C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 Dip Stick Level

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 03:38 PM
gliderdriver
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default LS3 Dip Stick Level

I just had an oil change at the dealership with other maintenance ... and I checked the oil level.

My LS3 dip stick has three holes and a grid ... I assume the proper fill level should be somewhere in that area.

When the engine is stone cold - sitting for a couple of days ... the level is 1/2" above the high end of the grid.

If I start and let it run for a few minutes .... the level moves closer to the top ... but still 1/4" above. I assume the difference is in the filter or engine.

So, it looks like a little overfill ... should I drain a little ... or is this amount not an issue.

Thanks,

Old 09-10-2018, 04:00 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Don't think it will be an issue, maybe a 1/2 qt too much possibly, on my LS3 manual shift it takes 10 1/2 qts to check oil I run it to get at operating temp, turn engine off & wait 10-15 mins before I check the level & it's right in the middle of the grid,
Maybe some forum members will have more decisive advice than I do
The following users liked this post:
gliderdriver (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 04:03 PM
gliderdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnathon59
Don't think it will be an issue, maybe a 1/2 qt too much possibly, on my LS3 manual shift it takes 10 1/2 qts to check oil I run it to get at operating temp, turn engine off & wait 10-15 mins before I check the level & it's right in the middle of the grid,
Maybe some forum members will have more decisive advice than I do
OK ... thanks ... I don't have a dry sump ... so my overall capacity is less ... but thinking no issue as well ... thx ...
Old 09-10-2018, 04:13 PM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I know our manuals say 5.5 quarts and when I check the stick it's a little below full so for the last year or so I just run 6 quarts and that puts stick to the full mark, haven't had any issues at all. I don't think a half a quart either way will bother anything.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:33 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

1/2" above the cross hatched area is way too much, IMO. That has to be more than just a half quart extra.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:05 PM
gliderdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by EVRose
1/2" above the cross hatched area is way too much, IMO. That has to be more than just a half quart extra.
Yeah ... can I adjust by siphoning through the dip stick ... I have never been under the C6 and would have to jack properly ... then find the drain plug ,,, I typically change oil on my jeep - just haven't been through the process on the vette ... if I can siphon ... would 1/4" pvc tubing work ???

Last edited by gliderdriver; 09-10-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 148 Posts

That 1/2 " over is not going to cause you any issues! And as of trying to remove some thru the dipstick tube, that'll never work. I bet it's probably just like others have said, 1/2 quart at the most.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:31 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

If your willing to drain it...let it cool off and let the oil return to the pan and just change the filter(dry). If not then that amount isnt going to cause any damage. Its all in the way it bothers you....

Clif
Old 09-10-2018, 06:34 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Cromwell
That 1/2 " over is not going to cause you any issues! And as of trying to remove some thru the dipstick tube, that'll never work. I bet it's probably just like others have said, 1/2 quart at the most.
Hard to believe that only a 1/2 quart in the size of an LS3 oil pan would raise the oil a half inch.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:55 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Hard to believe that only a 1/2 quart in the size of an LS3 oil pan would raise the oil a half inch.
I always put 6 qts in mine and it's still in the cross hatch area.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:33 PM
gliderdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by EVRose
I always put 6 qts in mine and it's still in the cross hatch area.
OK ... I will drain ... I have to learn the process anyway ... I'll see if I can measure the actual difference ...

Too bad the dealer did not fill properly in the first place ... thanks for all the forum responses ...

Old 09-10-2018, 09:04 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by gliderdriver
OK ... I will drain ... I have to learn the process anyway ... I'll see if I can measure the actual difference ...

Too bad the dealer did not fill properly in the first place ... thanks for all the forum responses ...
I would take it back to the dealer that overfilled it and have them fix it.

This just happened with our Ford Escape. Came home after a oil change and it was over a half inch full on the dipstick. Took it back the next day and made them fix it.

