C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 08:31 PM
fworner
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just finished an install of the AVIC-W8400Nex in my '06. Also swapped the steering wheel and clock spring giving me steering wheel controls. The head unit fit perfectly without modification .
The following 2 users liked this post by fworner:
corvette312 (10-24-2018), jeffs64 (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 10:05 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by fworner
I just finished an install of the AVIC-W8400Nex in my '06. Also swapped the steering wheel and clock spring giving me steering wheel controls. The head unit fit perfectly without modification .
Interesting. Was your car equipped with Factory Nav or the standard radio. That 8400 looks like it’s pretty nice. Do you use the wireless CarPlay or Android auto ? I had to do some modifications to get mine in.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:29 PM
fworner
Heel & Toe

I replaced the factory nag unit. The screen was starting to give me problems in daylight with the top down. I put in a USB extension cable I got on Amazon to replace the cigarette lighter in the console. It has 2 USB outlets so i can use either Android Auto or Car Play. I have a Sanding and wife has an iPhone.
USB Dash Flush Mount Cable -... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EBQT0PY?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
The following users liked this post:
jeffs64 (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 03:55 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 190 Posts

I thought the W8400 had wireless Apple CarPlay. Do you use it that way ?
Old 10-10-2018, 03:29 PM
fworner
Heel & Toe

Haven't tried the wireless CarPlay. Android wireless requires Pie and my older Samsung is a version behind.
jeffs64 (10-18-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 02:32 PM
NBVette_Canada
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 146 Posts

I am currently considering an AVIC-8400NEX or an AVIC-7201NEX (AVIC-7200 NEX with backup cam included) for my '07. According to my local Pioneer dealer, the AVIC-8201NEX is last year's model and no longer available (to him) and would be new old stock for anyone selling online.

Questions:
Is the capacitive screen on the 8400 that much better than the resistive screen of the 7200 to justify an approximately $500 difference in price?
What other features are included in the 8400 that don't exist in the 7200 (other than wireless Apple CarPlay and mirror casting)?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 11-14-2018, 09:27 PM
fworner
Heel & Toe

Upgraded my Phone to a Pixel 3xl. Works great with the AV IC-w8400nex and logs in wireless. The screen is easy to see in most daylight conditions. I like the unit so much, that I upgraded my daily driver, a 2013 GMC Acadia to the same head unit.
jeffs64 (11-15-2018)
Old 02-04-2019, 11:12 PM
Jazsmine Guthmiller
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom startup screen

Originally Posted by mrk1957
The options are seemingly endless. I've got the 9 speaker Bose in my '13 GS. I went with a KENWOOD DDX795 and happy with it.
I used the PAC interface, although the installer said the iDatalink interface would've been a better interface. I'd already bought the PAC so we used that. The interface may be worth more research for you.
Otherwise, other than the rear speaker output which is minimal, I'm happy with the setup for now.
Can you load a custom startup screen with this model?
Old 02-06-2019, 02:41 AM
fworner
Heel & Toe

Yes you can. It is easy off of a flash drive or SD card. I used this one.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:21 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by fworner
Yes you can. It is easy off of a flash drive or SD card. I used this one.
So, this wouldn't work on an OEM head unit?
Old 02-25-2019, 03:31 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

I am hoping to order a new head unit in the near future, once I get my Camaro's Corsa Xtreme exhaust sold. I am curious about a couple things with these units.

I currently have the OEM NAV Unit w/ Bose in my 2012 GS. I see that steering wheel controls will work with the PAC RP5-GM11, does that include the phone buttons as well? Will the USB in the console still work, or would a cable need to be run there and replace that connection? Also, can the stock microphone be used or will an additional one need to be run like mentioned earlier?

I would like to get a unit that has a physical volume ****, though guess with the steering wheel control it isn't a show stopper as almost every unit is using buttons or the screen itself.

The Pioneer AVIC-7201NEX Package looks like a good option, though think I would like a Capacitive touch screen, though not sure how much I would need built in NAV or CD/DVD with Apple CarPlay. Do most people use the built-in NAV or do they use their phone's? I like using WAZE for all of the traffic and "other" warnings it has. With the backup camera, I am guessing most mount it above the license plate?

