C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking noise when turning hard

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 07:22 PM
Nate_M
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Clicking noise when turning hard

So I've read a few posts diagnosing clicking noise when turning hard and I think I've got it down to a few possibilities:

Loose lugs
Loose Axle nuts
Worn wheel hub bearings
Sway bar end links
Steering wheel gear

Turning the wheel while stationary does not produce a noise. However, when turning and moving forward clicking definitely coming from the front (as diagnosed by driving in circles around my wife haha). Turning left, it can be heard mainly from the right side, but turning right it can be heard loudly from both sides. I checked the wheels before I pulled them off and didn't feel any play in them at all.

I'm going to go ahead and check the axle nut tension and turn the tires/rims 180 degrees and put all lugs back on to see if that helps. Outside of that, can anybody recommend how I can diagnose the other three issues (bearings, links, and gear)?

Thanks!!

Last edited by Nate_M; 08-10-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:40 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Please let us know what you find.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:45 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

You seem to be on the right track................... and in correct order of items to check!

The second part of your question related to diagnosis of certain specific items listed would be below.

Loose lug nut: could lead to vibration or noise, potential wheel coming off depending upon how loose.

Loose axle nuts: typically noise while moving under load (torque applied) or weight.

These top 2 would be most likely of "clicking type noises."

Worn wheel hub bearings would be growl or groan type noise, or excessive movement of the wheel assembly if moved in any direction. Commonly louder on turns when the bearing is under load.

Sway Bar End Links would cause rattles especially over bumps, or whenever the suspension components move up or down relative to the bar attachment points.

Steering gear would also be felt in steering wheel, as a direct connection is made there. May be binding, difficult to rotate, due to the hydraulics or electronics in the various applications used in vehicles today.

Best of luck getting it resolved.
The following users liked this post:
Nate_M (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 08:01 PM
Nate_M
Racer

Originally Posted by rkj427
You seem to be on the right track................... and in correct order of items to check!

The second part of your question related to diagnosis of certain specific items listed would be below.

Loose lug nut: could lead to vibration or noise, potential wheel coming off depending upon how loose.

Loose axle nuts: typically noise while moving under load (torque applied) or weight.

These top 2 would be most likely of "clicking type noises."

Worn wheel hub bearings would be growl or groan type noise, or excessive movement of the wheel assembly if moved in any direction. Commonly louder on turns when the bearing is under load.

Sway Bar End Links would cause rattles especially over bumps, or whenever the suspension components move up or down relative to the bar attachment points.

Steering gear would also be felt in steering wheel, as a direct connection is made there. May be binding, difficult to rotate, due to the hydraulics or electronics in the various applications used in vehicles today.

Best of luck getting it resolved.
Thanks for confirming I'm headed in the right direction. Unfortunately, your last statement about feeling the clicking in the steering wheel if it's the steering gear is relevant because I CAN feel it in the wheel I've got 40k miles on her, so I'm probably going to go ahead and pull the trigger on sway bar links all around anyway. I'll likely put the wheel hub last.

I'll be sure to check back in with everybody once I get through the likely culprits.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:08 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Seldom that a steering gear would create a "clicking noise" as well as be felt in the wheel..................... if so, you can check the joint on the steering gear (bolt) to make sure it is tight too!

Majority of steering gear issues are leaks, or hard to turn (binding) due to internal seal concerns.

Start with the easiest, most common items, and proceed from there!
Nate_M (08-11-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 09:04 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

This may sound too simple but I developed a loud clicking noise when turning some time back. My technician listen to it and had no idea but an old suspension guy did. Pulled both front wheels, cleaned hub matting surface on wheel and spindle, and reassembled torquing to specs. Noise gone! 2008 base coupe with suspension option and polished wheels. Clean yours when you pull the wheels. Good luck - hope it’s as simple as mine was to fix.
Nate_M (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 10:00 PM
Nate_M
Racer

Originally Posted by rkj427
Seldom that a steering gear would create a "clicking noise" as well as be felt in the wheel..................... if so, you can check the joint on the steering gear (bolt) to make sure it is tight too!

Majority of steering gear issues are leaks, or hard to turn (binding) due to internal seal concerns.

Start with the easiest, most common items, and proceed from there!
Right. Think cheap horses, not expensive zebras. Good point
Old 08-11-2018, 12:51 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Nate_M
Thanks for confirming I'm headed in the right direction. Unfortunately, your last statement about feeling the clicking in the steering wheel if it's the steering gear is relevant because I CAN feel it in the wheel I've got 40k miles on her, so I'm probably going to go ahead and pull the trigger on sway bar links all around anyway. I'll likely put the wheel hub last.

I'll be sure to check back in with everybody once I get through the likely culprits.
Sway bar links won't make clicking noises, but a bad bearing can. Jack up the car and try to wiggle the wheel at the 6 and 12 positions to find looseness. If it moves you've found the problem. Otherwise, follow dpigguy's suggestion. When you have the wheel off, closely check the tread for evidence of misalignment. One other thing is to put a chalk mark on the tire close to the valve stem. Then drive your circle to either the left or right while you or the wife can count clicks per tire revolution. Check both sides. The side that matches the clicks per revolution is the problem side.

Last edited by HOXXOH; 08-11-2018 at 12:54 AM.
Nate_M (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 12:58 PM
Nate_M
Racer

Welp, good news. I took the lugs off and rotated the tires 180 degrees, then torqued everything back down. Presto, clicking gone.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and advice. Really appreciate your time!
Vet Interested (08-15-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 04:17 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Glad you have it corrected, and THANK YOU for stopping back and letting other's know what it was!
Old 08-14-2018, 09:46 PM
MightyMike
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dpigguy
This may sound too simple but I developed a loud clicking noise when turning some time back. My technician listen to it and had no idea but an old suspension guy did. Pulled both front wheels, cleaned hub matting surface on wheel and spindle, and reassembled torquing to specs. Noise gone! 2008 base coupe with suspension option and polished wheels. Clean yours when you pull the wheels. Good luck - hope it’s as simple as mine was to fix.
This fixed my issue about a month back... It was driving me crazy.. It's actually quite common.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:17 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

The rear on my car was making a noise like that. A fluid change fixed the problem. You seem to imply that the noise is in the front?
Old 08-16-2018, 12:20 PM
MightyMike
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRyter
The rear on my car was making a noise like that. A fluid change fixed the problem. You seem to imply that the noise is in the front?
I did assume that the noise was coming from the front of the car. My bad! Glad to hear you resolved the issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Clicking noise when turning hard

Quick Reply: Clicking noise when turning hard