C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust issue: only 3 of 4 pipes have exhaust output

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 04:13 PM
vfortino
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Exhaust issue: only 3 of 4 pipes have exhaust output

I just recently purchased a 2008 c6 coupe, which had a BB Bi-modal fusion exhaust system on it and now have noticed that the third exhaust pipe (left to right) has no output, initially noticed because of the lack of dust and residue inside the exhaust tip. I checked the output when the valve is both open and closed and the outcome is the same (nothing). Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue and help me with a possible way to fix the situation before I take it to a mechanic and have them diagnose it? Any help is much appreciated !

Last edited by vfortino; 09-19-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:51 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by vfortino
I just recently purchased a 2008 c6 coupe, which had a BB Bi-modal fusion exhaust system on it and now have noticed that the third exhaust pipe (left to right) has no output, initially noticed because of the lack of dust and residue inside the exhaust tip. I checked the output when the valve is both open and closed and the outcome is the same (nothing). Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue and help me with a possible way to fix the situation before I take it to a mechanic and have them diagnose it? Any help is much appreciated !
is the bi-modal the same operation as the NPP optional exhaust?
if so, you should be able to look and see if the valve is opening. I believe that these are vacuum operated.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:17 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,442 Likes on 2,801 Posts

Originally Posted by cgladish
is the bi-modal the same operation as the NPP optional exhaust?
if so, you should be able to look and see if the valve is opening. I believe that these are vacuum operated.
Easy to check, the default state is open. So if the car is off, the valves are open. After starting, they should close.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:05 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

OP says it doesn’t matter if valves are open or closed, no exhaust flow from the one outlet. I don’t know what would cause that.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:38 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Sounds like it is internal, perhaps a baffle has failed - call B&B and speak with them and see what they recommend

And for some who don't seem to read the whole post, the OP said it is when the valve is OPEN or CLOSED

Thanks,Matt
Old 09-20-2018, 09:09 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,779 Likes on 1,139 Posts

If you look at the diagram in post #4 here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ally-work.html, and if the BB system works like the NPP OEM version, then the 2 inner pipes are straight through when the valves are open. If no exhaust exits one of the pipes when the valve is open, there must be an obstruction before the butterfly valve. I have to ask, though. How do you know that there is no exhaust when the valve is open? Do you have something like a mild-to-wild switch, pull the fuse, or did someone stand behind and check while you revved the engine past 3500?

Last edited by FatsWaller; 09-20-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:51 AM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a measuring tape and push it in the exhaust and see how far you can go. The side with the valve is a straight through design, so you should be able to push your measuring tape quite far in before you get stopped. That way, you'll know if it's opened, or blocked.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust issue: only 3 of 4 pipes have exhaust output

Quick Reply: Exhaust issue: only 3 of 4 pipes have exhaust output