C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drops of oil on ground towards rear end

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 12:18 AM
Mike1977
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drops of oil on ground towards rear end

Hello I am a first owner here and have a built 2007 Z06 that I bought just last week. I've noticed there's a few drops of what looks like motor oil towards the rear of the car on the floor when I go to back her out. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on this? And also it feels like motor oil and cant really smell much. Also if someone can tell me how to change tracks on the cd player that would be awesome too lol. Any info would be much appreciated thanks ! Also it looks to be about where the trunk area begins just before the rear tires. Thought id add that part!
Old 09-22-2018, 03:08 AM
Gator6977
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Depending on your familiarity with vehicles, I would jack it up, climb under it and start inspecting the rear differential housing, assuming it's coming from the center. If it's closer to one side or the other, I would inspect the shafts. If it is closer to one side, put some plastic down to better look at the fluid leaking. If it's thick, 80/90, it will be from the rear diff. If it's thin, check your brakes. Might be an open or leaky bleeder, might be something more. Either way, I'd get it checked asap! Neither item running dry is a good thing and both can prove very expensive!
Old 09-22-2018, 07:16 AM
Mike1977
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Gator6977
Depending on your familiarity with vehicles, I would jack it up, climb under it and start inspecting the rear differential housing, assuming it's coming from the center. If it's closer to one side or the other, I would inspect the shafts. If it is closer to one side, put some plastic down to better look at the fluid leaking. If it's thick, 80/90, it will be from the rear diff. If it's thin, check your brakes. Might be an open or leaky bleeder, might be something more. Either way, I'd get it checked asap! Neither item running dry is a good thing and both can prove very expensive!
Yea I should have said its more in the center of the car. And it's not brake fluid for sure and it doesn't feel like gear oil. It really does look like motor oil. I have to get a low profile jack since the damn thing is so low but when I go to jack it up do I need to pop the doors and hood and hatch? Someone told me any time you lift these you have to make sure nothing is latched ? Is that true ?
Old 09-22-2018, 07:28 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

I just had a rear seal replaced last year on my 05 with 30,000 miles. You could see where it had "blown" all over the rear end of the car. It cost about $500.00 to fix.

Good luck.

Last edited by Jimmy W1; 09-22-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:25 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Sounds like an oil pan gasket had mine replaced on my 2010 GS 2 years ago just left a few drops on the floor especially after winter storage it was covered under my warranty I paid $100 deductible but the job cost roughly $800.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:01 AM
Mike1977
Heel & Toe

Old 09-23-2018, 12:03 AM
Mike1977
Heel & Toe

So This is what I found when I finally got it in the air. not much oil anywhere else and very little misted on the tranny. So based off the pic how terminal is this lol ?
Old 09-23-2018, 12:44 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,007 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Color of the fluid tells a lot. The trans used Red fluid, while the diff used oil color fluid that turns black from the LDS clutch dust instead.

So trans and diff bolt up like this,

And since we can see the the oil color is clear/black, without a red tint to it, then the fluid is from the diff.

And the seal between the two is the outer black band on the trans side (plus gasket seal) that holds the diff oil on the front of the diff to back of trans.

So outer black o ring type band (and gasket) fails and you get black diff fluid leak leaking out from the connection point of the two, and if the inner output seal fails, then you get Red fluid leaking from the two instead,

With luck, , just an output shaft seal on the diff side that is leaking which can be replaced with out having to drop the differ (so long as the problem is not a work out bearing that caused the output shaft seal to fail). But if the seal from the trans to diff, the diff needs to be pulled from the trans, so you can replace the outer seal on the trans isntead.

Last edited by Dano523; 09-23-2018 at 12:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike1977 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 08:38 PM
Mike1977
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Dano523
Color of the fluid tells a lot. The trans used Red fluid, while the diff used oil color fluid that turns black from the LDS clutch dust instead.
https://youtu.be/6Ghbo1VryZU

So trans and diff bolt up like this,

And since we can see the the oil color is clear/black, without a red tint to it, then the fluid is from the diff.

And the seal between the two is the outer black band on the trans side (plus gasket seal) that holds the diff oil on the front of the diff to back of trans.

