C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just another old guy rant

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 07:55 AM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 231 Posts

I've tried to get my 22 year old son interested in basic car maintenance/simple repairs but no luck. So next year when "his" car loan is paid off and I sign it over to him he gets to register/insure it. Wonder how long it will be before he starts complaining he has to keep spending $$$ to get it fixed ?
Old 08-30-2018, 01:18 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

I have very fond memory turning wrenches with my dad on his old Chevelle and then my first car, 1975 Camaro. I do all the basic maintenance for all of our cars (Oil, fluids, Lube, Brakes, Exhaust, Intakes etc) I may end up doing the heads if I get a Z06.
I have shown my son and will show my daughter the basics on checking fluids and changing oil and if he gets interested in it more we will turn more wrenches. He just got his learners so he is getting more and more interested in cars and even talked about getting a classic. Although, I like the safety additions newer cars brought, especially with a new driver.

Originally Posted by ByRiver
My backup option to escape from inside is to pop the top and climb out. Assuming it isn't a Z06 or ZR1.
So do the C6 Z06es not have the Targa Top? They are a solid top? I was thinking of going that route with my upcoming C6 purchase, but I loved having my targa top on on my 94 C4. That would put me back at looking at Z51 or Grand Sports.

Yeah they don't have targa tops. Glad I found that out. Thanks!

Last edited by SPSandman; 08-30-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:28 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Garry in AZ
I've been a member of this forum for a while now, and it always amazes me to read posts where someone has been stranded or couldn't drive their car due to issues related to simple regular maintenance...
I'm here a lot, more than I should be, and have only noticed occasional dead batteries leaving C6s inoperable. Where are all these other problems I'm apparently missing?
Old 08-30-2018, 01:35 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by SPSandman
I have very fond memory turning wrenches with my dad on his old Chevelle and then my first car, 1975 Camaro. I do all the basic maintenance for all of our cars (Oil, fluids, Lube, Brakes, Exhaust, Intakes etc) I may end up doing the heads if I get a Z06.
I have shown my son and will show my daughter the basics on checking fluids and changing oil and if he gets interested in it more we will turn more wrenches. He just got his learners so he is getting more and more interested in cars and even talked about getting a classic. Although, I like the safety additions newer cars brought, especially with a new driver.

So do the C6 Z06es not have the Targa Top? They are a solid top? I was thinking of going that route with my upcoming C6 purchase, but I loved having my targa top on on my 94 C4. That would put me back at looking at Z51 or Grand Sports.

Yeah they don't have targa tops. Glad I found that out. Thanks!
do I dare mention that a 'Z51" is not a model, but an option.
this issue is currently going on in a different thread.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:57 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,774 Likes on 4,221 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

When my son recently turned 16 his mother bought a car for him to "use". She, never being the one to understand how anything on a car works, didn't consult me on the purchase and purchased it in an effort to make herself look better than his dad (I believe in working hard for things you have and paying for them yourself as I did when I was 16). This vehicle (2002 Honda CRV with 197,000 miles) didn't appear to be too well-cared for. Original battery with corroded terminals, original tires (date code 3/02) down to the wear bars, power windows & locks not working, etc. all of which she thinks are fine & not worthy of replacing In an effort that he doesn't become stranded, the first thing I instructed him to do was to read the owner's manual front to back. I then started taking him through the what & how of things to check on a regular basis as the OP suggested. My sons & daughters (16, 15, 10, & 9) always help me when working on or even washing the cars. I take those opportunities to teach them about what we are doing, why, how, etc.

I am by no means an expert in anything mechanical, but I do perform most of my own service, do every modification on the vehicles I have equipment to do correctly & constantly learn about the vehicles I have. This weekend my kids & I will be installing longtube headers & new Corsa exhaust on the Grand Sport

The sad part is - to the OP's point, that in today's world the information is so easily obtained (youtube, forums, etc.) that to be in a situation where you can't get out of your Corvette for example is completely unnecessary.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:17 PM
Bat66
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
What cracks me up is how many vette owners don't even know how to get in when the door won't open.
That is so true, get in or out!!!!!

Last edited by Bat66; 08-30-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:11 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

I remember when you had to turn a crank to start your car. No I didn't!! Way way before my time. I do remember hand crank windows though. And door locks with the stem, which made it easy to open with a coat hanger when you locked your keys inside.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:50 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I'm probably older than most on this forum and have been doing most of the work on the 60 cars I've owned, along with helping others with their's. I deal with maintenance in the manner that the car requires, based on observing/listening/feeling what the car is telling me. My Vette tells me far more by simply pushing buttons than any other I've owned, so I don't have to do tire pressure checks or coolant level checks on a defined schedule. IIRC, I've only been "stranded" 4 times in 154K miles and the wife's car never in 109K miles. None of the 4 times could have been prevented by prior maintenance checks. It doesn't mean I don't take care of my cars, but I don't overly obsess or have unfounded fears about their condition.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:58 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by ByRiver
I remember when you had to turn a crank to start your car. No I didn't!! Way way before my time. I do remember hand crank windows though. And door locks with the stem, which made it easy to open with a coat hanger when you locked your keys inside.
We had a Ford 9N tractor that had a hand crank for 50 years, sold it just 4 years ago. It did have a 6V starter but you couldn't count on it. The owners manual was dated 1938 but I think it was a 1940 as there were small running changes. Being a rather small low compression side valve engine it wasn't too hard to crank as long as it wasn't too cold.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:30 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by door2416
Let me add one more. The water level in the battery. I only say this because most don't check this at all.
Yep, and can't understand why their batteries die in three or four years - even on a battery tender!
Old 09-01-2018, 02:11 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by hope2
My ex wife refused to pump her own gas.
My ex would tell me she'd taken my SUV in for an oil change, and then spend the money on her nails instead. This went on for 10's of thousands of miles on that vehicle, until one day I started to pull out of the driveway and the engine died. When I started looking into what the problem might be I discovered a black sludge where the oil was supposed to be. I left the SUV, still broken down, sitting in the driveway the day I made the wife my ex. Why not? The loan was in her name....
Old 09-05-2018, 11:49 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 583 Posts

Let me add one more. The water level in the battery. I only say this because most don't check this at all.
Buy a quality AGM battery and never have to check the water level again. I've got AGM cells in my solar power system that are over 10 years old and working as well as the day I bought them. No water lost or added (you can't even if you wanted to).
Old 09-05-2018, 02:21 PM
Shikaitsu
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

That's more than likely because most batteries on the market in the last 5 years are non serviceable and have specific instructions and markings to not open them. lol.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:21 PM
Chevyrelic
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Receipts...

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
My ex would tell me she'd taken my SUV in for an oil change, and then spend the money on her nails instead. This went on for 10's of thousands of miles on that vehicle, until one day I started to pull out of the driveway and the engine died. When I started looking into what the problem might be I discovered a black sludge where the oil was supposed to be. I left the SUV, still broken down, sitting in the driveway the day I made the wife my ex. Why not? The loan was in her name....
I keep every receipt for service work and parts for my cars...so that wouldn’t happen to me...and after seeing how well your Vette looks Ed, I’m surprised that it happened to you. Great looking car!
Old 09-05-2018, 04:57 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

I may have missed it in an earlier post.....but i'm not sure general maintenance was ever intended to be checking the auto cable and/or the harmonic balancer (amoungest other things) which seems to be a couple of the most talked about problems.....
Old 09-05-2018, 11:23 PM
chevyave
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

My biggest pet peeve are the knot-heads that love to rail about poor service at either their local dealer or repair shop when it is obvious they have never personally turned a wrench. If it is so easy why don't you do it yourself?? Another old man rant over...
Old 09-06-2018, 09:40 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyave
My biggest pet peeve are the knot-heads that love to rail about poor service at either their local dealer or repair shop when it is obvious they have never personally turned a wrench. If it is so easy why don't you do it yourself?? Another old man rant over...
Your point is well taken in some respect....but the problem is that these dealers are getting paid a very pretty penny to do the job right.....

Get notified of new replies

To Just another old guy rant

Old 09-06-2018, 10:18 AM
Euthymicone
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting post. Back in the day (farther back than I care to really think of) my dad would buy old "junkers" to drive to work. We'd take it in the garage, pull the head and pan, pistons, etc. After that you could look through the engine and see the floor --- we put in new rings, Babbitt bearings (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babbitt_(alloy) and after a few tweaks and fluids crank her up and go (hopefully, but not always). What a wonderful learning process. Of course, in rural Nebraska this was a part of life as money was scarce. I've tried to impart this to our sons and so far they continue to do much of their own work. I can't image getting into a vehicle of any sort and not knowing basically how it works------ I still do much of my own work and have my trusty Y-car service manual in my study for reference. For me, this is as much a part of owning a Corvette as taking a spirited run through the Smokies. Another great resource is this forum. I look forward to learning much more.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:06 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by chevyave
x2 on top of that expect people to cater to them like they dropped off a Rolls.
Seems everyones used to an electronic device telling them what to do, seen many even lose thier sense of direction with GPS, waiting for a screen to say check oil, etc.
Couldnt afford a break down in the days of carbs, no OD and payphones.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:42 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

I've had 2 camaros now last me a long time already, one hit 19 years and 400k miles before I retired it and the other just hit 21 years 240K miles on it last week. My 2nd C6 is now 13 years old and still in excellent condition and on its 3rd set of tires. If you maintain it well, it will last you. I like doing all the maintenance myself, but as I get older noticing that my propensity to lie on my back wrenching and spilling toxic chemicals on me is waning...

Quick Reply: Just another old guy rant