Are jacking pucks a must or optional? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are jacking pucks a must or optional?

Old 08-10-2018, 10:38 AM
nohassles

Default Are jacking pucks a must or optional?

I need to get my 2007 Vette inspected this month. I bought it last year. I don't know if jacking pucks were ever used in the past. I checked the frame and looks clean around the puck slots. Has anyone lifted their Vette without pucks without issues?
Old 08-10-2018, 10:40 AM
R&L's C6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by nohassles View Post
I need to get my 2007 Vette inspected this month. I bought it last year. I don't know if jacking pucks were ever used in the past. I checked the frame and looks clean around the puck slots. Has anyone lifted their Vette without pucks without issues?
If your lift can fit in the are where it doesn't touch the fiberglass rockers you don't need them. If not, you do.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:54 AM
nohassles

Makes sense. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:10 AM
Homer3D
CF Senior Member

While they are optional, it is an option you might want to take. I had the leave in puck in my 2005 and have them in my 2013. To me, it is cheap insurance against someone who might not lift the corvette at the right location. I think I spent like $30 for a set of 4 leave in jacking pucks and that is money well spent to prevent cracking the fiberglass should the corvette be lifted at the wrong location.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:22 AM
J.Moore
CF Senior Member

Use them. Make or buy a set. I made a set of 4 for less than $10. Local sporting goods store. Bought 4 black hockey pucks, the hard rubber type. Perfect size. Home Depot for 4 screw eyes. Don't remember which size. Drilled center start holes in each and screw them in. Grind the tips off slightly and smooth on the back side. Store in a zip lock bag in the rear cubby. Insert round end of screw eye into body slot and twist 180*. Done. Works perfect. Adjust the tightness of the fit in body by how far you screw the eye into the puck.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:38 AM
Vet Interested
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by J.Moore View Post
Use them. Make or buy a set. I made a set of 4 for less than $10. Local sporting goods store. Bought 4 black hockey pucks, the hard rubber type. Perfect size. Home Depot for 4 screw eyes. Don't remember which size. Drilled center start holes in each and screw them in. Grind the tips off slightly and smooth on the back side. Store in a zip lock bag in the rear cubby. Insert round end of screw eye into body slot and twist 180*. Done. Works perfect. Adjust the tightness of the fit in body by how far you screw the eye into the puck.
I also made my own.Works great.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:51 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: 1.Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me... 2.That which does not kill me will probably hurt like hell. Coops are for pigeons.
St. Jude Donor '09

I don't use them, see no need, it's frame to jack contact.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:56 AM
jrose7004
CF Senior Member

If you're taking it to someone to preform this inspection for you, by all means have them use pucks.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:19 PM
BlindSpot
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
Same here. No argument with those who use them, but not for me.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:26 PM
nohassles

Thanks everyone for your input!

Last edited by nohassles; 08-10-2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Bad grammar.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:31 PM
BadAV
CF Senior Member

I have them and use them. My main reason for buying them was to leave them on the passenger seat on the rare occasions I take the car somewhere to be serviced/ inspected/etc that might put it up on a lift. Hopefully the bottom of the rung employees that do that type of service are smart enough to take the hint, know what they are, and use them if needed. I know, that's asking a lot!
Old 08-10-2018, 01:49 PM
Homer3D
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BadAV View Post
Hopefully the bottom of the rung employees that do that type of service are smart enough to take the hint, know what they are, and use them if needed. I know, that's asking a lot!
This is why I have the leave in jacking pucks. You would have to be a special kind of idiot not to see the pads under the car so I would 'hope' that even a service tech that has the most basic of basic knowledge will know this is where you lift.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:50 PM
HOXXOH
CF Senior Member

Pucks or no pucks, the most important thing about lifting with a 2 post lift, is that the person who is doing the lifting understands the issues and is doing it correctly. It's your responsibility to ask about their method and/or inform them of the procedure. Then it becomes their responsibility to do it without damage. Don't ever assume they know what they are doing, since once damage is done you are the one with the problem.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:49 PM
cmonkey713
CF Senior Member

You must thave a very small lift plate on the jack. I have seen Corvettes where no puck was used and lifted from the frame rail. The steel frame was pushed up about 1/4 inch where a jacking puck was almost imposable to lock in. If jacking a Z-06 with an aluminum frame I would always use pucks.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:58 PM
windyC6
CF Senior Member

Have never used them either and i've been doing my own maintenance on my 2006 for almost 10 years and never a problem. Might feel better if a pro shop used them though.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:02 PM
449er
CF Senior Member

I guess as long as the jack doesn't contact the body, you are ok, but I use them as insurance anyway
Old 08-10-2018, 09:19 PM
OneBadLT123
CF Senior Member

I just use cut up pieces of wood 2x4's between the jack pad and the body where the pucks go.Works just fine and not some over-priced $50 rubber.

Maybe spent $5 and about 5 mins with a saw.

Last edited by OneBadLT123; 08-10-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:42 PM
nohassles

I am going to make mine with hockey pucks and eye bolts. I have a used sporting goods shop nearby for pucks and Home Depot for the hardware. The prices for these things on the internet are ridiculous. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:52 PM
buckmeister2
CF Senior Member

Makes sense. Thanks.

You need to rethink that. Just because "you" can lift it correctly, doesn't mean that even your Chevy dealer will lift it correctly, to say nothing of a tire shop, or Moe's Oil 2 Go. Get a set...keep them in one of the compartments in the back. You will have them if you need them. $30 bucks won't break you, but a bad lift job will.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:35 PM
Cherokee Nation
CF Senior Member

Hell yes!!! There is plenty of bare frame on both sides to put a jack on the metal frame without touching your rocker panel....BTW: Those slots were not put there for pucks.If they need to lift your car for inspection have them use the drive on lift.I've had many inspections and NEVER has it been lifted.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: