C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much less would you pay....?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 04:37 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Oh boy, 919, JJ1...I am not a buyer for any pre-owned damaged car or lot damaged new car.
Especially with paint work!
I gather my comment was not clearly written for the forum.
As stated I am of different mind as an owner/ buyer not "flipper"/ buyer, race car/ buyer.
I am not dreaming; I am not buying.
I was correct with my use of the word controversial in describing my comment.

Last edited by Kenny94945; 09-20-2018 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-20-2018, 04:54 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Oh boy, 919, JJ1...I am not a buyer for any pre-owned damaged car or lot damaged new car.
As stated I am of different mind as an owner/ buyer not "flipper"/ buyer, race car/ buyer.
Yes it was clearly written. You said it would have to be a 50-75% discount. So that means you would be buying. And in that case again keep dreaming.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:50 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Less 18%
Old 09-20-2018, 06:47 PM
2012CyberGrayGS
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am of different mind.
My comments can be controversial, but that's my opinion when a Vette is body or engine damaged.
Is the OP a buyer or seller?

Me as a buyer...I would not consider, would have to be very attractive discount 50-75% off.
Again I would not personally buy.
There are to many non-story/ painted cars available to choose from.
A $3K to $5K reduction is not attractive for the future resale risk and paint issues.

Me as a seller...I'd feel f**cked.
I'd would have traded in immediately and gotten diminished value
hoping that the sales price and DM equated to the total value.
There is a formula for DM based on the repair cost and I guess that formula answer will answer that
part of the OPs question.

Sorry to read about the not the OPs fault accident.
Yes I was the "victim" and I might possibly sell it. I did and kind of still do feel like you said you would feel. I told that guy too. He was nice and apologetic but I told him thats nice but it is going to cost me way more than it is going to cost you. He said he would make it right but didn't offer any diminished value. I have thought about trying to contact him and tell him what the fair market value was when I went to trade it in and what the dealer offered me. They said they would have paid full market value but because of the accident they offered me $5500 less than fair market value. That is when I looked into diminished value and started to pursue it.
The accident happened almost 4yrs ago. We just stopped at a red light and 2-3 seconds later his lights started getting closer and closer until he bumped me. I had pumped my brakes trying to get his attention but no luck.
I inquired about diminished value but was given bad advise by a couple people and shame on me that I didn't do any research beyond the 2 people I talked to. One person said I couldn't get diminished value (he said insurance companies don't do that) and the other person said I would have to sell it right away and I had only purchased the car about 6 months earlier and put around 1-2K miles on the car. I didn't want to sell at that point and try to find a replacement as I was very happy with the car and the fix was excellent (and I can be very picky when something is damaged and I have it repaired). Usually I always find something to be unhappy with but I had no complaints at all.
I wasn't sure if this was going to show up on CarFax or not and found out it does when I went to trade it in the other week. They never asked me if it was in an accident but regardless I can't lie about that or hide that fact. I do have the pics of the damage and the estimate. I cannot find the final bill but I do need to get a copy of it. The dealer did have a wholesaler come out to look at the car and offered more than the dealer did. He asked who did the work and said they did an excellent job and that he couldn't tell even by touching the car and looking closely. I didn't take the offer as I was given one day to decide and I hadn't heard back from the insurance company and figured they would want to see the car to evaluate it. I was/am holding out to hopefully get the diminished value from the insurance company. I am suppose to hear from them tomorrow. We shall see what they say. I don't have a high expectation as I am sure they don't want to pay anything I imagine. One can hope it will be a reasonable offer.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:52 PM
2012CyberGrayGS
Instructor

Originally Posted by See5see6
That "repair" wouldn't bother me one bit. I'd be happy to pay a fair price for the car.
Originally Posted by HBsurfer
If it was just cosmetic and you could not see where the repair was made, it would not bother me at all

This is what I would hope for as it was just cosmetic and as someone else posted that a lot of brand new cars from the dealerships have work done to them as they get damaged from transporting. If you drive your car it is going to most likely get some sort of damage from road debris. Usually a rock chip here or there. It happens. Like others have said, it all depends on what they are buying it for.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:54 PM
2012CyberGrayGS
Instructor

Originally Posted by bobeast
Short answer is "as little as the seller will take". Really, though if it was repaired well, I wouldn't shy away from it, but I would definitely use it as a negotiation tool.
That's what I told the guy who hit me. Some people wouldn't even look at it and others it may not bother but I am pretty sure that they would use it as a negotiation tool.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:01 PM
2012CyberGrayGS
Instructor

Originally Posted by PuckDracon
The accident on the report will state damage in terms of MINOR, MODERATE, MAJOR, and also mention if it had to be towed away. If it really was listed as Minor, with the pics to back it up, expecting more than a ~$1k drop or so is a bit silly and that's only because no matter how minor it was, it still shows as a 1 accident vehicle once a claim is made.

Keep in mind these forums aren't indicative of your average vehicle owner so the opinions will be very different. I would not be trying to sell it on here, that's for sure . If someone offered me 20% less for my car because it had a 2mph bump with a couple hundred dollar spiderweb repair on the back bumper I would laugh in their face. 20-30% depreciation is what the going rate for salvage/rebuilt title cars are. It's a Chevy, not a Ferrari. A repainted rear bumper from a fender bender isn't going to drop the value $5k.

I bought and sold used cars for a couple years and went to auctions a few times with the buyers so I understand the market a bit better than a normal consumer who buys or sells a car every 5-10 years. Note that often even brand new cars with 0 miles can have paint work done to them or even swapped body panels. Many are damaged, scratched, or bumped during transport to the dealership or while they are on the lot with kids and teens running through them and opening doors into the car next to them. Do you think they discount them? Heck no. They get their paint work done on site and are right back on the lot...it is MUCH easier to blend and hide body work on a brand new car that hasn't faded or gotten and paint damage yet so 99% of people would never even notice.
There aren't any details on the CarFax, just that it was in an accident. Some of the places I have taken it to for an estimate (places that sell a lot of Vettes and cars of like nature) all said that unfortunately CarFax doesn't give enough information and I agree as both a seller and a buyer. Depending on the damage I would entertain purchasing a vehicle that was in an accident but I would want/need to know the details of the accident and it would depend on what the vehicle was for. There is just not enough information. They all told me too that people usually just pass over it and don't bother and that I should sell it myself as just talking to me and seeing the pics they wouldn't have a problem with the car but so many people shop online and would just pass it by without investigating.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:18 PM
2012CyberGrayGS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
More like out of your mind. So you want a $17,000-$20,000 grand discount on a $35 grand car because it had a scratch and a bumper repaint. Keep dreaming.
Originally Posted by Oh Boy
Yes it was clearly written. You said it would have to be a 50-75% discount. So that means you would be buying. And in that case again keep dreaming.
That is a drastic amount off and that there would be a tremendous deal for a buyer. How could you not pass that up. It would make for a great track car. Is that extremely low, yes, however that is what the car would be worth to Kenny94945. Does that mean that is all the car is worth, no, just to him. I don't see anything wrong with that. I am not upset about that. That is just the reality of the situation when you have a car like a Vette or some other high line car. There are people out there that don't want to bother with it. They feel there are too many out other cars out there without a history. There are some things that no matter the price, I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't what I wanted because if it doesn't fit my needs or wants some times a great price doesn't make it a great deal.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:33 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

What I'd do in your case is drive the crap out of it, put 100k miles on it, and never worry about it again. That damage wont matter with a bunch of miles on it.
The following users liked this post:
reasonable suspicion (09-21-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 08:36 PM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

I'll add another comment I didn't think of in my previous post. My wife had a TSX years ago and when in for service at the dealer and they closed a garage door on the roof. they fixed it of course and looked good as new - but now it had a record. They did Cover the service for free (~$500) and I believe a few more oil changes to cover diminished value. We kept it until it was a $5k car and didn't matter. But the idea of diminished value is real.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:56 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

In Michigan you can’t get diminished value payment after an accident. Hope it’s nothing I ever have to deal with. Hope it works out for you.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:30 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

^ To go along with the highest rates in the country. Awesome...
Old 09-21-2018, 11:18 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

OP...how did you find out the details on what happened? a carfax will not give you any info other than it was in an accident, and location of damage. Who told you what and how?
Old 09-21-2018, 11:48 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
OP...how did you find out the details on what happened?
See post #24.

Quick Reply: How much less would you pay....?