C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unlock Winding and Clicking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 07:18 AM
BurnoutFilms
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unlock Winding and Clicking Noise

Hey everyone,

I went to unlock the Z yesterday and there was a winding and clicking noise coming from the passenger door when I hit unlock. It sounds like those older vehicles’ wind up antennas when they get stuck, but much louder. Any ideas as to what this could be? Thanks in advance!

Old 09-28-2018, 11:03 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

RCDLR and BCM both have relays in them, so you get some relay clicking even when you touch the brake pedal. As the car/relays get older, the clicking does get a touch more louder.

As for just getting in the car, what every door you do go to open, will index the window down about an inch, so the door can open, and could be that one door is making a touch more noise when it indexes the window down isntead. As for actual door locks, there are none, and its more of an electronic feature of the BCM if the doors are going to unlock or not.

As for memory features of which Fob you use, it waits until you go to start the car, then will adjust the seats, mirrors, steering wheel to those that have been programmed to that fob. But there is easy exit for the seat if you have it turned on in the DIC that will move the seats back, then back to normal when you star the car, and each fob can be set up for such. Hence the first two fobs programmed into the RCDLR have memory features set up for them specifically, and if you left the car using Fob1, then returned using Fob 2, the car will adjust to the memory setting of Fob 2, like if easy exit was turned on for fob 2 only.

So normal on the relay clicking noise, and would suggest that you read the manual to set up DIC and memory option for both Fobs.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:03 AM
BurnoutFilms
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dano523
RCDLR and BCM both have relays in them, so you get some relay clicking even when you touch the brake pedal. As the car/relays get older, the clicking does get a touch more louder.

As for just getting in the car, what every door you do go to open, will index the window down about an inch, so the door can open, and could be that one door is making a touch more noise when it indexes the window down isntead. As for actual door locks, there are none, and its more of an electronic feature of the BCM if the doors are going to unlock or not.

As for memory features of which Fob you use, it waits until you go to start the car, then will adjust the seats, mirrors, steering wheel to those that have been programmed to that fob. But there is easy exit for the seat if you have it turned on in the DIC that will move the seats back, then back to normal when you star the car, and each fob can be set up for such. Hence the first two fobs programmed into the RCDLR have memory features set up for them specifically, and if you left the car using Fob1, then returned using Fob 2, the car will adjust to the memory setting of Fob 2, like if easy exit was turned on for fob 2 only.

So normal on the relay clicking noise, and would suggest that you read the manual to set up DIC and memory option for both Fobs.
Turns out that the settings on the FOB by the previous owner caused the mirrors to attempt to adjust to a ridiculous position. The clicking and winding noise was actually just the mirrors. Thanks everyone!
Old 10-06-2018, 02:58 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Whenever I open the driver's door my side view mirror resets to the position I put them in when I programmed the car for the driver 1 and that's the whirring noise I hear.

Get notified of new replies

To Unlock Winding and Clicking Noise

Quick Reply: Unlock Winding and Clicking Noise