C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 12:22 AM
badams1897
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I put the sony xav-ax5000 in mine with a nice backup camera and love it!
Old 08-21-2018, 10:39 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 190 Posts
Default AVIC8201NEX with RP5-GM11

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
I'm not sure your installer knows what he is talking about. When I go to iDatalink's website they don't even list an interface that is compatible with the 2005-13 Corvette. They only offer steering wheel controls for the C6. The Pac Audio RP5-GM11 is the best option for a C6.
I'm waiting for UPS and doing the RP5-GM11 with Pioneer Head unit. A few question's. Did you find the Pac GM11 easy to install. Also did you hook up the "VSS" wire and power lead to send output signal for the Bose / Amp system. Most important did you use the factory XM antenna or the aftermarket and if aftermarket where did you place the antenna ? Thanks Jeff. doing mine over the weekend as long as UPS doesn't let me down
Old 08-21-2018, 11:11 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffs64
I'm waiting for UPS and doing the RP5-GM11 with Pioneer Head unit. A few question's. Did you find the Pac GM11 easy to install. Also did you hook up the "VSS" wire and power lead to send output signal for the Bose / Amp system. Most important did you use the factory XM antenna or the aftermarket and if aftermarket where did you place the antenna ? Thanks Jeff. doing mine over the weekend as long as UPS doesn't let me down
As far as the RP5-GM11, I hooked up all the wires. Basically it is mostly just connecting color matching wires together. Not too complicated. The speaker wires alone count for 8 of the wires you need to connect. And yes, make sure you connect the amp/remote wire so your amp turns on with the head unit. That goes for Bose and non-Bose systems.

As for the XM antenna, I have not been happy with my XM reception. I originally connected to the factory antenna, above the rear drivers side wheel well, and was not happy with the reception. I then tried the aftermarket antenna that came with the XM tuner, and it was no better. I also tried the antenna to a magnet attached to the rear internal bumper that I saw on a thread in the forum and that was not any better for me either. I have since cancelled XM in my Corvette. I'm not sure if it is the area I live in, or the car, or a combination of both. Hopefully you have better luck. I find that my cars with Sirius have always had better reception but with the Vette and XM it was especially bad.
The following users liked this post:
jeffs64 (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 11:16 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm not sure your installer knows what he is talking about. When I go to iDatalink's website they don't even list an interface that is compatible with the 2005-13 Corvette. They only offer steering wheel controls for the C6. The Pac Audio RP5-GM11 is the best option for a C6.
iDatalink is not available for our cars yet. I spoke to them. They are a small company. They say it's on their list but not sure when it will happen.

As for the Head unit: I highly recommend the new Pioneer AVIC W8400. It's very pricey but worth it.

Last edited by Matthewstorm; 08-21-2018 at 11:17 PM.
jeffs64 (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 01:11 AM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Default Xm

As far as the RP5-GM11, I hooked up all the wires. Basically it is mostly just connecting color matching wires together. Not too complicated. The speaker wires alone count for 8 of the wires you need to connect. And yes, make sure you connect the amp/remote wire so your amp turns on with the head unit. That goes for Bose and non-Bose systems.

As for the XM antenna, I have not been happy with my XM reception. I originally connected to the factory antenna, above the rear drivers side wheel well, and was not happy with the reception. I then tried the aftermarket antenna that came with the XM tuner, and it was no better. I also tried the antenna to a magnet attached to the rear internal bumper that I saw on a thread in the forum and that was not any better for me either. I have since cancelled XM in my Corvette. I'm not sure if it is the area I live in, or the car, or a combination of both. Hopefully you have better luck. I find that my cars with Sirius have always had better reception but with the Vette and XM it was especially bad.

Hey. Thanks for info very helpful. I live in the Reno Nevada area and get very good XM signal 2008 C6 w/factory Nav W/Bose and XM
I’ve driven thru Tahoe and all the way to SF California and never lost a signal. I’m going to try the factory antenna first. I guess they are in the outside mirrors. It just might be the area. I use my XM all the time. I for sure won’t put it on the roof or outside the car anywhere. That will look like crap !!! You might even have a bad tuner maybe. Again thanks so much for responding so quickly. I’ll post my results
Old 08-22-2018, 01:19 AM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Default Avic 8400

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm

iDatalink is not available for our cars yet. I spoke to them. They are a small company. They say it's on their list but not sure when it will happen.

