C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All those with aldan American coilovers

Old 09-21-2018, 08:45 PM
SteveSierra
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default All those with aldan American coilovers

just wondering if you can share your measurements and pictures please.
Ive installed mine and have them on the max height setting but still sitting very low.
Surely this can’t be right and I’m compromising rude qualityhavi g them set on max. Do my shocks or springs look too short compared to yours.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:34 AM
theblues19
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any more pics. This was gonna be my winter project. Dont think I'd be able to out my garage being that low lol
Old 09-22-2018, 11:51 AM
UH-60DRIVER
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 47 Posts

Looks like the threads on the spring cup are all the way up but the threads in the mount can be extended. Not sure if I'm painting a clear picture.Name:  photo317.jpg
Views: 2959
Size:  846.0 KB

Last edited by UH-60DRIVER; 09-22-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:56 AM
SteveSierra
Racer

After speaking to Aldan they said that section shouldn’t be adjusted
Old 09-22-2018, 11:19 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

Steve I have the same setup that you do 500/550 springs. My car is currently on jack stands with all the Aldan's installed, I looked and I have the same coils that you do - when you ordered them did you get the standard length or the short ones that people order to lower their car. I specifically told TPS that I wanted my car back at ~ OEM ride height that I am ready to raise it back up, it has been slammed low with special jacking bolts on the leafs.........anyway, tomorrow now that I have seen your post, I will throw my wheels back on it and put it on the ground and get back to you with some pictures. I have all mine adjusted with 1/4" pre-load on each corner.

I am sure hoping not to have the same problem, my issue was with the pre-load on the front sway bar - I am waiting on new end links and some new brake rotors but I will drop it on the ground tomorrow and let you know how it sits and if I can adjust it to height I asked for when ordering these AAs.

Last edited by BMF_C6; 09-22-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:11 PM
SteveSierra
Racer

Hi it will be interesting to see how they fit for you.
They told me that all the c6 kits are the same now, they used to offer a shorter shock body for the front as people used to say it didn’t go low enough but now it’s just that shorter one that they do.

I clearly need to swap out either for longer shock bodies, longer springs or both.
Min a bit concerned that if I co for longer springs then they are not design for this shock length.
The garage where my car currently is is a bit concerned that there is not enough travel in the bodies that I currently have.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:16 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Ok Steve here is my report from yesterday -
Front Tires - PSS 265/35/R18 @ 30 psi
Rear Tires - PSS 345/30/R19 @ 30 psi
Initial Aldan Pre-Load set @ 1/4"

NOTE: Front & Rear Sway Bar End Links Disconnected

Started by throwing the rotor & tires on the car and dropping it on the ground - the initial ride height was low with the 1/4" pre-load on the springs (sorry left my initial notes at home) - began adjusting the ride height, measuring from the ground to the fender well at the center of each of the rims as the go by. Adjusted each coil over independently to match the ride height from side to side so the car is level using the measurements at the fender wells

While going through this, it took several visits back and forth getting the height and the sides level - as you can see some took a lot more adjustment than others. I also started thinking that the sway bars are not connected - everyone says that the bars should be set neutral - so after this adjustment my plan is to fill the tank and set my end links so the bolts go in easily with the car on the ground.

Do you think that your sway bars are keeping your car from adjusting higher? Do you think the end links have a ton of pre-load on them by adjusting the springs upward against the body and not letting it raise???? Just a thought I had yesterday - I think everyone adjusts with the sways connected - I couldn't cause I had no links (on order) but this is just a question I had in my head because they say to set the links neutral which means after everything is adjusted in my head but that may not be correct - hopefully someone with chime in........

FRONT FINAL ADJUSTMENT @ Ride Height = 25 1/2"
  • Drivers Side
    • Beginning of threads to bottom nut measurement = 1 1/2"
  • Passenger Side
    • Beginning of threads to bottom nut measurement = 1 5/8"
Front Drivers Side:

Front Drivers Side Ride Height

Front Driver Side 1 1/2" Thread to Nut

Drivers Side View after adjustment

Front Passenger Side:

Front Passenger Ride Height 25 1/2"

Front Passenger Side Thread to Nut Measurement 1 5/8"

Front Passenger Side View

REAR FINAL ADJUSTMENT @ Ride Height = Driver's Side - 27 7/16" Passenger Side - 27 3/8" (for some reason the drivers side did not need much adjustment and the passenger side was adjusted by adding pre-load to match the ride height of the drivers side)
  • Drivers Side
    • Beginning of threads to bottom nut measurement = 2 5/16"
  • Passenger Side
    • Beginning of threads to bottom nut measurement = 2 3/4"
Rear Drivers Side:

Rear Drivers Side Ride Height 27 7/16" (I hate that rock ding in the fender well, this was my son's daily driver for years that I took over from him)

Rear Drivers Side Thread to Nut Measurement 2 5/16"

Rear Drivers Side View

Rear Passenger Side:

Rear Passenger Side Ride Height 27 3/8"

Rear Passenger Side Thread to Nut Measurement 2 3/4"

Rear Passenger Side View

Last edited by BMF_C6; 09-24-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:20 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Old 09-24-2018, 02:24 PM
SteveSierra
Racer

Thanks for the update, looks great.
Something definately isn’t right with mine as if you look at the amount of threads compared to ride height at the rear mine sits loads lower and is wound up more.
I wonder if they’ve sent me something incorrect.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:35 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Steve - what do you think about the sway bar keeping you from adjusting the body upward? I am no suspension expert but I am wondering if the springs are pushing against the sway and putting the sway under tension. All these pictures are with my sways disconnected.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:01 PM
SteveSierra
Racer

The springs definately touched the sway bar and I had to grind a bit off the sway bar.
It is also as you say extremely difficult to adjust while on the car. Very annoying but I imagine this is due to the cars not originally being designed for coilovers.
The most frustrating part for me is that I took some time before choosing a brand to go with as I’m over in the U.K. and can get very expensive to ship things over. I’m sure Garrett from aldan American will make things right as he has been helpful so far.

Im still confused how you managed higher ride height on a lower setting
Old 09-24-2018, 03:11 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Steve - try disconnecting all of the end links and letting the coil over springs raise the body of the car without being connected to the lower control A arm. I am thinking that maybe the body of the car is being pushed up by the coil over but is locked in place because the sway bars are bolted to the frame and to the lower control A arms via the end links. Thus the coil over springs can only compress but all their tension is on the sway bars and the end links.

I have been told that the sway bar end links should be set neutral - meaning that once everything is adjusted and with a full tank of gas and driver in the seat - the sway bar end link bolts should easily be installed and the end links have no pre-load tension.

Like I said, I am not a suspension expert by no means but it makes sense if you are compressing the coil over springs and it is not lifting the car then something is keeping that force from functioning and the only link (no pun intended) between the frame/control arm/coil over is the end links & the bars.

Last edited by BMF_C6; 09-25-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:54 PM
DAMCars
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey guys. I've been frustruated with adjustments and excessive suspension noise since installing my Aldan's about 4-5 months ago. I have a Z51 car running 34 psi up front and my ride height is 25 5/8" driver and 25 6/8" passenger. I am at a full 2" of preload on both sides - see picture. I have messed with these over and over trying to locate suspension knock/rattle. I know you didn't cite that specific issue, but I'm curious if you've experienced it as well. Lastly I'm curious how you assembled the bushings at the top of your front coilovers? See my second picture for that. I've often wondered if I have it wrong but haven't been able to confirm.

Front preload.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:06 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Here are some pictures of mine - I just drove it for the first time today after modifying the sway bar end tabs and installing the Whiteline end links. I set all the end links neutral by using ramps in the front and some of my leveling blocks for my RV for the rear.My initial thoughts was how solid the ride felt.

I put it back on the jack stands to finish up some of the other projects I have going and yanked the wheels and took some pictures - my setup looks close to yours, I did make sure that the small round titty of the bushing was fitted into the mounting hole before running the nut down with an impact.....I tried to bet the nuts and stem in the picture so you could compare the length to yours. I drove it around for a bit and didn't hear any suspension noises but I haven't put any real miles on it yet.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:21 PM
DAMCars
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Looks like your using double nuts on top of the strut. You also have an impressive amount of clearance between the springs and sway bar, mine is much tighter.

Perhaps I'm getting movement by only using 1 nut on both sides. I'm also running Moog links so maybe I'll pickup some fesh stockers to see if that helps. The audible clanks and knocks when travelling over bumps or pulling into parking spaces is getting old.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:34 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Originally Posted by DAMCars
Thanks for sharing. Looks like your using double nuts on top of the strut. You also have an impressive amount of clearance between the springs and sway bar, mine is much tighter.

Perhaps I'm getting movement by only using 1 nut on both sides. I'm also running Moog links so maybe I'll pickup some fesh stockers to see if that helps. The audible clanks and knocks when travelling over bumps or pulling into parking spaces is getting old.
The sways are Steinjager's and when I started looking at installing the Whiteline end links last night I realized that the end link studs were long, I had already ground the end tabs because it would have hit the springs. I just decided to cut the original sway bar tabs and moved the hole down ~ 1" so I could make some clearance. Others said not to cut it on here but I said screw it, the mod made the end links fit perfectly and I have good clearance. If moving the hole an 1' makes a big deal then I will buy another sway bar but I don't see how it could make that big of a deal moving the hole.

I used my impact to tighten the crap out of the first nut and the coil overs came with the second lock nut which is just to make sure the nut doesn't loosen.

Here is the pics of the sway tabs with the first grind before I modified it last night.......

Last edited by BMF_C6; 09-29-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:39 PM
SteveSierra
Racer

I wanted to bring this back to life as I’ve finally managed to start working on the car again.
So ive now installed an inch longer bottom mount that aldan sent me and set the ride.
Does this seem right to everyone?
both rears set exactly the same yet one spring is compressed a lot more than the other.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:37 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

That 6” spring looks mighty short. You’re not gonna get full travel of the suspension before it coil binds. What length spring is in the top photo?

For reference, the rear spring on my Vikings are 8”.

Get notified of new replies

To All those with aldan American coilovers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All those with aldan American coilovers