I am not sure if I will worry about XM as I usually listen to music or books on the phone.

Thinking about the Kenwood DMX905s or the Sony AX5000. Probably leaning to the Kenwood since it can support a second camera

Will need the Unit, the PAC with Dash Kit, and a camera or two. Is the ReadyHarness worth it? I don't have a problem doing the wires, but $20 bucks or so would save a bit of time. Have to figure out which camera(s) to get. So many to choose from.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:08 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by SPSandman
I currently have the OEM NAV Unit w/ Bose in my 2012 GS. I see that steering wheel controls will work with the PAC RP5-GM11, does that include the phone buttons as well? Will the USB in the console still work, or would a cable need to be run there and replace that connection? Also, can the stock microphone be used or will an additional one need to be run like mentioned earlier?

The Pioneer AVIC-7201NEX Package looks like a good option, though think I would like a Capacitive touch screen, though not sure how much I would need built in NAV or CD/DVD with Apple CarPlay. Do most people use the built-in NAV or do they use their phone's? I like using WAZE for all of the traffic and "other" warnings it has. With the backup camera, I am guessing most mount it above the license plate?

I am not sure if I will worry about XM as I usually listen to music or books on the phone.

Thinking about the Kenwood DMX905s or the Sony AX5000. Probably leaning to the Kenwood since it can support a second camera

Will need the Unit, the PAC with Dash Kit, and a camera or two. Is the ReadyHarness worth it? I don't have a problem doing the wires, but $20 bucks or so would save a bit of time. Have to figure out which camera(s) to get. So many to choose from.
Lots of questions. I will try and answer a few of them for you.

1 - The steering wheel controls and phone buttons should work with the RP5-GM11. But some people do report being unsuccessful in getting the phone buttons programmed properly. Another option is the RP4-GM11 which for some reason seems to have a much higher success rate with the phone buttons. They both work with the C6 except no onStar retention with the RP4.
2 - You have to run a new USB wire.
3 - You can re-use the stock mic by splicing into the wire, but running a new one is not difficult and pretty much goes unnoticed.
4 - As far as head units, skip the Pioneer 7201. You can get the 8200, which is the same as the 7201 except with capacitive screen and minus the included camera, for $570 on Amazon. I do recommend the Kenwood's for there improved sound quality over Pioneer. Capacitive screen is a big plus, so I don't like the Sony's because of the resistive touch screens.
5 - Wiring is pretty simple, mostly matching same colored wires. With the RP4 it uses the RCA cables for sound, so that saves you having to connect the 8 speaker wires. Make sure to use crimp style connectors or solder the wires. Not twisty type made for home electrical.
6 - As far as cameras, just pick the style you want. The cheap ones seem to work just as good as the expensive ones. I have a cheap Pyle camera from Amazon, works great with no issues.
7 - IMO, skip the Xm. I use the app from my phone when I want XM. The XM reception was always an issue in the Corvette for me, but the app through CarPlay works great.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 02-25-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:32 AM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred

1 - The steering wheel controls and phone buttons should work with the RP5-GM11. But some people do report being unsuccessful in getting the phone buttons programmed properly. Another option is the RP4-GM11 which for some reason seems to have a much higher success rate with the phone buttons. They both work with the C6 except no onStar retention with the RP4.
3 - You can re-use the stock mic by splicing into the wire, but running a new one is not difficult and pretty much goes unnoticed.
4 - As far as head units, skip the Pioneer 7201. You can get the 8200, which is the same as the 7201 except with capacitive screen and minus the included camera, for $570 on Amazon. I do recommend the Kenwood's for there improved sound quality over Pioneer. Capacitive screen is a big plus, so I don't like the Sony's because of the resistive touch screens.
5 - Wiring is pretty simple, mostly matching same colored wires. With the RP4 it uses the RCA cables for sound, so that saves you having to connect the 8 speaker wires. Make sure to use crimp style connectors or solder the wires. Not twisty type made for home electrical.
6 - As far as cameras, just pick the style you want. The cheap ones seem to work just as good as the expensive ones. I have a cheap Pyle camera from Amazon, works great with no issues.
7 - IMO, skip the Xm. I use the app from my phone when I want XM. The XM reception was always an issue in the Corvette for me, but the app through CarPlay works great.
Great answer from Fred. Adding my 2 cents fwiw

1 - If I recall correctly I think a long press of the steering wheel phone button will still activate the built in system. Other than remembering not to do that, the phone controls seem to work well.

