Big increase for Insurance! Need Options - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big increase for Insurance! Need Options

Old 09-12-2018, 08:27 PM
Johnathon59
CF Senior Member

Default Big increase for Insurance! Need Options

My vette insurance was $400 yr when I bought my '13 GS now after my wife's 2 tickets & 2 at fault accidents with her Mercedes my cost just on my car has gone to $2450 yr. she doesn't drive the vette but because we live under the same roof she must be covered on it, BTW I have zero tickets or claims & drive about 2K miles a yr. so insurance cost more than a dollar a mile, I have checked with other companies but once they ask about tickets or accidents they say call back in 3 yrs when they are not figured into the quote for coverage, (Arizona) . Does anyone know of a company that will write separate policies even with my wife's bad record,or has been in my position & found another option, I'm afraid selling the vette might be the only way, and no I'm not divorcing her , although I have threatened her..
Old 09-12-2018, 08:33 PM
rkj427
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,072 Times in 928 Posts

try Adam Boca at the Corvette Museum and see if he can assist...…………. may have been better if you mentioned your current provider too
The Following User Says Thank You to rkj427 For This Useful Post:
Landru (09-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 08:34 PM
saplumr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thatís way to much baggage. No company will want anything to do with that.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:01 PM
Johnathon59
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by rkj427 View Post
try Adam Boca at the Corvette Museum and see if he can assist...ÖÖÖÖ. may have been better if you mentioned your current provider too
Progressive, but I'm certain that most if not all companies would of increased my rate at this point anyway, I'm not saying Progressive is a bad company just the insurance companies unwilling to insure married couples separately, we don't share the same FICO credit score so
why auto insurance when we have separate cars
Old 09-12-2018, 09:10 PM
saplumr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Johnathon59 View Post
Progressive, but I'm certain that most if not all companies would of increased my rate at this point anyway, I'm not saying Progressive is a bad company just the insurance companies unwilling to insure married couples separately, we don't share the same FICO credit score so
why auto insurance when we have separate cars
The reason is they realize the chances of one or the other could drive any vehicle in the family. The only legitimate chance to possibly avoid that would to stipulate your wife would not be allowed to drive the car but if she did and wrecked it there would be a serious liability issue so that would probably be impossible to pull off.

Last edited by saplumr; 09-12-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:11 PM
FAUEE
CF Senior Member

You're probably screwed honestly. U less you divorce, kick her out, or take away her license you're probably screwed unless you have another car as a DD, and can do a special collector policy on the vette.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:22 PM
ruxvette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

My vette insurance was $400 yr...has gone to $2450 yr...no I'm not divorcing her...
You are not divorcing her why???
Old 09-12-2018, 09:25 PM
PRNDL
CF Senior Member

I'm afraid selling the vette might be the only way
Won't your insurance be very expensive now on ANY vehicle?
Old 09-12-2018, 09:47 PM
Johnathon59
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by PRNDL View Post
Won't your insurance be very expensive now on ANY vehicle?
I'm counting on a big $$ difference if I go to a small Nissan SUV or something similar but I will get an Insurance quote b4 buying anything, staying away from any high performance car would be the goal, I can't imagine what it would cost if I was 30 something
instead of 68 & retired
Old 09-12-2018, 09:56 PM
ruxvette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

I'm counting on a big $$ difference if I go to a small Nissan SUV or something similar but I will get an Insurance quote b4 buying anything, staying away from any high performance car would be the goal, I can't imagine what it would cost if I was 30 something
instead of 68 & retired
Park the vette, just put comp on it, buy a beater daily, when you want to do a couple days in the vette get full coverage and then drop back.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:57 PM
QuickSilver20

Iím not sure if it would be any different but you may want to try a specialized insurance company that does speciality/ Classic cars like hagerty. Iíve seen a few threads on different companies on here and seems like these companies are a lot more reasonable for insuring just the sports car compared to a State Farm, nationwide, etc.

Yeara ago ago I had a minor fender bender in NC and my insurance doubled so I know how you feel. Our insurance companies are the same way in NC where these things screw you for theee years.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:01 PM
saplumr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Iíve been married 43 years. I replace my wifeís vehicle usually every year to two years. She drives a Yukon Denali XL which is really to big for her. She constantly bangs the wheels on the bank drive thru. I hate it but deal with it. Not sure how Iíd handle her wrecking twice plus speeding tickets. That would be a tough situation.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:01 PM
Welker1
CF Senior Member

instead of 68 & retired
We own 3 vehicles, all with the same exact coverage; 2006 Corvette, 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS and a 2014 Traverse. The 2014 CUV is the one I pay the highest annual rates on, the cheapest is my Corvette at over half the cost per year. So, it's not just what type of vehicle, it's the year (i.e. how new it is) that also play a factor .. at least according the agent I talked to when I wanted to know why there was such a difference.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:04 PM
Oh Boy
CF Senior Member

Very simple. If you have kids just change the address on your drivers license to their address and get a new policy. (Assuming they have clean records.)
Old 09-12-2018, 10:07 PM
FAUEE
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Oh Boy View Post
Very simple. If you have kids just change the address on your drivers license to their address and get a new policy. (Assuming they have clean records.)
Insurance fraud is the simple solution? Haha.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:07 PM
saplumr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Welker1 View Post
We own 3 vehicles, all with the same exact coverage; 2006 Corvette, 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS and a 2014 Traverse. The 2014 CUV is the one I pay the highest annual rates on, the cheapest is my Corvette at over half the cost per year. So, it's not just what type of vehicle, it's the year (i.e. how new it is) that also play a factor .. at least according the agent I talked to when I wanted to know why there was such a difference.
Thereís no question the newer the vehicle the higher the rate. I can trade a one year old vehicle in on the exact same new vehicle and the insurance is considerably higher.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:09 PM
Patsgarage
CF Senior Member

My wife and I have separate policies, Travelers and NJM. There are not too many companies that will allow more than one policy per household.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:12 PM
Oh Boy
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by FAUEE View Post
Insurance fraud is the simple solution? Haha.
How is that fraud? Your not allowed to live at two residences or have two addresses? You can use any address on your drivers license. **** I must have changed mine five times in the last ten years to suit my needs. No where does it say you have to live at the address on your drivers license.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:26 PM
buckmeister2
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Oh Boy View Post
How ridiculous...are you serious? So, are you going to lie about how many drivers in the family? They will ask for the names and license of all drivers...which will link to record, and you would be dropped like a rock. Even if you do succeed in the ruse, any accident will land you in jail for fraud.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:27 PM
Johnathon59
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Patsgarage View Post
My wife and I have separate policies, Travelers and NJM. There are not too many companies that will allow more than one policy per household.
Travelers huh ? didn't even think about them, could I get separate auto policies for Arizona ?..maybe...Think I will give them a call tomorrow, Thanks for the info

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: