C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Radio options

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 04:27 PM
VVVROOMTX
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Aftermarket Radio options

Just got my 10' GS a few days ago and it has an aftermarket Kenwood unit installed that I'm not a fan of. I want something with a **** for volume and that has Apple car play and Bluetooth for music. Never upgraded the sound system in any car I've ever owned so this is new territory for me.

I found this Sony XAV-AX100 and like the stock look, **** and apple carplay. Will this be compatable and what else would i need for it to work? specific harnesses?
Amazon Amazon

Id like my phone to be wireless connected for everything if possible
Old 09-06-2018, 05:01 PM
bruno06
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 74 Posts

I have a 2010 GS also and was not happy with the stock radio set up. I chose a Kenwood Excelon. Didn’t need gps or nav, but wanted apple play, hands free and ability to use steering wheel controls.

i went with the Excelon version by Kenwood because the warranty is outstanding vs most regular head units.

i am a big fan of Crutchfield for guidance. They put my whole system together: radio, back up camera, and plug and play harness. Had Best Buy install it and love it. Best of luck to you.

enjoy your new baby
Old 09-06-2018, 07:06 PM
dkpnkc
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 208 Posts

I agree w/ using Crutchfield. You'll need an interface to keep the steering wheel controls & also a good wiring harness. For my '12 I use their service to get the wiring done prior to shipping - but they use crimps which I took off and soldered myself. I had that Sony in my '93 Corvette and didn't like it - but most of my issues were how the **** rubs agains the console plate. Something you won't have an issue with in the C6. I pulled it out and put in a Pioneer MVH-2300NEX which I like a lot better.

For the '12 I put in the Pioneer MVH-2400NEX and really like it.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:09 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

You should be able to remove the existing Kenwood and re-use the aftermarket wiring interface/harness. The installation gear is all the same regardless of your head unit brand. Also your phone should wirelessly connect for everything besides Apple CarPlay. For CarPlay you will need to connect it via usb. If you want wireless Apple CarPlay, you will have to look at a different head unit.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:28 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Mixed blessing on android radios, since the one you are looking at is locked.can not root it, and you can't other programs as will with the unit rooted isntead.

So if your going to shop for a android radio for the car, then make sure it can be rooted. This way you can add apps that you like and not be stuck with sub pair apps on the radio that only the radio manufacturer wants you to run instead. Hence for navigation , Waze can not be loaded on the radio.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:44 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by VVVROOMTX
Just got my 10' GS a few days ago and it has an aftermarket Kenwood unit installed that I'm not a fan of. I want something with a **** for volume and that has Apple car play and Bluetooth for music. Never upgraded the sound system in any car I've ever owned so this is new territory for me.

I found this Sony XAV-AX100 and like the stock look, **** and apple carplay. Will this be compatable and what else would i need for it to work? specific harnesses?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MF9W0GU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER &psc=1

Which Kenwood is it? Many of them have Volume +/- buttons like your iPhone. The **** will take up space that could be used for a bigger screen...

If you want wireless and CarPlay then you're looking at the latest greatest models like the Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX

Last edited by CrystalRedTed; 09-06-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:36 AM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MF9W0GU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER &psc=1

I have this radio in my '11 GS. It is a GREAT unit. Sounds excellent - huge improvement over stock. I use Android Auto, but the integration is seamless and I expect the same for Apple Car Play. And yes it looks stock and matches the console perfectly unlike the shiny plastic Kenwoods and Pioneers (I used to have a Kenwood and hated the fact the plastic didn't match). Also, the actual unit has single DIN-sized enclosure behind the double DIN screen, which makes installing with the adapter (PAC-GM-11 I think) module a breeze with all of the extra room. I strongly recommend ordering from Crutchfield and paying the extra 30 bucks to have them prewire the package. They'll send you everything you need for a plug-and-play install. Easiest stereo install I've ever done. BTW - I wired a camera to the front instead of the back and have found it MUCH more valuable because in a Corvette I think you're more likely to hit a curb than back into something, but that's just me. Camera integration on the unit is excellent, but it only has one camera hookup (if I recall), so if you want to run double cameras that might be an issue. Anyway - I can't recommend the Sony enough, especially at its price point.

