C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Coverage question on 427

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 08:18 PM
UpnorthWis
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Extended Coverage question on 427

Hello everyone, My extended coverage on my 2013 427 vert. is due to expire this month. I contacted the company now running the original GMPP plan and they are quoting me $ 2700.00 full coverage for 6 years / 75,000 miles. I only have 5100 miles on her now, so i never plan on hitting 75,000. My question is this a fair deal or not ? Thanks John
Old 09-17-2018, 08:47 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by UpnorthWis
Hello everyone, My extended coverage on my 2013 427 vert. is due to expire this month. I contacted the company now running the original GMPP plan and they are quoting me $ 2700.00 full coverage for 6 years / 75,000 miles. I only have 5100 miles on her now, so i never plan on hitting 75,000. My question is this a fair deal or not ? Thanks John
Bottom line, fair deal if you sleep better knowing you’re covered and can’t afford to self insure for future issues should they arise.

You need to define several things to fully answer your basic question. How long do you anticipate keeping the car? Have you had any issues to date or suspect you may have before you sell car? Can you afford a major repair cost should one arise down the road? How lucky do you feel? As to value, look at the cost of some repairs from engine repairs to electronic issues. $2700 bucks can be spent quickly in these cars. I had front shocks and front leaf spring replaced on my 2008 for $1700. My GMEPP paid all but $100 and the total was equal to the original policy cost. I’m on my third and final extended warranty and as my car ages, so does the likelihood of another failure like the harmonic balancer, engine or body control modules, etc.

For me, it’s worth the cost.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:47 AM
UpnorthWis
Advanced

Thanks, you bring up a point, I was only considering it for the catastrophic engine failure of the LS7 as I have not addressed the heads ( yet ) but I was not thinking of the other issues that may occur. I don't for see putting a lot of miles on it, maybe a 1000 a year at tops, but with the history of the LS7 and the other point you made. I too, now see it's worth the price. Thanks
Old 09-18-2018, 09:17 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

I drive an '08, bought new. Always had a GMPP & lastly GMEPP.
Unfortunately for me GMEPP would not renew me again, 3's their limit so had to include first 2 GMPP.
I bought the extended coverage precisely for & because of the expensive LS7.
Whether valve issue's real or not I wasn't willing to gamble so extended warranty cost easily justified.
Forced my hand, had heads rebuilt.
Since engine was apart anyway had a "baby cam' installed because I like stock just fine, not looking for monster gains.

In your shoes?
Get extended warranty, while you can, primarily for LS7coverage; but, don't overlook other possible issues, either.
Just buy GMEPP's 'Platinum' /top coverage, resist being penny-wise & dollar foolish w/ Silver or it'll quite likely bite you in the backside.
Platinum level has much fewer exclusions and as your C6 ages weird crap, in my case headlight ballasts, will go south.
Platinum would've covered ballasts & you guessed it my Silver didn't.
Know what a stinking HL ballast installed costs at either an indy shop OR dealer?
A lot, especially galling when under an illusion such items would be covered while informed fix is on my dime.

IF buying buy premium GMEPP policy which only enhances your getting your money's worth if coverage is ever needed.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:40 AM
GS982
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 200 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Might want to contact Dennis Fitchner at Menholt Chevrolet. I bought my GMEPP for my 427 a few months back from him.

Here is his email: dfichtner@dennymenholt.com.

For a platinum GMEPP, $0 deductible, 72 mo./48K miles, I was quoted $2205. That price has a $300 discount he was running at the time and seems like he offers this discount to forum members fairly often. He can give you a long list of options for mileage, deductible, term, etc. I ended up going with a Platinum, $0 deductible, 48mo./32K mille warranty for $1130. FWIW, I have 6,500 miles currently on my car, and wanted the protection in case of the catastrophic engine failure from the rod/bearing failures in the '13 LS7s. I plan on sending oil samples to blackstone at every oil change to make sure I am not getting high amounts of titanium in the oil. If all is good after the 4 years, I will probably just address the heads on my car instead of ponying up big money for a GMEPP on a 10 year old car. I also expect I will drive around 1,000 miles per year.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:04 PM
UpnorthWis
Advanced

Thanks for the tip of Dennis Fitchner, I will reach out to him !

Get notified of new replies

To Extended Coverage question on 427

Quick Reply: Extended Coverage question on 427