C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP! Car with lock light on dash.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 06:05 PM
Briantg23
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP! Car with lock light on dash.

Im brand new to this forum and was attempting to find previous info here on this issue but couldn’t. i apologize if this is the wrong place for this but i am in desperate need of help.

I just purchased my auto 2008 ls3 C6 with 45k miles a month ago. The other day the car with lock light came on and my ac went hot, then check engine light came on and the car didn’t want to shift past second.
Took it to a shop where a friend works to read the code and they said it was the transmission control module. This shop doesn’t do tranny’s so i took it to a chevy dealer but both lights went off and the ac was blowing cold again by the time i got there. Dealer kept it for two days driving and testing but found no issues.

Had no problems for about a week but now randomly while driving that same car lock light will come on and make a chime noise and my ac will get hot.
If i shut the car off and try and start it again it’ll make a noise like a dead battery and not start for maybe 10 seconds then it’ll kick on and start out of no where. Sometimes with the light still on and sometimes with it gone. No check engine light now and transmission mostly seems fine although once in a while it sounds a little odd.
I have no idea what this light means or what causes it, it seems to come on randomly and usually causes my ac to go hot although it has come on and ac stayed cold or it’ll come on, ac goes hot, i keep driving a while and sometimes it gets cold again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2018, 06:23 PM
LS14ME2
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to C6 land. The very first thing to check is the battery. These cars do very strange things with a weak or bad battery, and I mean really odd off the wall stuff like you are describing. If your battery is over three years old, can be very suspicious.

Take it from there.

Good luck.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:44 PM
Briantg23
4th Gear

Originally Posted by LS14ME2
Welcome to C6 land. The very first thing to check is the battery. These cars do very strange things with a weak or bad battery, and I mean really odd off the wall stuff like you are describing. If your battery is over three years old, can be very suspicious.

Take it from there.

Good luck.

Would a weak/bad battery show up in the dash battery readings? because the voltage appears to be normal (right around the 13+ range)
Old 09-02-2018, 07:12 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Briantg23

Would a weak/bad battery show up in the dash battery readings? because the voltage appears to be normal (right around the 13+ range)
check the battery with a volt meter and without the car running. (You can do same thing with gauge on dash in run mode but without starting car). Should be 12.7v or so. Start car and see how low voltage drops o r have battery load tested at locale auto store. Even with voltmeter showing good reading, it may be weak or on the way out and load testing will show that.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:28 PM
Briantg23
4th Gear

Originally Posted by dpigguy

check the battery with a volt meter and without the car running. (You can do same thing with gauge on dash in run mode but without starting car). Should be 12.7v or so. Start car and see how low voltage drops o r have battery load tested at locale auto store. Even with voltmeter showing good reading, it may be weak or on the way out and load testing will show that.
Tested battery and voltage seems to be fine. I don’t understand what is causing this dash light and how it’s connected to my ac
Old 09-03-2018, 01:03 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Might be the Immobilizer malfunctioning. You can try disconnecting the battery for 10+ minutes, that might be enough to reset everything.

Look at these threads background:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-had-this.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-2006-c6.html

And / Or, you can try what GM mechanics call a "global reset". You disconnect BOTH battery cables from the battery and touch and hold the cable ends together for about 5 minutes. What that does is drain every last bit of electricity from the system so when you reconnect the battery everything in the car starts from baseline.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:32 PM
Briantg23
4th Gear

Originally Posted by RicK T
Might be the Immobilizer malfunctioning. You can try disconnecting the battery for 10+ minutes, that might be enough to reset everything.

Look at these threads background:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-had-this.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-2006-c6.html

And / Or, you can try what GM mechanics call a "global reset". You disconnect BOTH battery cables from the battery and touch and hold the cable ends together for about 5 minutes. What that does is drain every last bit of electricity from the system so when you reconnect the battery everything in the car starts from baseline.
I read through those threads and i’m not having any of those same issues. it’s just the ac with the anti theft light.
Also now the check engine light is back on and sometimes it doesn’t wanna shift and sometimes it does.

