C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at getting a C6

Old 08-18-2018, 12:39 AM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Awesome information! Thanks! So, I am also a technology guy so any additional tech stuff it would be a plus. I have seen some of the NAV systems that are DVD based. Which years did this change, and can you still get DVD map updates? I would think they are cheaper to come by. Will have to look at the NAV options. I would be fine using my phone, but if I could get it in the dash that would be a plus.

Getting stoked about the new vehicles we are getting. She wants a new Jeep Wrangler (down sizing from a Traverse) and I am going to be getting back to my love, a Corvette!

SO much easier looking for vehicles nowadays... I Love It!
Old 08-18-2018, 01:00 AM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts

The navigation system in the C6 is dvd based and the same Denso unit was used in all C6 model years 2005-2013. The last dvd map update was version 10. I believe it was released in 2015 or 2016. You can buy a new version 10 on eBay for as little as $12.99.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:34 AM
DezVette
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

While you can get an updated map on DVD for the stock system, most people like myself choose to replace the system. I swapped out the entire system for a Kenwood DDX9904S head unit, component speakers, 1000W Fosgate amp and 10" sub in the rear. Even with a new map, the stock head unit may be a little limiting on pairing with you phone via Bluetooth. This is one of the main reasons I swapped it out. I always use my phone navigation and it would not pair with the stock unit.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:06 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DezVette
While you can get an updated map on DVD for the stock system, most people like myself choose to replace the system. I swapped out the entire system for a Kenwood DDX9904S head unit, component speakers, 1000W Fosgate amp and 10" sub in the rear. Even with a new map, the stock head unit may be a little limiting on pairing with you phone via Bluetooth. This is one of the main reasons I swapped it out. I always use my phone navigation and it would not pair with the stock unit.
Great information as well. What phone do you have? We all have iPhones and I haven't had issue pairing it in the past. I will keep an eye on replacing the system. Although, I would want to focus on the exterior and performance upgrades at first. Looked at that unit, looks very nice. How is the install? Need a shop to do it, or is it doable with someone that has pretty decent with mechanical and electrical installs?

One thing that bugs me is how much dealerships charge for the upgrade in our cars. Way overpriced, when a phone unit gets updates for free and even Garmin offers lifetime updates for a reasonable price.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:43 PM
DezVette
Pro

I have an iPhone 6s that would not pair with the stock unit. I've done several stereo installs in the past, but this one I took to a shop to have done. I swapped out the system in the first 'Vette when I did the HUD and already had the dash taken all apart. But, I did not feel like messing with it this time. You can get a wiring harness for the head unit that is pretty much plug-n-play into the stock setup. This will allow you to also retain the steering wheel controls for the stereo. But, since I also replaced the amp and speakers, I just had a shop do it all. I also had them install XM and two cameras.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:05 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

How is the automatic in the Grand Sports or even the previous 2008-09? I am looking for a 6 speed manual; however, if it comes down to finding the exact look I want and it is only in an Automatic I will probably think about it. Still have a few months to go before I am ready, but starting to keep my eyes out. Have to take a few mods off the car now so I am ready.

I have the Auto in my 2SS, which is all I could find in the adrenaline package at the time. With it in sport mode and using the paddles is still fun for some spirited driving through hills and turns.

Also, how is the throttle response with these Vettes? I know the Camaro does lag a bit and it is frustrating at times and some people buy addons to help with that, but I haven't. Hoping the Vette wouldn't have the same issues.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:35 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

The throttle on the vette is soft for the first 1/3, but get into it, and all will be behind you in a heart beat. I would not recommend the throttle modules, some have had issues with them.

Last edited by extrapilot; 08-21-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:35 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Be careful when looking for a nice Grand Sport-- I was not careful and ended up buying two of them - Black one and a Torch Red one. Terrible addiction once you start looking.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:23 AM
DezVette
Pro

When you are ready to pull the trigger and get into the stereo install, here is a thread with step-by-step instructions on the C6 stereo install process. The thread starter is no longer a forum vendor, but the information is still good. Also, Crutchfield had harnesses and instructions that are tailored for the C6.

Last edited by DezVette; 08-22-2018 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:49 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

What about looking at a 2006 - 2007 Z06, would that be a good option instead of a 2008-2009 Z51 or 2010-2013 Grand Sport? This will be a DD, so I am guessing the latter two would be the better options in that regard. Just looking through all the C6 models that fall in that 25k-32k range. Is the LS7 a reliable engine for a daily driver? Would love to have the larger engine and the extra performance.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:08 PM
DezVette
Pro

The C6 Z06 would definitely be a power upgrade. But, that comes with a cost. There is a known and well documented issue with the valve guides in the LS7 engine. It requires them to be repaired at a couple grand price tag, or risk the possibility of blowing the engine at about a $15k replacement cost. If you are looking at a Z06 in the same price range as a newer C6 or GS, it is unlikely that the heads have already been addressed by the previous owner. So, figure a couple grand to get that taken care or as soon as possible. Since you said that you like to turn wrenches you may be interested in doing the service yourself and saving some cash. Here is a thread talking about the issue and a vendor who may be able to help with the DIY parts needed.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:31 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

The C6 Z06 would definitely be a power upgrade. But, that comes with a cost. There is a known and well documented issue with the valve guides in the LS7 engine. It requires them to be repaired at a couple grand price tag, or risk the possibility of blowing the engine at about a $15k replacement cost. If you are looking at a Z06 in the same price range as a newer C6 or GS, it is unlikely that the heads have already been addressed by the previous owner. So, figure a couple grand to get that taken care or as soon as possible. Since you said that you like to turn wrenches you may be interested in doing the service yourself and saving some cash. Here is a thread talking about the issue and a vendor who may be able to help with the DIY parts needed.
Thanks for the information. Was kind of surprised about the issue with all LS7s. You would think it would have been addressed at some point during the run. Looking at the prices for the Z06 and possibly/more than likely having to drop a couple more K into it, Maybe I should just look at a 2014 C7 2LT or so. Would be nice to have some of the niceties they added tech wise in the C7 along with the LT-1. Has there been any issues with the LT-1 that I should be aware of? I have a good 8 months for my lease to be up, so have time to shop and look. I love the lines of the C6, but the C7 has definitely grown on me.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:06 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Just found out the Z06 didn't include a Targa Top option so will probably not go that way. I used to love taking off the top in my C4 and cruise the mountains or back roads. So guess I will stick with a 2008-09 Z51 if I am lucky or a 2010-13 Grand Sport. Or maybe a 2014 2LT if it falls down into my ballpark area by the Spring time.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:21 PM
DezVette
Pro

Yeah, both the Z06 and ZR1 models are only available as fixed roof vehicles. The 2013 427 is a full convertible option. But targa tops are only on the standard and GS models.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:00 AM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Now that I am looking at maybe a Z06, I am getting close to getting a 2014 C7 2LT that will have the newer things I would like camera, backup sensors, much better interior.
I know this is the first year model of the C7, did they have any issues that I would need to keep in mind? I always liked waiting for a second or third year of a new model.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:06 AM
DezVette
Pro

I have never done much research into the issues the C7 may have. You might find more info and help in the C7 general forum.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:28 AM
GS982
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 200 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SPSandman
Thanks for the information. Was kind of surprised about the issue with all LS7s. You would think it would have been addressed at some point during the run. Looking at the prices for the Z06 and possibly/more than likely having to drop a couple more K into it, Maybe I should just look at a 2014 C7 2LT or so. Would be nice to have some of the niceties they added tech wise in the C7 along with the LT-1. Has there been any issues with the LT-1 that I should be aware of? I have a good 8 months for my lease to be up, so have time to shop and look. I love the lines of the C6, but the C7 has definitely grown on me.
Sorry for being vague, but the little I know about the LT1 is it seems they may not be quite as robust as the LS3. I agree with the suggestion of fishing around the C7 forum for other's experiences. I seem to remember a few of the '14s having oil consumption problems, so I would definitely pull a VIS report to see is there were any warranty issues with the car. Also, there is a thread in the C7 forum about trans failures with the A8. Seems there are a lot of problems with both the torque converter and trans. If you don't mind rowing your own gears, then you should be good to go.

IMO, I would rather have a 12-13 GS over a stingray. To me they just seem more special. For the same money, you should be able to get a lower mile, nicer GS too! Good Luck!
Old 08-31-2018, 12:13 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GS982
Sorry for being vague, but the little I know about the LT1 is it seems they may not be quite as robust as the LS3. I agree with the suggestion of fishing around the C7 forum for other's experiences. I seem to remember a few of the '14s having oil consumption problems, so I would definitely pull a VIS report to see is there were any warranty issues with the car. Also, there is a thread in the C7 forum about trans failures with the A8. Seems there are a lot of problems with both the torque converter and trans. If you don't mind rowing your own gears, then you should be good to go.

IMO, I would rather have a 12-13 GS over a stingray. To me they just seem more special. For the same money, you should be able to get a lower mile, nicer GS too! Good Luck!
Yeah I am thinking along the same lines. The LS3 is such a well supported platform and don't have to worry about any AFM. I couldn't stand it on my 2SS so it was tuned out immediately. I am going to hunt for a Grand Sport Manual. Though a ton seem to be automatic. But I have about 8 months to get-r-done. So probably look for a non-NAV Grand Sport, if they come without NAV and then replace the unit and add a camera.

Looked at the thread link given earlier in this thread and it looks like a great upgrade.

This is going to be painful as I am not a patient person when it comes to cars and guitars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking at getting a C6