C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Number on key fob is missing

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 09:56 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^
Gosh, if "0" is included and someone has a 4 that is 5 unique cavities in the mold or die for the removable key (before it's cut!) Then ha is 5 factorial/2 = 5!/2 = 60 unique combinations!

Again if that is what they reflect, i.e. mold/die cavities it still has nothing to do with FOB 1 or 2!
Jerry, this is about a C6 fob where the numbers did mean something (from the factory), not the C7 fob where the numbers never meant anything whatsoever. Talking about what numbers appeared in the C7 key base is not useful to the discussion, and adds a level of confusion.

C6 keys have no numbers in them. They have no "cavities" like the C7 key does.

Last edited by owc6; 09-24-2018 at 10:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HOXXOH (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 03:12 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by owc6
Jerry, this is about a C6 fob where the numbers did mean something (from the factory), not the C7 fob where the numbers never meant anything whatsoever. Talking about what numbers appeared in the C7 key base is not useful to the discussion, and adds a level of confusion.

Yeah I was confused, so thanks.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:33 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6

I initially assumed the #6 was a typo and was incorrect when he posted here or the Thread it would have been moved to the C6 location!

If you look thorough the posts some of us are talking about the C7! That is why some say they have no numbers etc. I am responding to them. Lisa, I know you have been taking about the C6 which is what the OP apparently rightfully asked but it's also adding to a level of confusion!

I assume any new C7 owner, beit a 2019 or someone buying a used C7 could have this question as to the numbers in their FOB and can get confused. Took ~6 months after the C7 was introduced to convince the 25% of the folks who had numbers 1 & 2 they meant nothing and that the rest of us (like me having two 2's) did not know what we were talking about! My reason for continuing!

In addition as the Poster conjectured in 2013 re C7 FOB's, it's fun to define the number of permutations if in fact that original 2 cavity mold or die is now 4 or 5 cavities!

Just have to read between the posts and pic the one that fits! I did go through the history of the C7 FOB issue in post #11.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-25-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:08 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,779 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Tom

thanks.
the dealership was trying to avoid programming two fobs. I bought the car with one. They had to buy a new fob because the prior owner lost the second fob
thanks for your help
The most likely scenario is that the previous owner lost the #2 fob, and you have #1. By this, I mean 'program-order' or 'logical' fobs, not whatever number may or may not be stamped on the case. 1 & 2 are the only fobs that can have driver preferences stored, so when you end up with the two fobs that you should have, make sure the dealer programs both of them. If the dealer just adds in the new key using the short procedure, it will end up as (logica) #3, assuming there never was a 3rd key programmed. If there was a 3rd key programmed, you'll end up with #4. If in the remote case there were 4 fobs programmed, then both of the fobs you end up would need to be programmed for sure.

Quick Reply: Number on key fob is missing