C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel upgrades, what have you done???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 04:35 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I've had two: the first was DSVettes, and forum vendor, VetteCandy is now handling that biz. The other was by Mike at Mike's Custom Steering, MCS, His were much more sculpted with bigger grips, more of an articulated flat bottom, etc. Both wheels were excellent, but I favored the MCS wheel.
I special ordered my D wheel from DSV at the height of their popularity. Gerardo covered mine with a pebble-grain leather that matched the dash and door panels almost perfectly. A work of art. I really miss Gerardo's craftsmanship.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:12 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^^ Yup, but I think if you talk with Sergio at VetteCandy, you'll find he has worked very closely with Gerardo in the past. I don't think there'd be much difference---Sergio cares about what goes out the door under his name.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:44 AM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

I bought from socalgarage as well. I did get mine and the work was top notch. It's too bad they are so erratic in their service or it would be an easy choice considering the price.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:18 PM
grady
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Old 08-08-2018, 01:26 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

[QUOTE=grady;1597753193]QUOTE]

Seriously nice!!! Who did it??
Old 08-08-2018, 01:55 PM
grady
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

[QUOTE=Jeff T.;1597753247]
Originally Posted by grady
QUOTE]

Seriously nice!!! Who did it??
Steering wheel and airbag by John Caravaggio and spokes were hydro dipped by Performance Corvettes
Old 08-08-2018, 01:58 PM
Prewoz
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch08
<yeah, I didn't straighten out the wheel > Here's my '05 I added a 2012? wheel that was on special. I wanted a smaller wheel, thicker rim, and whatever the grip bumps are called.

is that a carbon fiber replacement on your center console or a trim kit over the stock pieces?

Last edited by Prewoz; 08-08-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:22 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Prewoz

is that a carbon fiber replacement on your center console or a trim kit over the stock pieces?
Its " 3m DiNoc 1080 " 3D carbon fiber (like) that I wrapped around the existing console.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:25 PM
Prewoz
Instructor

Its " 3m DiNoc 1080 " 3D carbon fiber (like) that I wrapped around the existing console.
Looks great! I’ve been looking at doing that vs buying carbon fiber for each individual part. How do you like it? How long did it take you to do the job?
Old 08-08-2018, 03:52 PM
lowNslowZ
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Another warning from me as well about socalgarageworks. I ordered a wheel more than 4 months ago and am still getting excuses on why its not done. I am in the process of fighting it out with my credit card company as they refuse to offer a refund. STAY AWAY!!!!
Old 08-08-2018, 04:32 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Prewoz

Looks great! I’ve been looking at doing that vs buying carbon fiber for each individual part. How do you like it? How long did it take you to do the job?
I like it a lot! I was going to buy an '08+ console, but I like the look of mine much better. The time it takes .... hmmm .... I wrapped a few items. The halo give me the skills I needed. (black halo on dark red is an awesome look, IMHO). I actually wrapped the console twice. The first time, I used Vivid Carbon Fiber(look) and didn't like the look and I had few small errors that bugged the heck out of me. I removed it and the second time used the 3D DiNoc and the final result was much better and it looks more like real CF, again in my opinion. So now the second time I knew better how to initially start, how to stretch the wrap, and smooth it I got a near perfect result in about an hour and a half. (Just wrapping the console, not remove and installing the console etc.)

My advice it you try to do this:
  • Get the console really clean
  • Don't touch the back side of the vinyl wrap where you are going to stick it down ... hold it by the excess you going to trim off.
  • Start in the middle of the console in the curve you don't have as much to stretch.
  • The drivers side will be the most difficult part because most of the stretching will be done there
  • I would be easier to string cut the sections, but you won't get that one piece look because of the fake weave pattern.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:40 PM
Prewoz
Instructor

I like it a lot! I was going to buy an '08+ console, but I like the look of mine much better. The time it takes .... hmmm .... I wrapped a few items. The halo give me the skills I needed. (black halo on dark red is an awesome look, IMHO). I actually wrapped the console twice. The first time, I used Vivid Carbon Fiber(look) and didn't like the look and I had few small errors that bugged the heck out of me. I removed it and the second time used the 3D DiNoc and the final result was much better and it looks more like real CF, again in my opinion. So now the second time I knew better how to initially start, how to stretch the wrap, and smooth it I got a near perfect result in about an hour and a half. (Just wrapping the console, not remove and installing the console etc.)

My advice it you try to do this:
  • Get the console really clean
  • Don't touch the back side of the vinyl wrap where you are going to stick it down ... hold it by the excess you going to trim off.
  • Start in the middle of the console in the curve you don't have as much to stretch.
  • The drivers side will be the most difficult part because most of the stretching will be done there
  • I would be easier to string cut the sections, but you won't get that one piece look because of the fake weave pattern.
Awesome, thank you very much for the feedback!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:08 AM
Bluewheelz
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by TomdaToolman
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SoCal Garage Works!!!

I attempted to purchase a steering wheel from SoCal Garage Works Sept 2017 and finally received the wheel just prior to Christmas 2017. When I went to install the wheel several weeks later I realized they had sent me the wrong wheel for my 2012 GS CE 6M. I had even provided a photo of the wheel I needed. I immediately contacted them about their mistake, for which they apologized for claiming it must have been mislabeled. I returned the wrong wheel and then again waited months and months! I finally gave up a couple of weeks ago and asked for my money back after almost 11 months, Their check finally cleared with PayPal and have placed an order with Apsis for my new wheel, as I don't care for the alcantara wheel that came with my Vette. Hopefully I should have my new wheel in 4 weeks!

Prior to sending the wrong wheel back to SoCal Garage works for the correct one, I contacted PayPal to make sure they would have my back in case of a dispute with them. The PayPal agent I talked with checked with her supervisor and assured me they would have my back even tho it was approaching their 180 d.ay protection limit. Based on their supposed support, I sent the wheel back. A few weeks ago I attempted to file a PayPal dispute against SoCal Garage Works to get my money back. PayPal could not and would not support me and my dispute/claim because the original purchase had exceeded 180 days . I was told to contact my bank, but their support for such claims is 45 days. I reached out to Greg at SoCal Garage Works and after some time, I unbelievably finally received my refund.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SoCal Garage Works!!! They are terrible communicators, the worst!
I am in the middle of the same BS with SoCal. Absolutely horrible communication - if any at all. I have returned TWO steering wheels, neither one was correct for the year I ordered (2012). They drag you out stating 6 weeks, then don't reply to emails when nothing happens at 7-8 weeks....then after multiple emails sent they respond stating that it's "in production". My original order was in Feb 18 - 7 months ago. It blows my mind how people like this can stay in business, much less keep their knees intact.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SOCAL. THEY WILL DISAPPOINT YOU.......YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:03 PM
vetteJPJ
Burning Brakes

Received 358 Likes on 229 Posts
Default My steering wheel

2006 Coupe
Old 09-19-2018, 01:43 AM
montereyredvette
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 61 Posts

Old 09-19-2018, 08:05 PM
GS057
Safety Car

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

I have this one up for sale on the forum parts section.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:37 AM
smd001
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 59 Posts

Momo Prototipo. Cant stand the factory wheel. Plan on having an additional layer of leather with black thread added to it to make it a bit thicker.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Wheel upgrades, what have you done???

Old 09-20-2018, 02:34 PM
lowNslowZ
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lowNslowZ
Another warning from me as well about socalgarageworks. I ordered a wheel more than 4 months ago and am still getting excuses on why its not done. I am in the process of fighting it out with my credit card company as they refuse to offer a refund. STAY AWAY!!!!
just wanted to update this and say my wheel came today. 5 months and 2 weeks of waiting. No thats not a typo, it was almost 6 months from order date to delivery when they quote 6 WEEKS. The wheel itself is well made and looks great but this has been by far the most horrible experience i have ever had purchasing anything in my life. Im just glad the whole ordeal is over.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:11 PM
JealouZ
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by apsisusa
Our ExtremSport Style is very similar to this one. Here is the link. Check it out.

https://apsisusa.com/c6-d-type-steer...emsport-style/

That wheel is damn sexy. If I hadn't replaced mine with a 2012 wheel I'd be interested for sure. Very nice.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:24 AM
BigKev119
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smd001

Looking good!!

I Pm'd you for some info. =)

Momo Prototipo. Cant stand the factory wheel. Plan on having an additional layer of leather with black thread added to it to make it a bit thicker.
Looking good!

I have PM'd you for some info! =)

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel upgrades, what have you done???