3 - I also installed the mic that came with the stereo next to the stock mic. Looks fine to me and easier.

4 - I have the 8201, which sounds very nice when paired with a stealth box sub. I never heard the Kenwood so it would be nice to compare sometime. I would have been ok with either, but the Pioneer is just what happened to work out for me at the time.

7 - I agree on the XM. The sounds quality just isn't there. I stream from my phone all the time. I never use the radio or CD player. Radio now seems to be commercials most of the time.

Last edited by CrystalRedTed; 02-26-2019 at 01:34 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:37 AM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTed
Great answer from Fred. Adding my 2 cents fwiw
1 - If I recall correctly I think a long press of the steering wheel phone button will still activate the built in system. Other than remembering not to do that, the phone controls seem to work well.
3 - I also installed the mic that came with the stereo next to the stock mic. Looks fine to me and easier.
4 - I have the 8201, which sounds very nice when paired with a stealth box sub. I never heard the Kenwood so it would be nice to compare sometime. I would have been ok with either, but the Pioneer is just what happened to work out for me at the time.
7 - I agree on the XM. The sounds quality just isn't there. I stream from my phone all the time. I never use the radio or CD player. Radio now seems to be commercials most of the time.
Awesome thanks to both Reds! Really appreciate it. Looks like I have a buyer lining up for my Corsa Xtreme exhaust so radio may be in the near future. May have enough left to get a cheap radio for my son's 2005 GMC Canyon we just got him. Can't believe he is 16. Man time flies.

Couple follow on questions. RedFred you said I could splice the factory Mic into the system, would it function fine like that or are newer mics better? I would much rather keep the existing mic just for aesthetics. Wonder if the aftermarket mic could fit inside the stock mic housing.

Figured as much with the USB. I am guessing since the center console will be removed it would be easy enough to put the USB connection in the same spot, along with another maybe in the useless ashtray.

The two radios I linked from Kenwood and Sony are both Capacitive screens.

Good info about ditching the XM. I have a subscription on the wife's car so could add streaming and just use that in the Vette, though like I said I rarely listen to XM anyway. I am usually using my iTunes/Pandora for music or just Audible books.

I think I am leaning towards the Kenwood DMX905S as I don't need a DVD/CD system and it can support 2 cameras as well. Would be nice to have the option for a front camera. None of these can play movies while moving right? That could be useful for when the wife is with me, but she has an iPAD she can use anyway.

CrystalRedTed you mentioned the phone button being held will trigger the in car system Which interface did you go with, the RP4 or RP5? I imagine that would be the case for either system or interface.

Not planning on an additional amp but will probably run the wires while I am in there. With an aftermarket Amp, the Bose system needs to be bypassed, right? System is plenty loud for me now and sounds just fine, so not even sure if I would go that route, but nice to have the option without having to get back into the radio.

Anyway, thanks for the information. Very much appreciated!
Old 02-26-2019, 07:58 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

CrystalRedTed you mentioned the phone button being held will trigger the in car system Which interface did you go with, the RP4 or RP5? I imagine that would be the case for either system or interface.

Not planning on an additional amp but will probably run the wires while I am in there. With an aftermarket Amp, the Bose system needs to be bypassed, right? System is plenty loud for me now and sounds just fine, so not even sure if I would go that route, but nice to have the option without having to get back into the radio.
I have the RP5 interface. The activation of the built in system for the phone would be the same either way. I currently have OnStar, which is why I have the RP5.

