C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a Kenne Bell BAP using the Racetronix wire harness - Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 08:45 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Installing a Kenne Bell BAP using the Racetronix wire harness - Question

Question for you folks that have installed a Kenne Bell 'Boost-A-Pump' (BAP) in your C6 ...

I have read where the BAP can be installed back in the driver's side rear fender well area (close to the fuel pump), or up in the engine compartment next to the main fuse box.

I will also be using a Racetronix wire harness that is supposed to make the installation of the wiring for the BAP much easier ... basically 'plug and play'.

Anyway .... When using the Racetronix wire harness, would it be easier to mount the BAP up front in the engine bay vs mounting it in the rear ?

Thanks ...
Old 09-25-2018, 08:48 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

I mounted in the rear fender well. You can run the harness threaded through the door sill. It is hollow and you can fish through to the front fender well. I might have pics. I'll look.
The following users liked this post:
Turbo6TA (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 02:24 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Not a fan of BAP's, since it just runs the oem pump harder and burns it out much faster. Hence at some point, you will need to drop the tank to replace the burnt out OEM fuel pump, so better to just drop the tanks now, and install the need volume fuel pump instead.

As for install, pick up the fuel pump relay output wire at the engine fuse box for the secondary relay trigger wire, and run the Bap wires for the fuel pump all the way back to the fuel pump connector on the tank. Hence do not use the OEM fuel pump wire from the fuse box relay to the fuel pump to wire in the BAP to the tank, since it too small of a gauge, and you will melt the stock wiring harness and cause a fire.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:30 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Not a fan of BAP's, since it just runs the oem pump harder and burns it out much faster. Hence at some point, you will need to drop the tank to replace the burnt out OEM fuel pump, so better to just drop the tanks now, and install the need volume fuel pump instead.

As for install, pick up the fuel pump relay output wire at the engine fuse box for the secondary relay trigger wire, and run the Bap wires for the fuel pump all the way back to the fuel pump connector on the tank. Hence do not use the OEM fuel pump wire from the fuse box relay to the fuel pump to wire in the BAP to the tank, since it too small of a gauge, and you will melt the stock wiring harness and cause a fire.
Not a fan either, but makes for an interim solution prepping for the bigger step.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:28 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

A bap should not cause a problem when installed properly. With the racetronix harness mount it at the rear as there are connections for it there.. Make sure you order those with the harness, as they are optional.

http://www.racetronix.com/product/RX...-C5A-FPHW1.jpg

PS.. running a KB bap and racetonix harness for 5 or 6 years now with no issues at all.. It should only run under boost so it is not working the pump hard very often.

Last edited by realcanuk; 09-25-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:22 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I've been running a KB BAP for almost 15 years so blanket statements don't apply. I am getting ready to go over my 750 whp and will upgrade the fuel system.
Mikey965 (11-09-2023)
Old 09-25-2018, 04:24 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Not a fan of BAP's, since it just runs the oem pump harder and burns it out much faster.
I am not going to agree or disagree with you on this, but ...

The Kenne Bell BAP only increases the voltage to the OEM fuel pump in the tank when the supercharger boost increases to 3 PSI or greater.

At all other times (and that's 98% of your normal driving) ... the BAP sends NO increase of voltage to the fuel pump.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:45 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
I am not going to agree or disagree with you on this, but ...

The Kenne Bell BAP only increases the voltage to the OEM fuel pump in the tank when the supercharger boost increases to 3 PSI or greater.

At all other times (and that's 98% of your normal driving) ... the BAP sends NO increase of voltage to the fuel pump.
BAP kicks in at 3+ PSI or greater and increases voltage to 17.5. I also recommend to stay out of boost with less than 1/4 tank of fuel. Fuel helps cool the pump. I have been running a BAP with a Z06 fuel pump for years with no issues and the stock wiring. BAP has a built in voltage regulator that maintains pump voltage in case of voltage reduction or system overload.
Best way to mount BAP and splice wire behind rear wheel liner using "X" pattern, solder connection using rosin solder and rosin flux, no cold solder joints and never acid solder or acid flux. Then slide heat shrink tube over solder joint, heat gun to shrink , tape and zip tie. This will provide you with a strong connection free from oxidation and corrosion.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 09-25-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Turbo6TA (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 06:05 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
BAP kicks in at 3+ PSI or greater and increases voltage to 17.5. I also recommend to stay out of boost with less than 1/4 tank of fuel. Fuel helps cool the pump. I have been running a BAP with a Z06 fuel pump for years with no issues and the stock wiring. BAP has a built in voltage regulator that maintains pump voltage in case of voltage reduction or system overload.
Best way to mount BAP and splice wire behind rear wheel liner using "X" pattern, solder connection using rosin solder and rosin flux, no cold solder joints and never acid solder or acid flux. Then slide heat shrink tube over solder joint, heat gun to shrink , tape and zip tie. This will provide you with a strong connection free from oxidation and corrosion.
BAP wired directly through fuel pump relay under hood with no RaceTronix fuel harness?
Old 09-25-2018, 06:15 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by saplumr

