C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help ordering f55 from rock auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 11:54 AM
Dman302
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Need help ordering f55 from rock auto

From what I can see they show this item in stock, is there any reason to believe they wouldn’t have it? Is anyone here dealt with them and what are your thoughts? 05 f55 rear right mag shock.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/cart/

Last edited by Dman302; 09-22-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:38 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Bought a lot from rockauto. Never had a problem.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:39 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

many of us use RA. They are the best, imo. If they have it, and you need it, buy it!
Old 09-23-2018, 02:10 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Dman302
From what I can see they show this item in stock, is there any reason to believe they wouldn’t have it? Is anyone here dealt with them and what are your thoughts? 05 f55 rear right mag shock.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/cart/
Lets back up and why do you think that you need a new MRC shock in the first place.

If someone told you it was leaking and needed to be replace, then wipe the oil off the shock with a paper towel and put a refrigerator magnet to the it.
If the fluid is from the MRC shock, the magnet will stick to the towel.
Hence MRC shock fluid has iron partials in it, and this is how the shock controls the fluid in the shock.

I bring this ups since you may have fluid on shock to make it look like the shock is leaking, but bank that its not MRC fluid from the shock itself isntead.

Also, until you start the car to put power to the F55 module, the shocks will have a real soft give to them. Again, the shock dampening is controlled via the shock energizing it electromagnetic to slow the fluid down as it passes through the damper channels. Hence until you start the car, the F55 module is not powered up and the shocks will be softer than normal when the car is running isntead.

To add, somethings is not the shock the problem if not working correctly with the F55 module is powered up, but just a top shock electrical connect that is broken, just it needs to be replaced.

So before you order the new MRC shock, are you dam sure that the old shock itself has a problem to start with?

Last edited by Dano523; 09-23-2018 at 02:14 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:57 AM
Dman302
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I cleaned the shocks from Under the boot to bottom, 100 miles later my right rear has a drip line and is wet. Under the boot....wet, it’s leaking pretty fiercely. Others remain dry. I want to get my hands on the 05 shock As it has a different number than later years and may have an earlier end-of-life for production. I don’t know how much life is left in the shop now if it’s losing fluid at this rate
Old 09-23-2018, 08:29 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

As stated, what fluid that your wiping away from under the boot, make sure a magnet sticks to it, to make sure its the shock that is leaking in the first place.
Hence back end can sling a lot fluids, and you want to make sure that its MRC fluid (with iron particals in it from the shock that your seeing in the first place.

As for the MRC shocks for a 05, ac-delco 580-1060 the right rear, and ac-delco 580-1059 for the left rear.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/ac...+absorber,7556

Myself, for the cost that what each MRC shock costs alone, would just dump the F55 system and MRC shocks, and install either Blistein B6 or B9 shocks isntead. The F55 system is easy to program out of a BCM with a Tech II, and the Blistein shocks up with a better handling ride isntead. The B6 shocks are base car set up replacements, while the B8 shocks are as slighlty stiffer ride used on the Z51 option and Z06 cars isntead.

Hence the MRC shocks normal last about 100K, but if you have one that is giving up the ghost due to higher mileage, suspect another few to follower suit shortly after as well. Hence at $373 each, that $1500 for the set, and not really sure it worth the option on a base car to start with.

On the GS and above cars that start with a upgraded handling suspension package, the MRC/F55 system added to such really enhances that suspension system, but on the base suspension, it's more of just a softer ride in Tour setting, and most can not tell the difference in ride or handling in sports mode setting when the shock are slightly stiffer in dampening instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 09-23-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:47 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

If you buy from Rockauto, always seek out their current 5% off discount code. Enter 8955672981483357 in the "how did you hear about us" box.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:25 AM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Dano is right about everything, though I disagree about dumping the F55 system. It is an original option that not a lot of cars have, and I would retain it for that reason, UNLESS you have, or plan to, change out other original components, or plan to track your car often. F55 may not have much real-world value, but it is a sought-after option. If you have it, I would keep it.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:50 AM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
Dano is right about everything, though I disagree about dumping the F55 system. It is an original option that not a lot of cars have, and I would retain it for that reason, UNLESS you have, or plan to, change out other original components, or plan to track your car often. F55 may not have much real-world value, but it is a sought-after option. If you have it, I would keep it.
I have a 11 GS with F55 and i love it. I never track the car but when i want some very spirited driving i turn it on. Also on some really bumpy portions of I95 at hwy plus speeds it settles down all that oscillations softer setting causes. Albeit little harsher but not as much of up and down. With our tires costing $ 400 each and up and lasting 1/4 of the time of these shocks, when they go they will be replaced with same. I really like them, they transform the car, it us like having two suspension systems in one car. I am also very happy that they came way down in price, from $1000 each to present. 4k would have been a serious decision for the bilsteins. I am very glad i specified that option when i ordered the car back in 11.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:34 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
The reason F55 is a sought-after option is that it's superior to hydraulic shocks due to being able to instantly adjust compression and rebound based on road conditions. The expected life is 150K miles or more, since only the seals wear out and cause leaks. Being different than shocks that decline in ability starting on day one, replacement mag shocks can be installed individually vs in pairs.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help ordering f55 from rock auto

Quick Reply: Need help ordering f55 from rock auto