Scraping rocker panel on apex of driveway - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scraping rocker panel on apex of driveway

Old 09-10-2018, 08:33 PM
Guyzer7

Default Scraping rocker panel on apex of driveway

Some of you may experience one or both of your rocker panels scraping the apex of your driveway as you pull into your garage. My solution was to buy a pair of Race Ramps for about $95 a pair. My Vette scraped on the passenger side so I only needed one pair. I placed a concrete and stone paver in between to maintain the ride height until it cleared the apex. Works like a charm!

The Following User Says Thank You to Guyzer7 For This Useful Post:
Jstan2014 (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 03:41 PM
Jstan2014
CF Senior Member

Good idea you have there! My three piece air dam and splitter tend to scrape entering/exiting the driveway, but I've never scraped a rocker panel. I enter at a crazy angle (almost completely sideways as though I'm going to drive into the yard) and utilize the entire width of the driveway to get in. Are you scraping your rocker panel on stock height or are you lowered? Just curious.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:55 PM
Jimmy W1
CF Senior Member

Did you ever think about raising the frame above the door?

Old 09-13-2018, 06:08 PM
cgladish
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

these would have been required on previous ride ( lowered '98 Z/28 ). I could not enter the garage, or I would have
been high centered.
the same garage is no problem for my C6. although I did take a small chunk out the rocker panel on, a short in length,
but tall speed bump. I was going as slow as I could, but the nice scraping sound, let me know I had insufficient clearance.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:24 AM
Guyzer7

Originally Posted by Jstan2014 View Post
Good idea you have there! My three piece air dam and splitter tend to scrape entering/exiting the driveway, but I've never scraped a rocker panel. I enter at a crazy angle (almost completely sideways as though I'm going to drive into the yard) and utilize the entire width of the driveway to get in. Are you scraping your rocker panel on stock height or are you lowered? Just curious.
I have a stock height.
Jstan2014 (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 02:48 AM
Guyzer7

Originally Posted by Jimmy W1 View Post
Did you ever think about raising the frame above the door?

Not sure what your talking about. My garage slab is about 5 feet above street grade so the upward slope of the driveway as it transitions to the slab creates a high point. Its just enough to lightly scrap the rocker panel. Also, when they poured the concrete driveway, they must have done a poor job leveling it because it only scraps on the passenger side of the rocker panel. My tire air pressure is balanced, so it is not that. I can post a picture of that helps.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:52 AM
Guyzer7

Originally Posted by cgladish View Post
these would have been required on previous ride ( lowered '98 Z/28 ). I could not enter the garage, or I would have
been high centered.
the same garage is no problem for my C6. although I did take a small chunk out the rocker panel on, a short in length,
but tall speed bump. I was going as slow as I could, but the nice scraping sound, let me know I had insufficient clearance.
Ouch! Its something Vette owners have to live with. That's the trade off for that sleek sexy Vette look. My Vette looks fast just sitting there!
Old 09-14-2018, 06:36 AM
jackjohnson_218
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Guyzer7 View Post
Not sure what your talking about. My garage slab is about 5 feet above street grade so the upward slope of the driveway as it transitions to the slab creates a high point. Its just enough to lightly scrap the rocker panel. Also, when they poured the concrete driveway, they must have done a poor job leveling it because it only scraps on the passenger side of the rocker panel. My tire air pressure is balanced, so it is not that. I can post a picture of that helps.
Could you post a zoomed out picture of your driveway and how it meets the garage slab. It doesn't look any worse than mine in the one photo you have but it's hard to tell the angle from that shot.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:53 AM
Jimmy W1
CF Senior Member

You remember that old (worn out joke) about the two hillbillies- one of them said that his mule's ears were hitting the top of the barn door every time he went in and out of the barn. So he raised the top of the barn door sill.

The other hillbilly said, "Why didn't you just dig a trench under the door?"

And the first hillbilly said,

"His ears were hittin'!! Not his feet!!"

Sorry for the bad joke.
Ha-ha!!

Last edited by Jimmy W1; 09-14-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:08 PM
Guyzer7

Originally Posted by Jimmy W1 View Post
You remember that old (worn out joke) about the two hillbillies- one of them said that his mule's ears were hitting the top of the barn door every time he went in and out of the barn. So he raised the top of the barn door sill.

The other hillbilly said, "Why didn't you just dig a trench under the door?"

And the first hillbilly said,

"His ears were hittin'!! Not his feet!!"

Sorry for the bad joke.
Ha-ha!!
Even the sheep thought that was a baaaaad joke! haha
Old 09-14-2018, 01:23 PM
Guyzer7

Originally Posted by jackjohnson_218 View Post
Could you post a zoomed out picture of your driveway and how it meets the garage slab. It doesn't look any worse than mine in the one photo you have but it's hard to tell the angle from that shot.
Here ya go!

Jstan2014 (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 02:47 PM
jackjohnson_218
CF Senior Member

Here ya go!

ok now I see what you mean, you win. Mine is nowhere as steep. Car looks great though!
The Following User Says Thank You to jackjohnson_218 For This Useful Post:
Guyzer7 (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 03:58 PM
PCMusicGuy
CF Senior Member

Glad the solution worked for you. That is definitely steep.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:12 PM
Sox-Fan
CF Senior Member

Old 09-14-2018, 05:42 PM
Guyzer7

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan View Post
Do you have these on your car? They are 5/8" thick so I'm wondering if you scrape speed bumps and the like. Definitely, prefer ramps for clearance in my situation.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:36 PM
Sox-Fan
CF Senior Member

Had them on 3 of my c5s. Current car is a c6 z06 and they don't make them for the c6 Z or I would have them on it too. I loved them. Yes they scraped here and there on speed bumps and the like. They're supposed to scrape before the rocker panel does. They do a really good job at what they are intended to do, which is protect the rocker panel and frame from damage. Yes they are 5/8 inch but if you look, the rocker panel hangs lower than the frame. These mount to the frame and they have to go below the rocker to protect it, so yes, they need to be pretty thick. They're also sacrificial and will wear a little over time, so you want them to be a little on the thick side. I appreciated being able to go wherever I wanted to with confidence and not worrying about the bottom of my rocker panels getting gouged up by high centering on a driveway or speed bump.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sox-Fan For This Useful Post:
Guyzer7 (09-16-2018)

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: