C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Tach/ Knock sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 12:36 PM
Apgraphics
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Tach/ Knock sensor

Hey, so I bought my first Vette about 2 months ago Haven't driven it a ton yet, but I've been having an issue and I'm hoping someone has heard of it before:

06Z 7.0l

When starting back up (after warm) sometimes it has real trouble starting as if the battery is dead. Then it will kick over, and instantly feels like there is a misfire and I have no tachometer. The first time it happened I limped it back to my office, still ran just felt like a misfire or something. I shut it down, let it sit for a minute, and when I started it back up I had the tach back and a light came on. Few days of it sitting in the garage I started it back up, everything was fine, no light, could recreated the problem. I got it inspected the following week and mentioned the problem. They said the code history showed a mass air flow as well as a knock sensor. They mentioned it could have been some bad gas to throw the knock sensor. However the tach losing all movement is weird. They cleared the codes, everything has been fine with it since this one hiccup, until last night when I got gas. Started it up (been driving for 20 min prior) and had this issue again.

I think its a fuel issue, maybe plugs are soaked or something? Previous owner said when I bought the car the only starting issue he ever had was that the starter was getting too hot, so they had built a shield around it. Apparently this is common on these cars? IF someone could confirm that, that would help too. Thanks, any input would help!
Old 01-12-2021, 02:24 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 334 Posts

I would like to revisit this thread as I am experiencing the same problem as described above. Does anyone know what is causing this problem. Seems very weird to me. All help or comments appreciated.

Thanks
Jay
Old 01-12-2021, 07:31 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Check your plug and injector wires

Clif
Old 01-13-2021, 05:49 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by z06clif
Check your plug and injector wires

Clif
Plug and injector wires are all good.

I charged the battery and started the car and all seems to be ok again. I cannot believe that this could be related to a low battery. Charger is off now so I will see what happens next time I start it.

Thanks
Jay
Old 01-13-2021, 06:44 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

These cars get whacky when the battery is low or bad. Did you have to reindex your windows?In the future keep a battery tender on the battery when not in use. A TENDER......not a charger

Clif
Old 01-13-2021, 11:40 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by z06clif
These cars get whacky when the battery is low or bad. Did you have to reindex your windows?In the future keep a battery tender on the battery when not in use. A TENDER......not a charger

Clif
No I did not have to reindex the windows nor did I disconnect the battery. I just put the charger on it. The car gets very limited use so I guess I will have to pick up a tender.

Thanks
Jay
Old 01-14-2021, 12:45 PM
backlater
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

The Tach usually needs the input from the cam or crank sensor to work, Misfires are also related to a bad or intermittent signal.

Get notified of new replies

To No Tach/ Knock sensor

Quick Reply: No Tach/ Knock sensor