...one last thing... With the Kenwood I had, even using multiple ground loop isolators and finally had a professional install because I got fed up trying myself, I could never fully get rid of the alternator whine. It wasn't loud, but it was always there, and I don't run a separate amp or anything that would have caused the sound other than the radio. I haven't had any issues with the Sony - no extraneous noise at all.

Last edited by CrvtBB; 09-07-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:07 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by CrystalRedTed
Which Kenwood is it? Many of them have Volume +/- buttons like your iPhone. The **** will take up space that could be used for a bigger screen...

If you want wireless and CarPlay then you're looking at the latest greatest models like the Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX
Just looked on the Crutchfield website, it says the Pioneer unit doesn't fit in our Corvettes, do you have this in your car and any installation problems? Thanks...
Old 09-07-2018, 08:40 AM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Originally Posted by RobLo
Just looked on the Crutchfield website, it says the Pioneer unit doesn't fit in our Corvettes, do you have this in your car and any installation problems? Thanks...
Hmmm. I have the previous model, which is the 8200NEX. No fitment issues on that one. Maybe they changed something - probably worth giving Crutchfield a call unless someone on the forum knows for sure. On the previous model I just plug in one cable for power and data/music/etc. Without the cable it can do bluetooth wireless, but not CarPlay wireless. Wireless CarPlay is a very recent thing.

Last edited by CrystalRedTed; 09-07-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:27 AM
VVVROOMTX
Racer

Its the DDX-719
Old 09-07-2018, 11:27 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RobLo
Here is a recent thread where someone mentions they installed the Pioneer 8400 without issue (post #30), but also other helpful info through out the thread if anyone is interested.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...head-unit.html

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 09-07-2018 at 11:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RobLo (09-10-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 11:32 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Also, for anyone interested in wireless CarPlay, Alpine also offers a couple models with that feature. I believe they were the first to offer wireless CarPlay with the ilx-107 and then the ilx-207.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:47 AM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Its the DDX-719
That's certainly not a bad unit. It's bluetooth and hands free calling enabled. It has mechanical buttons for volume control. Steering wheel controls should work if it was properly installed. If you don't like that stereo you're probably not going to like the newer Kenwood and Pioneer units either. Seems a shame to toss it to get a volume ****. As far as CarPlay goes, it's nice, but I probably wouldn't replace the DDX-719 just for CarPlay either.

Last edited by CrystalRedTed; 09-08-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:09 PM
VVVROOMTX
Racer

That's certainly not a bad unit. It's bluetooth and hands free calling enabled. It has mechanical buttons for volume control. Steering wheel controls should work if it was properly installed. If you don't like that stereo you're probably not going to like the newer Kenwood and Pioneer units either. Seems a shame to toss it to get a volume ****. As far as CarPlay goes, it's nice, but I probably wouldn't replace the DDX-719 just for CarPlay either.
So it should have no problem connecting via Bluetooth to my Iphone7? Ive tried and cant get it to work for the life of me
Old 09-08-2018, 09:07 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

So it should have no problem connecting via Bluetooth to my Iphone7? Ive tried and cant get it to work for the life of me
I don't have this particular system, but hop over to Crutchfield and take a look at the user's guide. There is some sort of bluetooth adapter called the KS-UBT1 USB Bluetooth adapter. It plugs into the front usb port of the stereo...if that's missing, it would explain your troubles.

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im.../613DDX719.PDF
Old 09-10-2018, 09:52 AM
endus
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 101 Posts

I had the AX-100 in my Miata that I just traded in, and installed another one in my 2011 Grand Sport this weekend. I went with the maximum laziness option from crutchfield so they even spliced the wiring harnesses together for me. It's a good head unit - has all the features I wanted and none that I didn't want. Unfortunately the MDM software my work uses blocks android auto from working properly, but I knew that going in to it. I have used the head unit with Android auto and it worked quite well.

