C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Column Lock Error but no drivability/starting issues

Old 09-21-2018, 10:19 AM
REDSEE5
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Service Column Lock Error but no drivability/starting issues

I know this question has been beaten into the ground and there are several threads on it. However, I cant find any posts similar to what is happening in my Vette (05.) I get the "Service Column Lock" error MULTIPLE times while driving. It has never once failed to start or given me any issues, its just that annoying message that pops up repeatedly after I keep hitting "Reset." Its been doing it since the beginning of summer and its honestly insanely annoying. Any tips?

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2018, 06:19 PM
REDSEE5
Burning Brakes

TTT.....Anyone?
Old 09-25-2018, 12:17 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,002 Likes on 2,166 Posts

Problem in the SCLM or steering lock or elimitor, with it not holding the 294ohm resitance from the signal wires of the lock in the unlock position, or the BCM not receiving that signal again from the SCLM after start up instead.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:51 AM
REDSEE5
Burning Brakes

Thank you! Any clue what the fix is?
Old 09-25-2018, 01:27 PM
tjs121
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had my 2005, I had two serious problems related to the steering column lock.

1. My car got stuck in a parking garage for two weeks. The cause of this was a bad connection on the body control module. One of the plugs that connects to the body control module (located under the carpet in the passenger floorboard, you can just pull it back to reveal) had a **** poor connection and would intermittently get a signal. One day, I drove to work and came out to find the "service column lock" message on the DIC. It was a Saturday luckily so I called roadside assistance and they couldn't figure it out. Long story short, Chevy dealership wouldn't come diagnose it in the garage and the garage was too tight to have it towed. I got roadside assistance back out there and we played around with the connections for three hours. We noticed that when we moved the plug into a certain position, we could hear clicking of solenoids somewhere in the dash and that allowed me to start it. Got home, kept the car running and installed the SCL eliminator.

2. The steering column lock motor almost burned out completely in a shopping center. The cause of this was the motor and plastic gears used to control the column lock pin. One winter night, I went into a store and came back out to my car and turned it on. The steering column lock motor made a horribly slow groaning noise like it was on it's last leg but somehow managed to move the pin enough to start the car. I got home and the next morning, the motor would just click and the "service column lock" message came back up. Had it towed to Tony's Corvette in Gaithersburg, MD and he removed I believe the plate that goes on the steering column and the pin, leaving the motor intact. If I remember correctly, he told me the reason for this being the fix vs reinstalling the SCL eliminator was to keep the original intent of the system intact (without having to fool the computer with the SCL eliminator) but removing the wear and resistance pieces so that the motor wouldn't burn out.

These two situations don't sound like they're related to you but you should consider the fix in #2 above. The SCL is absolute hell to deal with and why they removed it for 06+

Get notified of new replies

To Service Column Lock Error but no drivability/starting issues

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Column Lock Error but no drivability/starting issues