Last edited by R&L's C6; 09-10-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:58 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by SixAddict
I know our manuals say 5.5 quarts and when I check the stick it's a little below full so for the last year or so I just run 6 quarts and that puts stick to the full mark, haven't had any issues at all. I don't think a half a quart either way will bother anything.
What year is your C6? My owners manual for my 2013 LS3 Base Convertible A6 says 6 qts. with oil filter. That’s what I put in and it is always at the top hatch mark on the dip stick. I previously owned a 2007 LS2 Base Convertible A6 and I believe the owners manual said 6.5 qts. with oil filter. On the 2007 my GM certified world class technician said to put in 7 qts of oil with the filter change. I always did that and the dip stick always showed filled to the top hatch mark.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:07 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The confusion about capacities has been the subject of many posts, but the bottom line is the LS3 wet sump takes 5.5 quarts plus and extra .5 quart if it is equipped with a factory oil cooler. Several owner's manuals have conflicting info as well as some years of service manuals. The dealers had info both ways, so you can't trust much of anything or anyone regarding this issue. Hib Halverson researched this several years ago and was surprised at how the info got so mangled.
Here's what the '08 OM says: "When to Add Engine Oil (Except Z06) If the oil is below the cross-hatched area at the tip of the dipstick, add at least one quart/liter of the recommended oil. This section explains what kind of oil to use. For engine oil crankcase capacity, see Capacities and Specifications on page 5-103."
Under racing, the suggestion is to add 1 extra quart prior to the competition and remove it afterwards.
There is also a warning to not overfill. Of course, they don't mention how much is considered an overfill condition.
The standard conditions for checking are: After the engine is at full temperature (generally oil above 190), while on a level surface, wait 5 minutes after shutting down to check the level. The dipstick gridded area represents 1 quart.
My method after a change, is to add 5 quarts (a full 5 qt jug), and drive the car for enough to bring the oil temp to 200, then check the level and add as required to get to the top of the grid. For those of you that have someone else do your service work, buy your own oil and hand them only the 5 qt jug. Then add what you need later. You're assured to have the correct oil (filter too if you want) and only pay for the services they provide. If they refuse, then go someplace else, since that's a sign that you can't trust them.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:53 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
The confusion about capacities has been the subject of many posts, but the bottom line is the LS3 wet sump takes 5.5 quarts plus and extra .5 quart if it is equipped with a factory oil cooler. Several owner's manuals have conflicting info as well as some years of service manuals. The dealers had info both ways, so you can't trust much of anything or anyone regarding this issue. Hib Halverson researched this several years ago and was surprised at how the info got so mangled.
Here's what the '08 OM says: "When to Add Engine Oil (Except Z06) If the oil is below the cross-hatched area at the tip of the dipstick, add at least one quart/liter of the recommended oil. This section explains what kind of oil to use. For engine oil crankcase capacity, see Capacities and Specifications on page 5-103."
Under racing, the suggestion is to add 1 extra quart prior to the competition and remove it afterwards.
There is also a warning to not overfill. Of course, they don't mention how much is considered an overfill condition.
The standard conditions for checking are: After the engine is at full temperature (generally oil above 190), while on a level surface, wait 5 minutes after shutting down to check the level. The dipstick gridded area represents 1 quart.
My method after a change, is to add 5 quarts (a full 5 qt jug), and drive the car for enough to bring the oil temp to 200, then check the level and add as required to get to the top of the grid. For those of you that have someone else do your service work, buy your own oil and hand them only the 5 qt jug. Then add what you need later. You're assured to have the correct oil (filter too if you want) and only pay for the services they provide. If they refuse, then go someplace else, since that's a sign that you can't trust them.
Both my 07 auto and my 08 auto takes 5.5 qts and that is what i put in.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:55 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick369

What year is your C6? My owners manual for my 2013 LS3 Base Convertible A6 says 6 qts. with oil filter. That’s what I put in and it is always at the top hatch mark on the dip stick. I previously owned a 2007 LS2 Base Convertible A6 and I believe the owners manual said 6.5 qts. with oil filter. On the 2007 my GM certified world class technician said to put in 7 qts of oil with the filter change. I always did that and the dip stick always showed filled to the top hatch mark.
Hum...My 07 LS2 base was 5.5 qts.....Did you have a bigger oil pan installed?

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 09-11-2018 at 11:52 PM. Reason: add
Old 09-11-2018, 07:32 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

My 07 is 5.5 qts. I removed a half qt. After it was filled too high.
The following users liked this post:
gliderdriver (09-11-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 Dip Stick Level

Old 09-11-2018, 08:51 AM
gliderdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by enventr
My 07 is 5.5 qts. I removed a half qt. After it was filled too high.
Thanks ... yes I plan to drain ... should I jack (I have to get pucks I think) ... or use commercial (rhino) ramps ... or make ramps ...

Can you reach the plug from the driver side if you jack one side (just to drain a quart) ... or drive up on ramps?
Old 09-11-2018, 09:01 AM
gliderdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
<>... Under racing, the suggestion is to add 1 extra quart prior to the competition and remove it afterwards.
There is also a warning to not overfill. Of course, they don't mention how much is considered an overfill condition.,,, <>

Just curious ... where is this suggestion to add one quart ... so would this would indicate that an extra quart would cause no issue - in a high rpm situation ... ???
Old 09-11-2018, 09:08 AM
gliderdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rick369

2008 C6 LS3 Base Vert ...

Last edited by gliderdriver; 09-11-2018 at 09:11 AM.

Quick Reply: LS3 Dip Stick Level