BAP wired directly through fuel pump relay under hood with no RaceTronix fuel harness?
BAP splices at one 12v fuel pump behind driver's rear wheel liner. No wiring under the hood, only a hobbs valve to a vacuum source. RaceTronix fuel harness is optional.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 09-25-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:18 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
BAP splices at one 12v fuel pump behind driver's rear wheel liner. RaceTronix fuel harness is optional.
Risky stuff. Unknowingly my original installer had mine wired that way and it burned up my fuse/relay block. The RaceTronix harness is a fail safe damage protector.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:24 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

[QUOTE=saplumr;1598049967]

Risky stuff. Unknowingly my original installer had mine wired that way and it burned up my fuse/relay block. The RaceTronix harness is a fail safe damage protector.
[/QUOT

Not if done correctly. This is manufacturers recommendation, Kenne Bell and the way A&A corvette installed along with others.
BAP has it's own regulator and 40amp fuse. Nothing wrong with Racetronix for added safety.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 09-25-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:25 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Racetronix harness is the best mod for
Little money you can do. Don't be silly and skip it !!
Old 09-25-2018, 06:30 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=Mike's LS3;1598049992]
Originally Posted by saplumr

[/QUOT

Not if done correctly. This is manufacturers recommendation, Kenne Bell and the way A&A corvette installed along with others.
BAP has it's own 40amp fuse. Nothing wrong with Racetronix for added safety.
Good luck. You’re more than likely going to need it.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:47 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

I posted this over in the C6 Forced Induction forum, but this is relevant to this thread too.

Along with the BAP, I ordered the Racetronix "fuel pump wiring harness" (P/N: FPWH-008)

Now I have been told that I should order the Racetronix "pump booster interface connector set" (P/N: PBIC-001)
See Link: https://www.racetronix.biz/product.asp?ic=pbic-001

But I can only find this $8 part on the Racetronix website.

Then I looked at this ...

Holy **** ... The cheapest shipping option (UPS Ground) to Florida is more than double the price of the interface connector by itself !

Old 09-25-2018, 09:36 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Just keep good notes Ron, just in case OK
Bobby
Old 09-25-2018, 10:13 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
I posted this over in the C6 Forced Induction forum, but this is relevant to this thread too.

Along with the BAP, I ordered the Racetronix "fuel pump wiring harness" (P/N: FPWH-008)

Now I have been told that I should order the Racetronix "pump booster interface connector set" (P/N: PBIC-001)
See Link: https://www.racetronix.biz/product.asp?ic=pbic-001

But I can only find this $8 part on the Racetronix website.

Then I looked at this ...

Holy **** ... The cheapest shipping option (UPS Ground) to Florida is more than double the price of the interface connector by itself !

That sucks.... but you need it to do a clean job. Too bad you didn't order it with the harness.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:42 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Well, I purchased the Kenne Bell 'Boost-A-Pump' (BAP) and the Caspers Electronics fuel pump wire harness.

Since it's only activated when boost pressure gets to 3 PSI or above, this is supposed to not shorten the life of the in-tank OEM fuel pump.

Once the boost exceeds 3 PSI, the fuel pump voltage is increase from the normal 13.5 volts up to about 17 volts ... This increases the pump fuel flow from about 225 Liters per Hour on up to around 325 Liters per Hour, while still maintaining the normal 58 PSI (4 bar) of fuel pressure at the rail.

Pretty neat !

Name:  qglo3Ne.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  220.3 KB

Get notified of new replies

To Installing a Kenne Bell BAP using the Racetronix wire harness - Question

Quick Reply: Installing a Kenne Bell BAP using the Racetronix wire harness - Question