I believe you are correct that the Bose amp needs to get bypassed when you put in and aftermarket amp The speakers get driven by the new amp. Not sure what this means for the wiring. Fred probably knows. For me just adding the sub did the trick. I'd recommend that you start with the HU and see how you like it first. It does make sense to run some wiring so you don't have to tear into the dash again if you want to add the sub later. Not sure if you can do that for the external amp too, but I don't see why not.

Last edited by CrystalRedTed; 02-26-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:34 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CrystalRedTed
I have the RP5 interface. The activation of the built in system for the phone would be the same either way. I currently have OnStar, which is why I have the RP5.

I believe you are correct that the Bose amp needs to get bypassed when you put in and aftermarket amp The speakers get driven by the new amp. Not sure what this means for the wiring. Fred probably knows. For me just adding the sub did the trick. I'd recommend that you start with the HU and see how you like it first. It does make sense to run some wiring so you don't have to tear into the dash again if you want to add the sub later. Not sure if you can do that for the external amp too, but I don't see why not.
Gotcha, how did you hookup the Sub? I might not be against a bit more bass, as everyone is all about that bass. Nothing like I had in my youth, lol. But wouldn't mind a bit more "kick". So you are using the Bose system with the head unit and a sub? What is pushing the sub? Been soooo long since I have done any after market car audio.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:51 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

HUD not important to you guys?

Get notified of new replies

To New head unit?

Old 02-26-2019, 08:52 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Gotcha, how did you hookup the Sub? I might not be against a bit more bass, as everyone is all about that bass. Nothing like I had in my youth, lol. But wouldn't mind a bit more "kick". So you are using the Bose system with the head unit and a sub? What is pushing the sub? Been soooo long since I have done any after market car audio.
Right, new head unit that drives the existing Bose system. The HU has a separate output for the sub that runs to the back of the car. I have a JL Audio Stealthbox that inserts into the driver side rear cubby and it is driven by a JL Audio JX250 amplifier that is small enough to live in the passenger side rear cubby. There are cheaper options but I didn't want to give up a lot of luggage space. It's not just about getting a bunch of bass but getting clean bass and taking load off the rest of the speakers.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:58 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Originally Posted by saplumr
HUD not important to you guys?
I assume you mean lack of navigation and radio info displayed on the HUD? The HUD works fine, but doesn't display information from the head unit with an aftermarket system. Not important to me at all. My car didn't have factory Nav and I don't even remember relying on the HUD for any radio station info anyway. Happy to give it up for the nice display and additional function of the aftermarket system.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:24 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Couple follow on questions. RedFred you said I could splice the factory Mic into the system, would it function fine like that or are newer mics better? I would much rather keep the existing mic just for aesthetics. Wonder if the aftermarket mic could fit inside the stock mic housing.

The two radios I linked from Kenwood and Sony are both Capacitive screens.

I think I am leaning towards the Kenwood DMX905S as I don't need a DVD/CD system and it can support 2 cameras as well. Would be nice to have the option for a front camera. None of these can play movies while moving right? That could be useful for when the wife is with me, but she has an iPAD she can use anyway.

- I ran the aftermarket mic up the pillar and right next to the factory mic. Pretty much goes unnoticed, but other forum members have stated they re-used the factory mic with no issues.

- I don't think the Sony is a capacitive screen. I did a quick search and it doesn't seem to mention if the screen is capacitive which leads me to believe that it is a resistive touch screen, which has a couple of layers of thin plastic vs glass on a capacitive screen.

- If you have a cd/dvd slot, you can watch movies while moving if you use a parking brake by-pass or ground the parking brake wire (depending on model)

- The steering wheel controls and phone buttons should work after reprogramming them, but some report difficulties in getting them programmed correctly. Some that reported issues with the phone "end" and "answer" buttons working for the phone have claimed that switching to the RP4 fixed the issue. The phone "end" and "answer" buttons come preprogrammed from PAC as mute and source but you have to customize/reprogram them to get them to work as end/answer.

- You can run an additional amp for a subwoofer if you choose and still keep the Bose amp and speakers. Not sure if that's what you meant.

Quick Reply: New head unit?