I suspect that they might have upgraded the processor over the relatively short time since I bought the unit for my Miata. It seems a lot more responsive.

VERY easy install. The little GM adapter unit they sell you worked very well - it says it doesn't support fading with Bose systems but fading worked fine on mine. Kit has the wire for the steering wheel controls built in, so just program them in the head unit which is very simple.

The only thing I can complain about, and this is not a head unit issue, is that I'd like to use the steering wheel controls for my cell phone, not for onstar BS. I need to search some more, but it sounds like this is pretty typical. I'm sure I could work around it, but I'd like to find an easy fix rather than breaking out the wire cutters and going to town. I might not bother. Also, you do have to run the head units microphone - because of the onstar crap it won't use the car's mic for bluetooth calling. Really annoying, but not difficult.

One thing I am very happy about is that I think I am good with the bose system amps/speakers and this head unit. I wasn't looking forward to trying to find a place to mount an amp in the future. With the custom EQ setting and DSO you can dial out a lot of the typical Bose muddiness and get pretty decent, pretty loud sound. Megadeth's Skin-o-My-Teeth sounded amazing, LCD Sound System's Black screen needed a little more mid/low to bring the synths up louder, but I should be able to fix it with a little more careful eq-ing.

Ran the wire for a backup camera but I'm still waiting for the C7 camera I ordered to arrive. Not doing too bad for my second week owning the car, lol. Installed an MGW shifter at the same time but unfortunately the wire wrap for my custom mild-to-wild button didn't arrive in time so I either need to cram it in or take the dash partially apart again. Blek.

Last edited by endus; 09-10-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:27 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Your head unit is an older model, so my guess is there might be some compatibility issues with newer phones. Most newer head units have built in internal bluetooth. Your Kenwood model is a 2012 and has an external bluetooth adapter which is probably hidden behind the dash somewhere.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket Radio options

Old 09-10-2018, 10:38 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by endus
VERY easy install. The little GM adapter unit they sell you worked very well - it says it doesn't support fading with Bose systems but fading worked fine on mine. Kit has the wire for the steering wheel controls built in, so just program them in the head unit which is very simple.

The only thing I can complain about, and this is not a head unit issue, is that I'd like to use the steering wheel controls for my cell phone, not for onstar BS. I need to search some more, but it sounds like this is pretty typical. I'm sure I could work around it, but I'd like to find an easy fix rather than breaking out the wire cutters and going to town. I might not bother. Also, you do have to run the head units microphone - because of the onstar crap it won't use the car's mic for bluetooth calling. Really annoying, but not difficult..
There are a few different wiring harness interface adapters you could of purchased. My guess is that Crutchfield sold you the Pac Audio RP5-GM11. Pac Audio offers 2 units that are compatible with the C6. The RP5 and RP4-GM11 (the RP5 retains OnStar, the RP4 doesn't). If so, the steering wheel controls are programmable and could be programmed to work with your phone and not OnStar.
endus (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 12:41 PM
endus
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
There are a few different wiring harness interface adapters you could of purchased. My guess is that Crutchfield sold you the Pac Audio RP5-GM11. Pac Audio offers 2 units that are compatible with the C6. The RP5 and RP4-GM11 (the RP5 retains OnStar, the RP4 doesn't). If so, the steering wheel controls are programmable and could be programmed to work with your phone and not OnStar.
Yup, that's the one.

Thanks for the tip...I will look at the RP4 since I have to take the console out again anyway!
Old 09-10-2018, 02:13 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by endus
Yup, that's the one.

Thanks for the tip...I will look at the RP4 since I have to take the console out again anyway!
No need to change, both are programmable. Although I have heard that the RP4 is easier to program for some reason. But just follow the directions for the RP5 and/or a call to PAC customer service if you can’t get it should do the trick.
endus (09-11-2018)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Radio options