So outer black o ring type band (and gasket) fails and you get black diff fluid leak leaking out from the connection point of the two, and if the inner output seal fails, then you get Red fluid leaking from the two instead,

With luck, , just an output shaft seal on the diff side that is leaking which can be replaced with out having to drop the differ (so long as the problem is not a work out bearing that caused the output shaft seal to fail). But if the seal from the trans to diff, the diff needs to be pulled from the trans, so you can replace the outer seal on the trans isntead.
Wow you totally just really explained everything perfectly ! I never knew how this car is set up and now it makes sense what your saying. But what type of Diff oil does this take cause it feels kinda thin on my finger tips? And thank you so much for the in depth reply man much appreciated and I saved them pics also ! I owe ya one lol !! Thanks again really appreciate it !
Old 09-24-2018, 11:28 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Use on this on the C6 diff for lube, and already contains the correct amount of LDS slip additive from the start.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...2fcc4623c8.jpg

The original diff lube on the 2005 cars was causing problem with the LDS clutches making too much noise since it was a touch too thick, and if you use something like Red line, it too slick and ends up with ped leg burn outs since it lowers the LDS clutches from their normal 100ftlbs break-away values isntead.

Hence LSD clutch packs look like before, so the lube as to be just thin enough to allow it to pushed out and clear the disc when they clutches go to lock up, and not too slick when the fluid is cleared between the discs to not allow the pack to lock up isntead.
Also, since the discs will wear and cause clutch dust, it very important that the fluid can be flushed out when it goes to lock up to take the dust with it, and that the fluid is not dissolving the disc material off the discs as well.

Last edited by Dano523; 09-24-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Mike1977 (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:21 PM
Mike1977
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Dano523
Use on this on the C6 diff for lube, and already contains the correct amount of LDS slip additive from the start.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...2fcc4623c8.jpg

The original diff lube on the 2005 cars was causing problem with the LDS clutches making too much noise since it was a touch too thick, and if you use something like Red line, it too slick and ends up with ped leg burn outs since it lowers the LDS clutches from their normal 100ftlbs break-away values isntead.

Hence LSD clutch packs look like before, so the lube as to be just thin enough to allow it to pushed out and clear the disc when they clutches go to lock up, and not too slick when the fluid is cleared between the discs to not allow the pack to lock up isntead.
Also, since the discs will wear and cause clutch dust, it very important that the fluid can be flushed out when it goes to lock up to take the dust with it, and that the fluid is not dissolving the disc material off the discs as well.

Man again thanks for all the helpful info and pics< I definatley saved them ! And also how much fluid does that diff take ? Is it like the old standard rear end where you just add oil till it starts coming out the oil fill plug ?
Old 09-25-2018, 11:49 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike1977
Man again thanks for all the helpful info and pics< I definatley saved them ! And also how much fluid does that diff take ? Is it like the old standard rear end where you just add oil till it starts coming out the oil fill plug ?
Yes fill to the bottom of the fill port until the fluid starts to dribble out, then put the plug back in. I takes take just under 3 quarts of fluid if the diff has a cooler that is being drained as well. If no cooler, then take just a touch over 2 quarts if you don't end up spilling any fluid as your filling the diff via tube method instead, but by 3 quarts as well.

https://www.southerncarparts.com/cor...nge-pm-43.html
Old 09-26-2018, 08:40 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Could be oil pan seepage....also to change tracks on the cd just hit the select button on the lower left hand corner....thats what I do on mine...unless you have steering wheel controls.....then the select switch is there. Im pretty sure the Z06 has voice commands also....but its primative

Clif
Old 11-08-2018, 11:48 PM
Mike1977
Heel & Toe

Well I just wanted to share with everyone that I located the cause of my oil leak and I'll say I was pretty relieved when I saw where it was leaking from lol, Whoever did the motor work must have broke the PCV fresh air tube and just slipped a piece of hose in between the break. So with no hose clamps on it it started to seep oil and was collecting on the intake and then running down below and wind was carrying it as a mist and collecting on my diff and tranny forming lil drops. Just put a band aid on it for now to make sure that's what it was but as of now there's no leaks under the car !! Finally I catch a break lol. But I did notice my oil pressure is now hitting 70lbs when I'm into the throttle and when I let off it creeps to 80 for a few seconds and then comes down. Is this normal pressure or not ?
Old 11-09-2018, 10:17 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Hope that is all it was. Just a note of caution...if that is an example of the quality of the "build", I would keep a close eye on everything for awhile. Let folks here know what you are finding if you find anything strange.
Mike1977 (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 01:29 AM
Mike1977
Heel & Toe

Well so far that's the only thing I saw broken, But I did see the bleeder line for the clutch slave cylinder was just laying right next to the header and I zip tied it out of the way. The guy I bought it from was from FL and Lashway Motorsports did the build so note to everyone down south about that ! But is that oil pressure ok though ? 70LBS and then 80 when I let off the throttle ? This is my first Vette and LS motor so not sure what they are supposed to run on the regular. And also the stock line routing for that runs across the intake and back into the drivers side head. But they have that fitting capped and the T fitting was capped as well. So didn't know if that might cause the oil pressure to increase cause before I found this it never went above 60ish !!

Get notified of new replies

To Drops of oil on ground towards rear end

Quick Reply: Drops of oil on ground towards rear end