C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rethinking Grundy Insurance on my '13 427 Vert

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 05:46 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I just chatted with a Hagerty agent since I have Hagerty for all my toys and you guy made me nervous. For Hagerty it's all based on your annual mileage usage. My specific question was if I wanted to take a trip from South Dakota to the Corvette Museum are there any restrictions, and the first question I was asked was how many miles is the trip. I said ~1,600 and she asked for my member ID and then said hold on and a few minutes later she came back and said you have a 3,000 mile per year annual mileage usage listed so you should be fine.

I then said what if I didn't have enough and she said we could increase your mileage to 5K annually for an additional $98 per year. My next question was, are there any restrictions while traveling like are there any issues with it parked outside in a hotel parking lot overnight while traveling. She came back and sarcastically in a funny sense said I don't know too many Country Inn and Suites with garages, but yes, that is fine, we want owners to enjoy their cars. She then said seriously though the biggest restriction Hagerty has is you make sure your annual mileage usage listed is constantly up to date so you don't get into a situation where you happen to run over and then in the event you have an issue it becomes a big deal, and also when at home when the car is not being used it is kept in a garage, that's it.

I have to assume Grundy has something similar.

Last edited by IDSRVIT; 07-27-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:06 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by overlap
Check out metromile, you pay per mile. I have it on all my cars and it was the cheapest with high coverage.
I did. My '11 Grand Sport would be $75/month plus $0.11/mile for 5000 miles. That's like $1450/year.
And I pay under $500 with no mileage restriction.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:11 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Batman75
There are Auto Clubs in all states but are not in the same club as Automobile Club of California. I discovered that when my daughter moved to Cave Creek, Az. I was checking for her and was told there is an Automobile Club of Arizona.

I've been trying to think why your premium would be a little lower than mine. All I can figure is the area we are in, or now that the wife and I are elderly, they consider us in our second childhood.
My old man pays more than I do too, for whatever reason his truck has a much higher premium than mine.

AAA(American Automobile Association) is nation wide, whatever your residence is they assign a state club number, california residents are considered CAA members (California Automobile Association) as that is the origin of AAA. This was my understanding based off my research and what my agent told me.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:20 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane
From what I understand, AAA covers all states in the US
They may be nationwide, and I did look at OP's state and they are there. But as said above by Batman, SoCal AAA iauto insurance is not the same in every other state where there is a AAA. For instance, I happen to like (and lived in) SoCal AAA, so I am still a member. I don't have my car insurance with them but if my insurance co. (one of the three I mentioned before) ever goes bad on me AND I moved back to S. Cal. I'd pick them for my cars.

This is just a personal opinion but saving a few hundred on car insurance considering what could happen is just not worth it to me. See this--it's on the front page of CF and this isn't an accident:

Help This Corvette Forum Member Recover His Stolen C2!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...his-stolen-c2/
Old 07-27-2018, 07:15 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Check out Condon Skelly. They have never asked me for mileage. Not many have heard of them. I moved from Grundy to them when my Grundy agent got disillusioned with them and found Condon Skelly.
https://condonskelly.com/

Last edited by F4Gary; 07-27-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:52 PM
Vetterator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Insurance

See my thread about an insurance recommendation

Last edited by Vetterator; 07-27-2018 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Word choice
Old 07-27-2018, 10:52 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vetterator
See my thread about an insurance recommendation
Link?
Old 07-27-2018, 11:53 PM
overlap
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
How do they verify the miles?
they send you an odb2 dongle you have plugged in and it tracks it in real-time. The app that comes with it gives other things like check engine diagnostics, gps location for towing, route history etc. I have 5 cars with them so it made sense for me as I only pay when I drive. And if you drive over 100 miles a day, the per mile is capped at 100 miles from what I remember. So on a long trip you don’t pay over that per mile.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:57 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by overlap

they send you an odb2 dongle you have plugged in and it tracks it in real-time...
and my guess is the dingle dangle dongle also tracks real-time stuff like sudden braking, hard acceleration, g forces, etc.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:30 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by ruxvette
and my guess is the dingle dangle dongle also tracks real-time stuff like sudden braking, hard acceleration, g forces, etc.
Yes, they are. Since their actuaries can sometime let them down (think of LTC, long term care insurance, and how several/many insurance cos. have pulled out of offering it), "tech" will be an added method to use for determining pricing, assigning risk, maybe even attributing blame (in the event of an accident even in 'no-fault' states). Maybe all conjecture, but it's coming just as surely as no-hands is slowly on its way. It will be interesting to see what one gets charged when there are far fewer traffic accidents and almost no drivers.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:30 PM
Vetterator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Insurance

I posted this on another thread. Wanted to recommend Maria at 239-992-2200. She represents Safeco. Did a superb job for me.
I have no affiliation, etc.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:11 PM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

AAA $580 a year, drive where ever the **** I want, when I want.
I lived in Los Angeles for years! If you’re only paying $580 a year, than you must have pretty low coverage limits. Do you know how much coverage you actually have?
Old 07-29-2018, 11:23 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Batman75
I'm paying $630.00 for 12 months with AAA. That includes liability coverage of, $500k/$500k bodily injury and $100k property damage. $500 collision deductible and $250 comprehensive deductible. This info is missing in most of the replies.

