C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 drivetrain noise when hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 12:40 AM
Randy Firor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 drivetrain noise when hot

My new/old vette, 2005 manual, has a noise that I notice when it's summer in AZ, that's like half of the year. Anyway it's a noise that I feel as much or more than I hear it. If you sit in neutral and rev it it is heard/felt around 1900 Rpm and it sounds/feels reminiscent of a bushing vibration or maybe a sound from a cheap anti-lock brake system. Sort of like a low rough Brrrrrrrrr, kind of sound. It doesn't sound good, but more so it doesn't feel good, almost like the drivetrain is spinning against something. I know nothing about the torque tube driven transaxle thing but I imagine it has something to do with it.. Car has 39K mi on it and 'ive driven it since 14K.and haven't noticed it till the end of last summer, then it went away during the winter, and back again as soon as summer came.

Is this familiar to any of you C6 owners out there?
Old 09-14-2018, 02:55 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

See if it goes away when you disable the air conditioning (i.e. press the crossed-out snowflake button).
Old 09-14-2018, 04:37 AM
Gator6977
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Sound like your torque tube bearing might be needing some attention. Tons of topics on it, here's one...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-bearings.html
Old 09-14-2018, 05:44 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator6977
Sound like your torque tube bearing might be needing some attention. Tons of topics on it, here's one...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-bearings.html
There are three bearings (one front and two rear) and two elastomers (guibos -- modern u-joints) in the torque tube. I recently had to have all of them replaced at 135,000 miles. The good news is that this fixed an ugly vibration problem I was having. The bad news is that both the bearings and elastomers are out of production. You may have trouble finding them.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 drivetrain noise when hot

Quick Reply: C6 drivetrain noise when hot