C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trip to Deals Gap from Texas - 2019

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 11:22 AM
JoeMatilda
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Trip to Deals Gap from Texas - 2019

Friends,

Taking the wife out of the country this year, so 2018 is out of the question...
Im planning a trip to Deals Gap in NC for (Summer) next year. Traveling from Dallas.
Any suggestions regarding better routes to take/areas to avoid?
Any must see, other than the Tail of the Dragon itself??
My plan right now is to hit the highways to get there quickly, enjoy a few days there enjoying the scenery, and ride the highways back to Dallas for a quick return. Total time of about a week...
With that being said, Im open to suggestions if, in your opinion, there are better ways to enjoy this trip.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:06 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Make sure you do the Cherohala Skyway near Tellico Plains. Fantastic mountain road that I actually prefer to the Dragon itself. Great area. Terrific driving roads. I go every year. Have fun.
The following 2 users liked this post by capevettes:
corvette312 (08-06-2018), JoeMatilda (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 02:42 PM
JoeMatilda
Instructor

Originally Posted by capevettes
Make sure you do the Cherohala Skyway near Tellico Plains. Fantastic mountain road that I actually prefer to the Dragon itself. Great area. Terrific driving roads. I go every year. Have fun.
Yes!!!! Thank you very much. This would be a great addition/option to the trip. The problem with Deals Gap, I suposse, is that there will be a lot of fast drivers/riders to deal with. Having an option that is just as good will be great. This is the type of input I was looking for.

Many thanks.
The following users liked this post:
capevettes (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 03:48 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

While you’re in the area, Asheville NC is a great visit. Biltmore Estate tour plus a couple of car museums as well. Plan on a trip stop In Maggie Valley just west of Asheville and visit Wheels Through Time motorcycle museum even if you aren’t in to bikes. Avoid Pigeon Forge area unless you want traffic. On way over, think about Vicksburg or Natchez MS (old town areas) for a good dose of history and Civil War battlefields. Worse part of trip will be getting out of Texas! Travel safe
The following 2 users liked this post by dpigguy:
jbc1995fb (08-05-2018), JoeMatilda (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 04:18 PM
ki-speed
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

If you can hit the good roads out there during week days you'll have a much more enjoyable / relaxing time than if on the weekend.

Mark
JoeMatilda (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 04:28 PM
bills1450
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoeMatilda
Friends,

Im planning a trip to Deals Gap in NC for (Summer) next year. Traveling from Dallas.
My plan right now is to hit the highways to get there quickly, enjoy a few days there enjoying the scenery, and ride the highways back to Dallas for a quick return. Total time of about a week...
With that being said, Im open to suggestions if, in your opinion, there are better ways to enjoy this trip.

Thanks in advance.
There is a good biker friendly motel in Robbinsville with a fire pit for sipping, smoking and lying(Phillips, I think). Transylvania county in NC is know for waterfalls and the roads to them are as good as the falls. The Blue Ridge parkway is nearby. You can gamble in Cherokee. The Natchez Trace might be of some interest on the north end, kind of boring down south. Just some things to look in your planning..
Old 08-04-2018, 04:57 PM
JoeMatilda
Instructor

Originally Posted by dpigguy
While you’re in the area, Asheville NC is a great visit. Biltmore Estate tour plus a couple of car museums as well. Plan on a trip stop In Maggie Valley just west of Asheville and visit Wheels Through Time motorcycle museum even if you aren’t in to bikes. Avoid Pigeon Forge area unless you want traffic. On way over, think about Vicksburg or Natchez MS (old town areas) for a good dose of history and Civil War battlefields. Worse part of trip will be getting out of Texas! Travel safe
Yes, you are right. Not much in North Texas to see! As much as I like Texas, there is nothing going on until you hit Arkansas. I went to the Biltmore House about 25 years ago. I had forgotten all about it. Maybe a second visit to the Ashville area!!!

thx
Old 08-04-2018, 05:00 PM
JoeMatilda
Instructor

Originally Posted by ki-speed
If you can hit the good roads out there during week days you'll have a much more enjoyable / relaxing time than if on the weekend.

Mark
yep. Agreed. The plan would be to leave on a week end, enjoy the scenery during the week, and return the following week end. I'll try to avoid the week end warriors, if I can!! Lol
Old 08-05-2018, 12:02 PM
MidLife+
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeMatilda
Friends,

Thanks in advance.
A couple suggestions:
1. Eat at the Tapco Lodge/Tavern/Restaurant. Not far from the southeast end of the Tail. Great food and view.
2. In my opinion a much better drive than the Tail of the Dragon is Wayah Road AKA Wayah Nantahala Road (turn off Hwy 19/74). Go at least as far as Lake Nantahala Lake to the Marina restaurant.

If you drive the Tail of the Dragon be aware of oncoming traffic in your lane. People will pose for the photographers at various point on the route and not pay attention.
I second the idea of visiting Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley.
Enjoy and be safe.
JoeMatilda (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 12:03 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
Yeah, the Skyway is a car road whereas the Dragon is for bikes.

+1 on Wheels Through Time

Last edited by LowRyter; 08-05-2018 at 12:04 PM.
JoeMatilda (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 12:15 PM
Vegas
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

The road that goes east out of Cleveland TN hwy 64 or 74 I think. Anyway it follows along the Ocoee (sp) river, that drive is worth it, then you can cut up north on 315 to the Cherohala Skyway and take it across to the dragon
JoeMatilda (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 12:43 PM
JoeMatilda
Instructor

Thanks to all of your suggestions, Ive been able to do better research and you are right, there are better roads than the dragon bacause of the traffic, bikes, etc. It looks like the skyway will be a better option !! Maggie Valley is definitely in the list. I visited MV 35 years ago when I was in college... will be going back for another visit. This is exactly what I was looking for when I posted this thread. These are insights that can not be found in a map!!

many thanks
Old 08-05-2018, 06:24 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Take Hwy 28 from Deal's Gap to Highlands. It's a great ride (drive too maybe?).. Diner in Franklin and there are couple of waterfalls on down the road. Highlands is a scenic town and would be good place to stay.

JoeMatilda (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 06:46 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,337 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by dpigguy
Those are great suggestions to the OP. If he goes to Asheville, he should go over to see Chimney Rock as it's only another 45 minutes.

If we wants to head in the other direction on the return trip, head back through Bowling Green to see the Corvette museum.

If you like Jack Daniels, head through Lynchburg, Tn to see where it's made. I did the tour and it's fun.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:03 PM
JoeMatilda
Instructor

Yes!!! We could do waterfalls all day long. We visited Looking Glass Falls near Brevard, but this was over 35 years ago and never went back for one reason or another... mostly bc of living far from the area in the other side of the country So, I still feel like a newcomer since it's been so long. No bikes for us...just the Vette!

Thx
Old 08-05-2018, 07:10 PM
JoeMatilda
Instructor

Thanks JBC,
we will be leaving the area through Asheville probably in route to Charleston to see old friends for a couple of days before heading back to Texas....(as of this morning). Biltmore House and Chimeney Rock are on the list!!!

many thanks
Old 08-05-2018, 07:11 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

my favorite all time motorcycle ride is to take the Dragon from TN, then take 28 from Deal's to Highlands.

So far as rides go, I think the Skyway might be better for cars. Whereas you can get killed on a motorcycle on the Dragon or the Skyway, in a car you would total your car on the Dragon but get killed quite violently on the Skyway at 140 mph. It's tight tight twisties vs high speed sweepers.

The road from Franklin to Highlands follows a sheer rock mountain for miles and crosses a couple of waterfalls.

Last edited by LowRyter; 08-05-2018 at 07:12 PM.
JoeMatilda (08-05-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Trip to Deals Gap from Texas - 2019

Old 08-05-2018, 07:28 PM
JoeMatilda
Instructor

Agreed. I think im abandoning the idea of driving the Dragon and driving the Skyway instead. Will stay around Franklin, Brevard, and Asheville, then will head to Charleston before returning to Texas. We'll be happy to escape the 100 degree temps for a few days in the summer. Lol

thx
Old 08-05-2018, 07:31 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

You gotta drive the Dragon.... do both roads, but don't do it on a weekend.
JoeMatilda (08-07-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 02:05 PM
RHEACERDAVE
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

From Chattanooga, 75 North to Sweetwater, then 68 over to Tellico Plains. If you come in I-40, take I-75 south to Sweetwater. Pick up the Skyway over to Robbinsville. (The Hub is a nice little stop for sandwich and ice cream cones).
JoeMatilda (08-08-2018)

Quick Reply: Trip to Deals Gap from Texas - 2019