C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me make it Louder!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 03:02 PM
Hammy Thomas
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me make my exhaust Louder!

I just got the Corsa Xtreme axle-back put on my '08 today and it sounds great, but I want to make it louder! Excluding getting headers, for now, what are some steps I can take to bump up the volume of my exhaust 30%? 50%?

Thanks in advance!

Update: I went back to the shop that worked put on my exhaust, and I told them that I wanted to bump up the volume. They told me that they could MAKE a mid-pipe, deleting the post-cats/resonators, and make it true dual for $200 parts and labor. Is this a good option?

Last edited by Hammy Thomas; 09-05-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Evo_Joe
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammy Thomas
I just got the Corsa Xtreme axle-back put on my '08 today and it sounds great, but I want to make it louder! Excluding getting headers, for now, what are some steps I can take to bump up the volume of my exhaust 50%? 100%?

Thanks in advance!
I think people tend to lean towards the Corsa/Akropovic when they are partial to the euro-type exhaust sound, as opposed to the outright obnoxious guttural sound you could achieve w/ b&b bullets or borla atak. The aftermarket ones that aren't corsa/akro tend to have drone though, so there's a bit of give and take, as far as what sound you want to achieve and how much drone you can put up with. I suppose you could always have them open the muffler up and mod them, but they're going to be hard to sell after that, and you may not even get the sound you want. Instead of throwing good money after bad, try to find a local vette meet and sit in and hear some of the other exhausts that are out there. Once you find what you want, try to swap or sell yours maybe.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:07 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

What Intake do you have on it? Stock? You could change the sound a bit with a CAI. Or upgrade to a Cat back system to get the bigger pipes as well.

Buddy just put the same axle back on his 2008 and my 2015 2SS sounds a good bit better, but mine is a cat back system and I also have a CAI. He is strictly stock minus the axle-back. He is getting an intake next, so will be interesting to see how it changes his sound.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:54 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Only thing that will get you to your goal is headers and off road midpipe. Check out speedengineering.com.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:45 PM
Hammy Thomas
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SPSandman
What Intake do you have on it? Stock? You could change the sound a bit with a CAI. Or upgrade to a Cat back system to get the bigger pipes as well.

Buddy just put the same axle back on his 2008 and my 2015 2SS sounds a good bit better, but mine is a cat back system and I also have a CAI. He is strictly stock minus the axle-back. He is getting an intake next, so will be interesting to see how it changes his sound.
My vette has a CAI by SLP. I bought it with that, so I have no reference for how it used to sound. Would you consider your 2SS much louder than your friend's Vette? With your catback, you dropped the two 2nd cats so it should be louder, in theory? Do you have the x-pipe with your catpipe? Sorry for the many questions, but I'm new to this!
Old 09-04-2018, 09:28 PM
Sid1231987
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got the Corsa Xtreme axle-back put on my '08 today and it sounds great, but I want to make it louder! Excluding getting headers, for now, what are some steps I can take to bump up the volume of my exhaust 50%? 100%?

Thanks in advance!

Update: I went back to the shop that worked put on my exhaust, and I told them that I wanted to bump up the volume. They told me that they could MAKE a mid-pipe, deleting the second cats, and make it true dual for $200 parts and labor. Is this a good option?
delete the cats and put a big radical cam.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:07 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

The answer is cutouts. Fully sound adjusting.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:21 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

My vette has a CAI by SLP. I bought it with that, so I have no reference for how it used to sound. Would you consider your 2SS much louder than your friend's Vette? With your catback, you dropped the two 2nd cats so it should be louder, in theory? Do you have the x-pipe with your catpipe? Sorry for the many questions, but I'm new to this!
My car is quite a bit louder than his car. My car still has the stock cats on so the cat back just included larger 3" pipes than the stock (I think 2.5") and also removed the big stock "diffuser" that is in the middle of the stock exhaust. The Cat Back system replaced that with an X-Pipe. His is strictly axle back XTreme and nothing else as mine also has a Cold Air Inductions CAI. So with my L99 and his LS3, mine was definitely louder and throatier. Mine has a tune as well which may also have some effect on it as well, but probably not much sitting in their parking spots. Think that is mostly noticeable with the shifts and disabling of AFM.

