C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires vs. RWHP/RWTQ

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 02:34 PM
bigron1212
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

I've had great luck with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S....these replaced the famous Super Sports. I have a bolt on 08 LS3 M6 and they hold the power very well. My neighbor in his 09 Z rocks the old super sports and he makes well over 500 at the tire and still hooks.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:39 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by bigron1212
I've had great luck with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S....these replaced the famous Super Sports. I have a bolt on 08 LS3 M6 and they hold the power very well. My neighbor in his 09 Z rocks the old super sports and he makes well over 500 at the tire and still hooks.
I had the Super Sports on my narrow body 06 as daily tires. And they did ok. But useless in 1/2 and some of 3 if your getting in it.
This is why I kept my HP down on this build for a street cruiser and back road worrier.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:48 PM
Bexe
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
If you're not launching it then your point doesn't apply.
well as I said in my original post at any speed I can hit it without wheel spin. I guess reading comprehension isn’t important. If I come off the like at around 1500-2000rpm I get a squelch, but it hooks right up. They’re excellent drag radials, a definite league ahead of the 555r’s I’ve ran in the past and they handle very well to boot.

For a 400whp/tq car I would throw these on and launch it expecting to hookup without problems at all.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:07 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by Bexe

well as I said in my original post at any speed I can hit it without wheel spin. I guess reading comprehension isn’t important. If I come off the like at around 1500-2000rpm I get a squelch, but it hooks right up. They’re excellent drag radials, a definite league ahead of the 555r’s I’ve ran in the past and they handle very well to boot.

For a 400whp/tq car I would throw these on and launch it expecting to hookup without problems at all.
Zero is a speed as well, and if you're trying to say you don't spin coming off the line at a full launch, my original statement applies.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:21 PM
Boosted_Z
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Last edited by Boosted_Z; 08-10-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Bexe
Advanced

Zero is a speed as well, and if you're trying to say you don't spin coming off the line at a full launch, my original statement applies.
I call BS on your point you’re giving zero constructive input aside from being a troll. Why not actually read what the guy is looking for then understand he’s had issues with tires hooking up at speeds in gears. He’s looking for a strong performing tire that can put down power while driving.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:40 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

I call BS on your point you’re giving zero constructive input aside from being a troll. Why not actually read what the guy is looking for then understand he’s had issues with tires hooking up at speeds in gears. He’s looking for a strong performing tire that can put down power while driving.
I did read what the guy was looking for. I guess reading comprehension isn't YOUR strong point. He specifically mentioned spinning THROUGH second gear. That would imply he's starting out in first, and most likely from a dig. Your comment helps this in no way.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:56 PM
Boosted_Z
Instructor

Last edited by Boosted_Z; 08-10-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:06 PM
Bexe
Advanced

Originally Posted by Boosted_Z

Your comments definitely do not help! Quite a smart one implying he’s starting in first. Mind blown! I would assume third gear take offs!
My point exactly. As I’m sure most people on here aren’t launching their cars constantly and want a good street tire. I assume he was starting off in First then hammering down in First and second and so forth. In that scenario I have zero traction issues. I don’t beat on the car like that all the time, but anytime I do, the only time I’d have had any wheel spin is if I’m turning and floor it in first. In turns I can push the car harder than I can stay in the seat for (08’ seats and leather don’t make for great lateral support 6’4 250lbs.).

Old 08-09-2018, 05:16 PM
Boosted_Z
Instructor

Last edited by Boosted_Z; 08-10-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:46 PM
Bexe
Advanced

Originally Posted by Boosted_Z

This is how many people drive on the street that I know. I usually do not launch from 0mph but I usually accelerate hard when in second gear.

Also, I change my drivers seat out for events but before I used that ratchet seat belt option and move my seat a hair forward to tension the belts. I do not know the technical term for the belts operation but it works ! It hold me in the seat noticeably better when the belt is tensioned. I’m 6’3” 240.
thanks for the tip. I’ll give it a try. I fit perfectly with the seat all the way back and reclined, I know the optimum driving position isn’t that, but it’s my preferred comfort position. I’m used to my road race Nissan that has bucket seats for the hard cornering.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:59 PM
Bexe
Advanced

Originally Posted by ptroxx

this should be interesting 2 brand new posters calling out a respected member here with 11k posts
and then he reports him lol.
Your kinda blowing this all up aren’t ya A little dramatic.

Both of you you are brand new members with 11 posts. Not 11k so yes your gonna get some flack.
But if ed actually red some of you other posts you guys may actually know what your talking about.

Problem is this site is getting hammered right now with tons of new members with stupid questions and answers.

So so take it all with a grain a salt and everyone play nice.

I get your idea, but being a senior means that you answer the stupid questions, it means that you take the time to teach because there is an influx of new members that need good information. I’m a senior engineer, I deal with what I consider ridiculous questions from junior engineers that should “know”, but I don’t troll them because I have some class.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:05 PM
rmtt
Pro

Sorry if I caused any conflict. Again it was just a rhetorical question asked aloud about what you guys have seen. Now this is an issue across the board of any sports cars I've owned. Once I'm in the 450 rear wheel area, that's where the problems started.
I would never hit it from a dig....basically just feather the throttle out. Most of the time if just playing, I'm rolling in 2nd but I don't just romp it as that will break it loose easily. I have to roll into it at a rate the tire can handle. I was just wondering aloud where the limits were at for power that would still let you dead hook 2nd gear with any of the tires listed above. I honestly think that is going to be in the 410-440 range. So the only power adder I would possibly add would be a cam that is setup to shine on the higher end vs. the lower side.