Could these be two different issues? The original check engine light code was the transmission control module but that doesn’t seem like it would be connected to the anti theft light or the hot ac.

This is so frustrating as it is currently 100+ degrees here in texas.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:36 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Do what has been suggested here..dont read about, just do it...then report back.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (09-04-2018)
Old 06-02-2020, 01:44 PM
MadZ172
3rd Gear

Sorry to bring up and old thread here but I’m having the same issues. I have a FBO built 2007 Z06. The only light on is the anti theft light(car with lock) and I’m having the same issue. It is intermittently coming on and it kills my ac(fan keeps working) and the traction control button does nothing. Next time I start it the light will be off and everything will be working as it should. I’ve replaced the car battery to be safe.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:05 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Welcome to the forum. There are many weird electrical lights, alarms etc. that can't be explained or diagnosed by codes.
Having been on here for awhile, there have been many situations with all kinds of various alarms and scenarios that is caused by eother a weak main battery, or fretting
of connector pins.
The attached PDF will show you what you should check.
1) Disconnect the main battery
2) Under the passenger floorboard, you will see 2 "BLUE" connectors that sometimnes get shifted by passengers pushing on the floorboard.
3) undo the connectors, check for pins being bent, etc.
4) Add dielectric grease to the pins, then reconnect the connectors.
5) Add spacers to stp the floorboard from making contact to those connectors.

Good Luck
Attached Images

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 06-02-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:56 AM
Djkaoss
1st Gear

Default Random dash messages and anti-theft light

Originally Posted by Briantg23
Im brand new to this forum and was attempting to find previous info here on this issue but couldn’t. i apologize if this is the wrong place for this but i am in desperate need of help.

I just purchased my auto 2008 ls3 C6 with 45k miles a month ago. The other day the car with lock light came on and my ac went hot, then check engine light came on and the car didn’t want to shift past second.
Took it to a shop where a friend works to read the code and they said it was the transmission control module. This shop doesn’t do tranny’s so i took it to a chevy dealer but both lights went off and the ac was blowing cold again by the time i got there. Dealer kept it for two days driving and testing but found no issues.

Had no problems for about a week but now randomly while driving that same car lock light will come on and make a chime noise and my ac will get hot.
If i shut the car off and try and start it again it’ll make a noise like a dead battery and not start for maybe 10 seconds then it’ll kick on and start out of no where. Sometimes with the light still on and sometimes with it gone. No check engine light now and transmission mostly seems fine although once in a while it sounds a little odd.
I have no idea what this light means or what causes it, it seems to come on randomly and usually causes my ac to go hot although it has come on and ac stayed cold or it’ll come on, ac goes hot, i keep driving a while and sometimes it gets cold again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I Had the same problem with my C6. All the dash lights would come on, warning messages for low fuel, shocks inop, etc and car would go into limp mode. Took it to my mechanic and he knew right away what the problem was. On my car the issue was, corroded wiring on the passenger side panel directly underneath the battery. At some point before I bought the car, maybe a battery had leaked or something had gotten it there and eat away at the wiring. He was able to pigtail a wiring harness and get me back on the road, and that solved my problem. FYI, he has his own shop now, but use to work at the dealership and said this was a common issue on these cars. I hope the helps solve your problem, it fixed mine.
Old 12-17-2023, 09:05 AM
seijack
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts

There is some good information in tylor232 post but nothing corvette specific. I checked my owners manual and this is what it said below I think they could have given some better information. I would start with the battery and have it load tested then work your way to check for corrosion issues then check the connections in the passenger footwell and then start checking grounds. I will check my factory repair manuals latter today.

Old 12-17-2023, 11:31 AM
Dads2kconvertible
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by seijack
I will check my factory repair manuals latter today.
The most recent post in this thread from someone having this issue is over 3 years old. There is no hurry.

Get notified of new replies

To PLEASE HELP! Car with lock light on dash.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP! Car with lock light on dash.