
Old 06-20-2017, 07:39 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

no prob
glad i was able to help!
Old 06-20-2017, 11:21 PM
Blk 08 C6
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by slowstang305
Post some pics when you get it done. I considered a bunch of units before settling on the AppRadio. Was really concerned with fitment and how it would "fit in" to the console looks wise. So far pretty happy. I only regret not hooking up the bypass wire to allow video use while under way.

Thank you sir! I know the C6 has been getting a lot of flack for being outdated but for me it works just fine. I actually do not mind the plastic used at all and love the design.

Will do.finishing couple upgrades on the vette.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:43 PM
jmeirhofer
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Very nice. Looks alot like my 7100NEX. I love the Apple CarPlay. I recently got the Amazon Prime music app (paid for the full subscription at $9.99 mont) and absolutely think it is the bomb. I thought Pandora was the end all be all until I tried this. And it works in Apple CarPlay.

I was using the Map App but found the Pioneer GPS to be so much better. Especially since you can trip record and get certain data performance points from it. I do need to pull mine apart over winter and do like you did and install insulation to reduce the heat.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:13 AM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 549 Likes on 263 Posts
USN

I bought my Pioneer unit from Dennis at Double D Mods a while ago. He's truly a great vendor and helpful gentleman. Can't say enough good things about the whole experience.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:52 AM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

How does it sound with the factory speakers? Does it sound better or the same?
Old 06-21-2017, 10:28 AM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 549 Likes on 263 Posts
USN

Default Sound?

Originally Posted by JJLAI724
How does it sound with the factory speakers? Does it sound better or the same?
It sounds great to me. But my wife thinks I'm deaf and wants me to get a hearing aid, so perhaps I'm not the best judge. LOL
Old 07-23-2018, 12:32 AM
dcz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you able to maintain usage of stock speakers and Amp? I’d like to instal a stub at some point but maintain use of my stock speakers. I know with my old Lexus you couldn’t change the head unit without having to change the map and all speakers. Ideally I’d like to begin with the head unit install and add the sub and amp later. Your setup looks incredible. Well played sir, well played.

Get notified of new replies

To Radio upgrade complete on the C6...big thanks to Double D Mods!

Quick Reply: Radio upgrade complete on the C6...big thanks to Double D Mods!