C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking sound from front left wheel when turning left

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 07:27 PM
C6Tally
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clicking sound from front left wheel when turning left

So I just got this 2010 base vert last week and everything seems to be working fine.
But.....
I keep hearing a clicking sound from the front driver side when I turn left. It sounds similar to the old cv axles when the boot would go bad on a front wheel drive car but a little less exaggerated.

The previous owner said it had never been hit and it has a clean carfax history, alignment is fine and there's no other symptoms I can find currently.

What would cause this?
Old 09-18-2018, 08:20 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Tally
So I just got this 2010 base vert last week and everything seems to be working fine.
But.....
I keep hearing a clicking sound from the front driver side when I turn left. It sounds similar to the old cv axles when the boot would go bad on a front wheel drive car but a little less exaggerated.

The previous owner said it had never been hit and it has a clean carfax history, alignment is fine and there's no other symptoms I can find currently.

What would cause this?
Could be a wheel bearing going bad. Try jacking the left front....then spin the wheel by hand & have a helper turn the steering full left & right.....might help to pinpoint the noise although there may need to be load on the suspension to cause the noise. If it happens at very low speed, you could get a helper to walk alongside & try to hear where the noise is coming from.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:32 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

But.....

What would cause this?
While you have it jacked up, take the wheel off and clean the wheel and spindle where they contact each other. Be sure to re-torque the lugs in the order shown in your owners manual and at 100 ft-lbs. Had similar noise which proved to be dirt and grime build up on the mating surface of the wheel.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:42 AM
C6Tally
Instructor

Originally Posted by dpigguy

While you have it jacked up, take the wheel off and clean the wheel and spindle where they contact each other. Be sure to re-torque the lugs in the order shown in your owners manual and at 100 ft-lbs. Had similar noise which proved to be dirt and grime build up on the mating surface of the wheel.
Did you just clean both surfaces with brake cleaner?
Old 09-19-2018, 08:30 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Did you just clean both surfaces with brake cleaner?
yep and a wire brush. Post back when you find your problem so we can all learn from your misfortune.
The following users liked this post:
Rick369 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 09:13 PM
C6Tally
Instructor

Originally Posted by dpigguy

yep and a wire brush. Post back when you find your problem so we can all learn from your misfortune.
Ironic twist today.

I drove through a pretty good rain storm on the way home from work tonight and the sound seems to have gone away.
If it remains gone through the weekend I'll report back that it must've gotten a good rinse in the rain.
If it comes back, I'll try cleaning the surfaces and get back to you afterwards.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:12 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Might have been a pebble or a nail head stuck in between the thread . Keep an eye out for a slow leak. Its happened to me. A slow unexplained loss of tire pressure when the nail head wears off

Clif
Old 09-20-2018, 10:06 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by z06clif
Might have been a pebble or a nail head stuck in between the thread . Keep an eye out for a slow leak. Its happened to me. A slow unexplained loss of tire pressure when the nail head wears off

Clif
Very possible. Rocks will sometimes generate unusual noises which can mimic wheel bearing or brake pad issues. I would remove the wheel and look at everything just to make sure.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:53 PM
C6Tally
Instructor

The noise is still gone 150 miles later.

I took a good look this weekend and didn't see anything remarkable.

I think whatever it was, it was rinsed out by driving through the rainstorm.

Thanks again to everybody for chiming in.

Get notified of new replies

To Clicking sound from front left wheel when turning left

Quick Reply: Clicking sound from front left wheel when turning left