C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just another old guy rant

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 01:01 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Garry in AZ
Wayback, I wasn't referring specifically to the Corvette with my lists....
Well...actually...you were. And I quote: "On my C6, I do this when I wash the car"
Old 09-06-2018, 01:36 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by SladeX
I've had 2 camaros now last me a long time already, one hit 19 years and 400k miles before I retired it and the other just hit 21 years 240K miles on it last week. My 2nd C6 is now 13 years old and still in excellent condition and on its 3rd set of tires. If you maintain it well, it will last you. I like doing all the maintenance myself, but as I get older noticing that my propensity to lie on my back wrenching and spilling toxic chemicals on me is waning...
I spent a lifetime putting together the tools I needed while working on my own cars. I didn't have the money to buy an air compressor and a high torque 1/2" drive impact wench when I was 16, and I was under my car trying to break loose large bolts with a cheater bar. I've pulled motors and rebuilt them, and replaced transmissions and clutches in my early 40's. My goal was to earn enough money where I didn't have to buy used vehicles anymore, but new ones under warranty. Now in my 50's, I still do my own brakes and fiddle with electrical stuff. While I have the tools to do it, I'm not going to spend my weekends replacing water pumps, alternators, or replacing a clutch, especially not on a Corvette. I can afford to pay someone do that work. and who can do it far quicker than I can. I put in my time and paid my dues. I have plenty of other cars to drive while it is getting repaired. And if I'm paying a high shop rate, I want it done right.

I have a hobby car to mess with when I have some free time to spare. But I will farm out the large tasks. That's resource management.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Well...actually...you were. And I quote: "On my C6, I do this when I wash the car"
My Corvette has a manual transmission, so actually, I wasn't. LOL!
After re-reading my original post, I can understand how it sounded like I was saying that the list was the things I do when I wash the car.... what I meant was, that's how often I do maintenance checks, on all my vehicles, regardless of type...car truck or motorcycle. The list was just to give people an idea of what I think should be regularly looked at. I still check my oil weekly... I wonder how many people do that.

Last edited by Garry in AZ; 09-06-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:45 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 899 Likes on 585 Posts

I do not check my oil weekly. Once I'm confident that a vehicle is not an oil burner, as long as I don't see spots where I park it I check it less than once a month or before any long trip. Can't remember the last time I had to add a quart of oil between changes, it's been more than a decade, maybe two.

Now I do check tire pressure nearly every time I drive. It's easy with TPMS and it changes significantly with the weather. With cooler weather upon us I added 2 psi to all the Vette's tires.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:54 PM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
I do not check my oil weekly. Once I'm confident that a vehicle is not an oil burner, as long as I don't see spots where I park it I check it less than once a month or before any long trip. Can't remember the last time I had to add a quart of oil between changes, it's been more than a decade, maybe two.
Now I do check tire pressure nearly every time I drive. It's easy with TPMS and it changes significantly with the weather. With cooler weather upon us I added 2 psi to all the Vette's tires.

Good for you on the tire pressures. Very important, and you never know when you may pick up a nail or something.
Like you, I very seldom if ever have to add oil between changes. But it gives me a chance to see other things while I'm in there. For example, last weekend I noticed a very fine mist of moisture on the high pressure power steering hose on my pickup. Not enough to drip on the floor, but it's starting... Now I know I need to change out that hose, or at least find the source of the moisture. Had I not had my head under the hood, I may have been driving along and had the hose blow, oil everywhere, and a sudden lack of steering assistance or worst case a loss of control with oil under the tires. Not good on the freeway towing a trailer.
So, I will keep getting my head under the hood of every vehicle I own on a weekly basis.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:54 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Guess getting under the hood on a weekly basis certainly isn't gonna hurt anything. But theres a lot of things that can and will happen without warning that even a weekly check under the hood won't catch. Too many things to mention here. I'll take a peek at things under hood when i check the earl which is about every 5-K if i'm driving a known non burner, but other than that my hood stays closed cept for cleaning unless of course I see something on the ground or hear some strange noises.

Quick Reply: Just another old guy rant