Funny thing is I had a jeep srt8 quite a while back that had the smallest Vortech SG on it. Maybe 6-7lbs of boost as a DD. Now you want to talk about a car hooking on street tires. I hurt a lot of people's feeling in that. It was built for red light runs!
Old 08-10-2018, 07:43 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

I get your idea, but being a senior means that you answer the stupid questions, it means that you take the time to teach because there is an influx of new members that need good information. I’m a senior engineer, I deal with what I consider ridiculous questions from junior engineers that should “know”, but I don’t troll them because I have some class.

I'm an engineer as well, but this is CF, not my workplace, and I've been providing help on these forums for quite a few years now. I don't need some newbie telling me what I should or should not do here. Part of having "class" is knowing when to drop something, and not continue harping on it.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 08-10-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:39 AM
C6KWJ
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rmtt
So as the title says, what have been your guy's experiences with tires at certain HP levels?

My last few corvettes.....1 was about 450 to the wheels....the other almost 500 to the wheels.

But even with the 450hp car, getting decent traction on a set of non runflats was still an issue. Most of 2nd gear was useless until the upper rpms when it would finally grab.....I think this was with some Nittos. On the 500hp car, I think I went with the Continental Extreme and they did okay....but I did also install a trans-differential brace to hold everything straight. But still....traction was a joke although I did have a different gear in that one.

Currently just started some small modding after leaving my C6 stock for awhile to enjoy it that way. Right now I'm around 402/407 to the rear.

I'm running a Firestone Wide Oval.....but even a slight "romp" while rolling in 2nd does not hold. I'm sure having a base car with a limit on how much tire you can fit back there holds you back.

So what have you guys had luck with in a street tire and about how far could you take your builds? 425hp, 440,.....you get the point.

All my sports car builds as I look back on them really were taken too far ......to a point to where the car wasn't as fun to drive anymore. Maybe I'm just addicted to the "build aspect" of it.
You need to learn to roll into the throttle and know the point of spinning. It takes practice or buy a set of drag radials like NT01
Old 08-10-2018, 11:21 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by C6KWJ

You need to learn to roll into the throttle and know the point of spinning. It takes practice or buy a set of drag radials like NT01
If you are below 450rwhp and in a Z06/Grand Sport C6 width rear, you CAN get traction WITH a runflat, and never have to worry about rolling into it; I ran thru 2 sets of Bridgestone Pole Position runflats, and I could romp them in any gear and never worry about losing traction. They even held very well on wet and cold roads too. They were designed for the Z06, and many have used them for years.

I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Sports (because I got them dirt cheap), and they hold almost as well, but in comparing Nitto Invos, Cooper Zeons, and Michelins, nothing has beat the Bridgestones for predictable all around tractioon my vette. I'm headers, cold air intake and tune, showing about 425/425 on the dyno. This includes Titusville drag strip runs and Daytona Speedway HDPE events too.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:53 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by Seadawg
If you are below 450rwhp and in a Z06/Grand Sport C6 width rear, you CAN get traction WITH a runflat, and never have to worry about rolling into it; I ran thru 2 sets of Bridgestone Pole Position runflats, and I could romp them in any gear and never worry about losing traction. They even held very well on wet and cold roads too. They were designed for the Z06, and many have used them for years.

I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Sports (because I got them dirt cheap), and they hold almost as well, but in comparing Nitto Invos, Cooper Zeons, and Michelins, nothing has beat the Bridgestones for predictable all around tractioon my vette. I'm headers, cold air intake and tune, showing about 425/425 on the dyno. This includes Titusville drag strip runs and Daytona Speedway HDPE events too.
I’m going to have to agree. 450 is not enough power to blow the tires of unless you’re trying to.

Get notified of new replies

To Tires vs. RWHP/RWTQ

Old 08-10-2018, 12:59 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr

I’m going to have to agree. 450 is not enough power to blow the tires of unless you’re trying to.

i can blow the tires off all the time if I want to at a light. And through 3rd on the onramp in my GS. Guess I have the wrong tires.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:41 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

I'm an engineer as well, but this is CF, not my workplace, and I've been providing help on these forums for quite a few years now. I don't need some newbie telling me what I should or should not do here. Part of having "class" is knowing when to drop something, and not continue harping on it.
an "engineer" that can't get his car out of the 13's is not much of an engineer.was your engineering "degree" in basket weaving?I can come out of the hole with 650rwhp on a street tire and not spin a wheel

Last edited by irok; 08-10-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:48 PM
Bexe
Advanced

Originally Posted by irok
an "engineer" that can't get his car out of the 13's is not much of an engineer.was your engineering "degree" in basket weaving?

Quick Reply: Tires vs. RWHP/RWTQ