C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran out of gas with 1/4 tank ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 02:22 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harry
Back in the old days (like 30 years ago) this was a recommendation when using fuel system cleaners because it was believed they diluted the oil. I recall this being an "official" recommendation on my wife's 1985 Audi 5000. Don't know if there was any truth to it then, but there certainly doesn't seem to be any now.
YEP...... I figured that the post was meaning something along those lines. I'm assuming that the poster may think that the Techron will slip right down past them there rings.....LOL. To that I say bolderdash !!!!!!.......
Old 08-29-2018, 06:20 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harry
Back in the old days (like 30 years ago) this was a recommendation when using fuel system cleaners because it was believed they diluted the oil. I recall this being an "official" recommendation on my wife's 1985 Audi 5000. Don't know if there was any truth to it then, but there certainly doesn't seem to be any now.
Originally Posted by windyC6
YEP...... I figured that the post was meaning something along those lines. I'm assuming that the poster may think that the Techron will slip right down past them there rings.....LOL. To that I say bolderdash !!!!!!.......
Chevron themselves warn that Techron should not be used more than twice per oil change.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:50 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
Chevron themselves warn that Techron should not be used more than twice per oil change.
That would be hard to do if you use their gas since it's in every fill up. I just checked their product data sheet and it says "Safe to use every 1,000 miles or as needed to keep
fuel injectors clean."
Old 08-30-2018, 04:10 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

LOL....So does this mean that you should only buy their gas twice between oil changes ??......
Old 08-30-2018, 04:13 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
That would be hard to do if you use their gas since it's in every fill up. I just checked their product data sheet and it says "Safe to use every 1,000 miles or as needed to keep
fuel injectors clean."
"Techron" is just a brand name that Chevron uses on many different products. Hope2 is not talking about their gasoline additive package (obviously) or their silver bottle fuel injector cleaner. He referred specifically to their "original full strength black bottle" product, a.k.a. Techron Concentrate Plus Complete Fuel System Cleaner.

Chevron has this to say about that product (emphasis mine):
Techron® Concentrate Plus, Complete Fuel System Cleaner, is designed for gasoline carbureted or fuel injected spark ignition engines. To keep the entire fuel system clean, use Techron Concentrate Plus, Complete Fuel System Cleaner, every 3,000 miles (4,800 km) or at scheduled oil change intervals, not to exceed twice per oil change.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:16 AM
HammerheadTed
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I am the OP. My ‘05Vert has about 210K miles on it and runs absolutely like a new car. I am approaching oil change interval and checked it and it is full. This is the first issue I’ve had pertaining to the car running. Occasionally the gas gauge would go to empty all of a sudden and the DIC would say service fuel system. This is fairly common by the threads I’ve read on this forums and the recommendation in many of these posts is to add Techron. Thinking being it cleans the fuel level sender/wiper. I have never had it happen since I started using Techron, so there seems to be some basis for using it in my experience. Maybe I should cut down the interval. I wasn’t aware of the Techron recommendation.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:55 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

"Techron" is just a brand name that Chevron uses on many different products. Hope2 is not talking about their gasoline additive package (obviously) or their silver bottle fuel injector cleaner. He referred specifically to their "original full strength black bottle" product, a.k.a. Techron Concentrate Plus Complete Fuel System Cleaner.

Chevron has this to say about that product (emphasis mine):
So is it the Techron only that winds up in the oil ? Wonder how it separates itself from the fuel? And if it doesn't separate itself from the fuel then that means that the fuel is winding up in the oil all the time with or without Techron.......HUM.....interesting....... ..
Old 08-31-2018, 10:14 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 583 Posts

There is always a little oil dilution from the fuel due to blowby. Usually it's minuscule and since the fuel is mostly rather volatile compounds it boils off. I'm sure some of the detergents in Techron are heavier and may stay in the oil but what harm they could do I don't know. Chevron should update their recommendations now that the average oil change interval is closer to 15,000 miles.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:02 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerheadTed
...Occasionally the gas gauge would go to empty all of a sudden and the DIC would say service fuel system. This is fairly common by the threads I’ve read on this forums and the recommendation in many of these posts is to add Techron. ...
Or do as GM recommends in your owner's manual and always use a Top Tier fuel. The Top Tier standard demands fuels contain all the detergent needed to keep everything clean. That's why US auto manufacturers created it and recommend it. No other additives are needed and can do more harm than good. Just pay the extra few cents per gallon at most and don't use the cheapest crap you can find.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:34 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

So do "Top Tier" fuels have Techron in them ??
Old 09-01-2018, 11:14 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
So do "Top Tier" fuels have Techron in them ??
Chevron stations use the cleaner in the fuel they call techron, while other stations use cleaners in the fuel that they call by a different name isntead.

So the point made, is top Tier fuels have cleaners in them to keep the fuel system clean, and do just as well as the chevron stations that they call their cleaning agent in the fuel Techron instead.

On the other hand, if you are buying black market Pemex fuel that someone drilled a hole in there pipe line to steal fuel that way, bank that it's no where even close to top tier fuel in the first place.

Hence this is Pemex fuel from a brand new gas station in Merida ,so forget all about if it has cleaners in it in the first place, but water and other crap in the fuel to begin with isntead.

Here is the link to find top tier fuel stations in your area.
https://www.toptiergas.com/

Last edited by Dano523; 09-01-2018 at 11:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Ran out of gas with 1/4 tank ???