As for the Head unit: I highly recommend the new Pioneer AVIC W8400. It's very pricey but worth it.
have you installed the 8400 ? On the fit guide it said it’s to deep in length to fit not enough clearance so I did not purchase that one but purchased the 8201nex instead. If it does fit I’m Going to exchange it for the 8400. Let me know thanks Jeff
Old 08-22-2018, 02:21 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Anyone have an aftermarket head unit that will go from power off to playing FM radio in under 5 seconds?
Old 08-22-2018, 08:23 PM
grady
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Does this mean wires are spliced together or are they joined by a harness?
Old 08-22-2018, 08:44 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by grady

Your head unit has wires coming from it. Those wires connect to the corresponding wires on the Pac Audio wiring interface. After that, your head unit is basically plug and play with your GM connecters on your car. I used crimp style connectors to connect the wires. Use either crimp style connectors or solder the wires together.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:35 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Originally Posted by jeffs64

have you installed the 8400 ? On the fit guide it said it’s to deep in length to fit not enough clearance so I did not purchase that one but purchased the 8201nex instead. If it does fit I’m Going to exchange it for the 8400. Let me know thanks Jeff

Yes, I have it installed. The 8400 fits perfectly. Don't pay attention to the guide. It's wrong.

Last edited by Matthewstorm; 08-22-2018 at 11:35 PM.
jeffs64 (08-25-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:36 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
Anyone have an aftermarket head unit that will go from power off to playing FM radio in under 5 seconds?
Pioneer AVIC 8400
jeffs64 (08-25-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 10:44 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Yes
Old 08-24-2018, 11:06 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Default SXV300v1

Installed my AVIC8201NEX W/RP5-GM11 placed the XM antenna Just behind the taillights and used Velcro to attach the antenna to the top inside the bumper cover on the passenger side. I was very concerned as many people have said I would not get a good signal behind the taillights. As you said maybe I'll have better luck. I was very surprised. I'm receiving full strength signal even in my garage. Placed the Nav antenna right above the center vents inside the dash. Anyway just an update. Again thanks for your help. I'm to tired tonight to post pic's. I'll post some tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:28 AM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Yes, I have it installed. The 8400 fits perfectly. Don't pay attention to the guide. It's wrong.
Thanks for info. I did my install today did Avic8201Nex. In 2008 C6 LT3 W/Factory Nav. I had to remove the rear plastic guide inside the dash so it would slide all the way in. The Factory Nav has a guide pin that pertrudes out the back of the unit. Once removed that mount I could have done the 8400. Saved a little cash on 8201. Was only $650 shipped. Maybe your car is a different year and yours a vert that has a different internal dash.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:40 AM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by grady

I do not want to step on RedFred. But yes the wires are color coded. Just match up each wire to the same color. No cutting on factory harness at all. On the Pioneer Avic8201 W / RP5-Gm11. There’s one blue wire on the harness not used on RP5 so just do not connect that one. There is a blue wire with white stripe and that one does get used if you have a Factory Bose Amp. Hope that helps.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:33 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Pioneer AVIC 8400
Do you know who writes the maps for this unit? Is it Garmin? I looked on the Crutchfield site but saw no mention...thanks!
Old 08-25-2018, 11:22 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RobLo
Do you know who writes the maps for this unit? Is it Garmin? I looked on the Crutchfield site but saw no mention...thanks!
HERE Technologies does the maps for Pioneer. Garmin is available through the Kenwood units.
jeffs64 (08-25-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To New head unit?

Old 08-26-2018, 10:55 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Pioneer AVIC 8400
Interesting. According to Crutchfield's website, the AVIC 8400 takes about 12.1 seconds to startup.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:03 AM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts

Interesting. According to Crutchfield's website, the AVIC 8400 takes about 12.1 seconds to startup.
Interesting. Startup time for my 8201NEX is 14.1 seconds and that seems about right from experience. There are probably three times that are of interest: time for rear camera to display, media center boot time, and navigation boot time. On my 8201 the rear camera will display almost instantly...a second or two max. I would assume that the 8400 is similar. However, the navigation components feels like it takes forever to start, which is somewhat annoying. I haven''t timed it, but feels like around 15s on top of the initial boot.. Hopefully the 8400 does better.

Last edited by CrystalRedTed; 08-26-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:12 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

That might be for complete start up time, but some features are available sooner. For example, on my 8200, backup camera is ready right after start up and music begins to play before the background screen is finished loading. The one time I timed my 8200, the FM started to play at about 7 seconds into startup. The 8400 may have a quicker time as claimed.

Quick Reply: New head unit?