Last edited by SPSandman; 09-04-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:38 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

CAI wont change exh note unfortunately.
Cam timing, compression, headers.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:54 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't see your location in your profile, but I will assume that during the winter your car won't be driven. With that said, I would take exhaust off and sell it during the winter months and buy or swap for something louder like the B&B Bullets or Borla Atak. Be warned, you may regret the drone.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:05 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have headers, no cats, and Corsa Xtreme. This is probably the loudest set up available outside of dumps and/or no mufflers. Adding headers would be the next step to make it louder, followed by removing the cats. Keep in mind, you must tune it to remove any emissions components.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:15 AM
Hammy Thomas
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NormWild
I have headers, no cats, and Corsa Xtreme. This is probably the loudest set up available outside of dumps and/or no mufflers. Adding headers would be the next step to make it louder, followed by removing the cats. Keep in mind, you must tune it to remove any emissions components.
Why would you recommend going headers first?
I am working on getting a tuner now, since I may delete the second cats first.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:50 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by NormWild
I'll respectfully disagree on headers making the a bigger sound difference than the offroad x.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:00 PM
Naldinator
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
The answer is cutouts. Fully sound adjusting.
Yup. AR headers and mid pipe then Cutouts with stock catback is the best.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:39 PM
Shikaitsu
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

What is the reason for not wanting to get headers? Is it a price thing or emissions testing? There are some reasonably priced headers out there that will get the job done. Alternatively, assuming price is the issue I pulled my factory cats off and gutted them with a pry bar as a temporary solution and it got quite a bit louder. I didn't buy headers because I knew sooner rather than later I was going turbo and didn't want to put money into any mod that I would have to get rid of. The car was tuned right after to remove the code for the lower O2 sensors.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:50 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Shikaitsu
What is the reason for not wanting to get headers? Is it a price thing or emissions testing? There are some reasonably priced headers out there that will get the job done. Alternatively, assuming price is the issue I pulled my factory cats off and gutted them with a pry bar as a temporary solution and it got quite a bit louder. I didn't buy headers because I knew sooner rather than later I was going turbo and didn't want to put money into any mod that I would have to get rid of. The car was tuned right after to remove the code for the lower O2 sensors.
California does not allow L/T headers. feel that they put the o2 sensor too far down stream, not letting them operate in the proper temp. range. while I agree with the logic, not sure that I agree with the results. the state is getting tougher on all emission related equipment. one shop even questions the fuel injectors ( not stock 'color' ) on my '98 Z28.
I do envy other states that have a 'bit' more freedom on add-ons. but at the same time, I guess it's good to have a good performing car that still runs clean too.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:56 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

If you want it louder, just simply remove the exhaust. I promise, it will be LOUD!!!. Other than what has been said, thats the only way, besides putting on a different axle back.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me make it Louder!

Old 09-06-2018, 12:35 PM
Shikaitsu
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by cgladish
California does not allow L/T headers. feel that they put the o2 sensor too far down stream, not letting them operate in the proper temp. range. while I agree with the logic, not sure that I agree with the results. the state is getting tougher on all emission related equipment. one shop even questions the fuel injectors ( not stock 'color' ) on my '98 Z28.
I do envy other states that have a 'bit' more freedom on add-ons. but at the same time, I guess it's good to have a good performing car that still runs clean too.
I'm lucky enough to live in a state that has no emissions testing so anything goes. My first car had a single turbo that dumped the exhaust right out the passenger side of the front bumper. This also means your average car features about half a dozen 1000 whp builds in anything from Vettes, Supras, R32 GTR's, you name it. It makes the car scene around here pretty expansive.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:54 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Shikaitsu
I'm lucky enough to live in a state that has no emissions testing so anything goes. My first car had a single turbo that dumped the exhaust right out the passenger side of the front bumper. This also means your average car features about half a dozen 1000 whp builds in anything from Vettes, Supras, R32 GTR's, you name it. It makes the car scene around here pretty expansive.
actually, let me correct my previous statement. it's not the o2 sensors that are the issue. it's the cat's.
the problem I have with the states position is that, even with the change to shorty headers, the cat's were still
mounted in the same postion as they were, with the long tube headers. the cat's can only be mounted in one spot
( as defined by the performed position in the car frame/body ). when using the shorty's, we had to use a short section of pipe to make up the difference from the long tube headers. so in basically, the cat's would always be in the same spot, regardless of the length of the headers. by the way, the car in question ( '98 Z28 ) ended up passing the emission with almost no NOX.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:55 PM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Why would you recommend going headers first?
I am working on getting a tuner now, since I may delete the second cats first.
Originally Posted by saplumr
I'll respectfully disagree on headers making the a bigger sound difference than the offroad x.
OK, I'll defer to those that have done it in three steps. I was thinking more in line of performance gains while increasing volume. I did my cat back first then did headers and off road X at the same time.

Last edited by NormWild; 09-13-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me make it Louder!