So, what are all of you paying for?
Same coverages for me, was originally $100 deductible until AAA changed their policys to have $250 as the lowest.
Originally Posted by LV Vette

I lived in Los Angeles for years! If you’re only paying $580 a year, than you must have pretty low coverage limits. Do you know how much coverage you actually have?
I have already answered this, except my deductibles are 250/250.

It may make a difference but I am a 57 year member and have had my own policy since I turned 18.

Last edited by Shaolin Crane; 07-29-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:25 PM
427C62013A
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

I use Hagerty on my 2013 427 at a value of $59K and 4000 miles a year in Georgia cost is around $1100 annually.
So far I have had good dealings with them. They covered an accident where this punk rear ended me at a stop light and are going after his insurance for damages. Still going through this but I've been happy with Hagerty so far.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:52 AM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

I know this thread is kinda old, but I just read thru it.
I didn’t see any mention of Classic Collectors Ins by Infinity. classiccollectors.com
I use them for our ‘72 Stingray and our ‘77 Z/28. Both cars are titled as “Antiques” in Texas. Insurance is dirt cheap as is the registration which is every 5 years. Also, our 2012 Grand Sport and our 2015 Grand Cherokee are insured as “leisure use” as neither of us work.
We use an old fashioned local insurance agent in Austin just like back before the advent of the internet. I’ve known the 80+ year old owner since I was a kid and his two sons now run the business. They provide good, old fashioned, family friendly service!
Old 08-10-2018, 10:38 AM
bibbster
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Specialty policies are for the folks who have garage queens and trailer queens, self included. I have specialty insurance on my '68 Mustang because I have antique tags which only allow me to drive it on weekends and less than 3K miles a year, I don't drive it often anyway, and it stays garaged all the time. I quit doing car shows and when I do drive it, it is just locally to the burger joint, park, or something similar.. I pay about $200 a year for an agreed upon value.

If you want to enjoy your 'Vette anytime you'd like, just cover it with your other autos and enjoy it when you want. We have full coverage on three vehicles; '05 Magnum, '05 Sonata, and our '11 GS. The GS is $20 cheaper than the Magnum and $5 more than the Sonata. We pay about $1100 a year for all three vehicles.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:43 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by bibbster
Specialty policies are for the folks who have garage queens and trailer queens, self included. I have specialty insurance on my '68 Mustang because I have antique tags which only allow me to drive it on weekends and less than 3K miles a year, I don't drive it often anyway, and it stays garaged all the time. I quit doing car shows and when I do drive it, it is just locally to the burger joint, park, or something similar.. I pay about $200 a year for an agreed upon value.

If you want to enjoy your 'Vette anytime you'd like, just cover it with your other autos and enjoy it when you want. We have full coverage on three vehicles; '05 Magnum, '05 Sonata, and our '11 GS. The GS is $20 cheaper than the Magnum and $5 more than the Sonata. We pay about $1100 a year for all three vehicles.
WOAAAA....Are you serious in saying that you can only drive your Mustang on the weekends? Thats ludicrous !!!!! I'd be dropping that policy quicker than Harvey Weinstein would drop a hookers phone number !!!!!
Old 08-10-2018, 08:28 PM
Batman75
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I have already answered this, except my deductibles are 250/250.

It may make a difference but I am a 57 year member and have had my own policy since I turned 18.
I thought you turned 30 recently!
Old 08-12-2018, 04:11 PM
bibbster
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
WOAAAA....Are you serious in saying that you can only drive your Mustang on the weekends? Thats ludicrous !!!!! I'd be dropping that policy quicker than Harvey Weinstein would drop a hookers phone number !!!!!
The insurance policy doesn't limit it to weekends. The antique tags in my county limit me to weekends. And actually parades and trips to the mechanic. I only pay a one time $15 fee for the life time tag. And since I dont drive the car much, it works for me.

Quick Reply: Rethinking Grundy Insurance on my '13 427 Vert