C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Pitched Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 08:54 PM
MooseJuice
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Pitched Squeal

Hey guys,
New to the forum and looking for some guidance on a little issue. I have a 2006 base with 102k miles and when I give it a little throttle, the car makes a high pitch squeal at around 2500-3000rpm. It lasts only for a second until the rpm's get higher or until I let off the throttle. Its not super loud but is noticeable. It sounds very similar to breaks squealing but not as loud. It also sounds like it might be coming from the rear but it is kind of hard to tell. The car runs great, no loss of power or any noticeable negative side affects besides it being annoying. Any ideas on what it could be?
Old 07-27-2018, 10:31 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

If you have a squeal, there will eventually be "side effects".

Does it happen when you are sitting still, or when you are moving? You did not mention whether it was a auto or stick...? It could be a lot of things, a bad belt, bad bearing, or ????

More info is needed. Try to find out if it is from the engine, or elsewhere, and let us know under what conditions it happens.
The following users liked this post:
MooseJuice (07-28-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 11:29 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Try reving your engine in park and see if it still makes the noise.
MooseJuice (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 01:24 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Have you replaced your belt ? and it might be one of the tension pulleys.
MooseJuice (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 05:29 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
I agree, check water pump too.
MooseJuice (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 07:23 PM
MooseJuice
5th Gear

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
If you have a squeal, there will eventually be "side effects".

Does it happen when you are sitting still, or when you are moving? You did not mention whether it was a auto or stick...? It could be a lot of things, a bad belt, bad bearing, or ????

More info is needed. Try to find out if it is from the engine, or elsewhere, and let us know under what conditions it happens.
So i tried to figure out a little more what was going on and where the sound was coming from. The car is a 6spd manual and the sound only happens when in gear and moving. It also sounds like its coming from behind the drivers seat kinda by the gas tank. The noise also only happens when i get on the throttle a little bit. Fuel pump maybe?
Old 07-28-2018, 07:25 PM
MooseJuice
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
I checked under the hood and it doesn't sound like any of the pulleys. It sounds like its coming from behind the drivers side and only makes the noise in gear under throttle. I tried bloting the throttle and it makes the sound in every gear under decent load.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:11 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

I am guessing it is in the clutch, or possibly rear end. A squeal would usually be a bearing, or a belt. When you get a chance, you should probably find a good Corvette garage and let them hear it. I would not advise going to a dealer, unless you have one close who has a really good Corvette reputation.

I have not entirely ruled out that this could be a joke by someone who is burning rubber and asking us what that squeal is "every time I get on it".
MooseJuice (07-30-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 11:12 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

I am guessing it is in the clutch, or possibly rear end. A squeal would usually be a bearing, or a belt. When you get a chance, you should probably find a good Corvette garage and let them hear it. I would not advise going to a dealer, unless you have one close who has a really good Corvette reputation.

I have not entirely ruled out that this could be a joke by someone who is burning rubber and asking us what that squeal is "every time I get on it".

Old 07-30-2018, 11:58 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default squealing noise

Originally Posted by MooseJuice
Hey guys,
New to the forum and looking for some guidance on a little issue. I have a 2006 base with 102k miles and when I give it a little throttle, the car makes a high pitch squeal at around 2500-3000rpm. It lasts only for a second until the rpm's get higher or until I let off the throttle. Its not super loud but is noticeable. It sounds very similar to breaks squealing but not as loud. It also sounds like it might be coming from the rear but it is kind of hard to tell. The car runs great, no loss of power or any noticeable negative side affects besides it being annoying. Any ideas on what it could be?
I just went through a similarly sounding issue.
it ended up being an idler pulley but, the water pump was also starting to leak too.
changed both of those parts, and also since we that far into it, changed the a/c pulley too ( all belts as well ).
not sure how close it is to your problem, since you later mention the sound seems to be coming from the rear area.

good luck!

MooseJuice (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 06:59 PM
MooseJuice
5th Gear

haha i wish it was just the tires squealing! it sounds like the rear end maybe. I am hoping its not going to be a huge fix. I took a video of the sound and will try to post it. It is really quiet in the video though, so i recommend headphones. I will see if i can get it posted up real quick.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:17 PM
MooseJuice
5th Gear

Here is the link to the video i took. It was taken while in second gear and giving it about 20% throttle from 2000rpms. Use headphones because the noise is really quiet in the video.

Get notified of new replies

To High Pitched Squeal

Quick Reply: High Pitched Squeal