C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fish bite???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 10:13 PM
vettev22
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beef97
Did you pull the throttle body off or spray it while it was running? How many miles on your throttle body since last cleaning?
it only has 60,000 miles and no I had the car shut off and took carburetor cleaner and sprayed it and cleaned it with a cloth
Old 10-05-2018, 10:33 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by vettev22

it only has 60,000 miles and no I had the car shut off and took carburetor cleaner and sprayed it and cleaned it with a cloth

Using throttle body cleaner didn't cross your mind? Instead you used a caustic product designed for 30+ year-old technology? Alrighty then....I hope it works out okay for you....

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 10-05-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:03 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Mine does this but it did not before I cammed it and since the few cars I've cammed all jerked a little at low speeds I've just accepted that it's the cam in this car as well.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:00 PM
vettev22
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Using throttle body cleaner didn't cross your mind? Instead you used a caustic product designed for 30+ year-old technology? Alrighty then....I hope it works out okay for you....
Actually they’re close to the same except carburetor cleaner cleans better but throttlebody leaves a coating to help keep future particles from sticking . guess you believe everything the government says too?
The following users liked this post:
iw172 (11-17-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 10:29 AM
maaxx
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi guys !

Same problem here. C6 2008, manual. Fos a year, the problem is like very light.....When i try to show it to the mechanic, it's not bad enough for him to notice it. But i do ! When reading this, i also notice that i tend to feel it more when it is cold. Also, ususally a lower steady speed, like 30 MPH let's say in fouth.

So, i did what was explained in here. Cleaned the MAF sensor, and throttlebody (wich was vey dirty BTW). Mechanic scanned it (nothing came out), and re-initiate some parameters.

Tried it yesterday night....Same thing. maybe a bit worse when cold, not better for sure.

Mechanic told me that it could improve along the next weks as it might adjust. Any other thoughts ?

Thx, very interesting to see some other having the exact same trouble, wich are not very bad, but i feel it for sure.

Marc
Old 10-14-2018, 10:39 AM
vettev22
Intermediate

Originally Posted by maaxx
Hi guys !

Same problem here. C6 2008, manual. Fos a year, the problem is like very light.....When i try to show it to the mechanic, it's not bad enough for him to notice it. But i do ! When reading this, i also notice that i tend to feel it more when it is cold. Also, ususally a lower steady speed, like 30 MPH let's say in fouth.

So, i did what was explained in here. Cleaned the MAF sensor, and throttlebody (wich was vey dirty BTW). Mechanic scanned it (nothing came out), and re-initiate some parameters.

Tried it yesterday night....Same thing. maybe a bit worse when cold, not better for sure.

Mechanic told me that it could improve along the next weks as it might adjust. Any other thoughts ?

Thx, very interesting to see some other having the exact same trouble, wich are not very bad, but i feel it for sure.

Marc

Did you have the mechanic do a relearn idle? as it gets dirtier that flap does not close all the way which lets a small amount of air in so you have to have it re-learn idle to go back to correct position. after that it helped mine quite a bit . also I didn’t know about the clutch fill reservoir and mine was practically empty so you may check that too .

Last edited by vettev22; 10-14-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:54 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Actually they’re close to the same except carburetor cleaner cleans better but throttlebody leaves a coating to help keep future particles from sticking . guess you believe everything the government says too?
My original point still stands.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:04 PM
maaxx
Instructor

Hi Vettev22,

yes, the mechanic also relearn the idle, thanx.

As for the fill clutch reservoir, first time i hear about this....will take a look for sure thank you. Will have to do a little research as i don't even know where it is.

Unless you can point me ?

Thx guys.

Marc
Old 10-14-2018, 02:21 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

...also I didn’t know about the clutch fill reservoir and mine was practically empty so you may check that too...
I'm gonna take a wild-assed guess here and suggest a practically empty clutch reservoir would not affect engine performance. Just me.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:26 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

...As for the fill clutch reservoir, first time i hear about this....will take a look for sure thank you. Will have to do a little research as i don't even know where it is.
You DO have a manual, right? Open the hood and looking into the engine bay it's gonna be one of those little black caps staring back at ya.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:21 PM
vettev22
Intermediate

Hi Vettev22,

yes, the mechanic also relearn the idle, thanx.

As for the fill clutch reservoir, first time i hear about this....will take a look for sure thank you. Will have to do a little research as i don't even know where it is.

Unless you can point me ?

Thx guys.

Marc

it should be right over by the brake fluid reservoir and windshield wiper fluid
Old 10-14-2018, 03:22 PM
vettev22
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ruxvette
I'm gonna take a wild-assed guess here and suggest a practically empty clutch reservoir would not affect engine performance. Just me.

Low clutch fluid can cause jerking.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:24 AM
maaxx
Instructor

Hello all,

i revived the thread to have new ideas about the problem.

I stored the car for the winter yesterday, but befor i did, this is what i did to try to resolve the problem. With the help of others here, i checked the clutch level, all good.

Cleaned the throttle ( was dirty )and the MAF sensor. Mechanic re-initiate the idle also. Was told it could take a couple days or weeks to adjust.

Well it didn't. Actually, it is now far worse than it used to be. The good side of this is that we are probably getting closer to the problem since after what we did, it got worse... Now it's litterally jerking. It was difficult to notice before.

Any new jdeas ? Is changing the MAF sensor something anyone of you did wit this kind of probem

Thx guys.

Marc
Old 11-16-2018, 09:31 AM
vettev22
Intermediate

Hello all,

i revived the thread to have new ideas about the problem.

I stored the car for the winter yesterday, but befor i did, this is what i did to try to resolve the problem. With the help of others here, i checked the clutch level, all good.

Cleaned the throttle ( was dirty )and the MAF sensor. Mechanic re-initiate the idle also. Was told it could take a couple days or weeks to adjust.

Well it didn't. Actually, it is now far worse than it used to be. The good side of this is that we are probably getting closer to the problem since after what we did, it got worse... Now it's litterally jerking. It was difficult to notice before.

Any new jdeas ? Is changing the MAF sensor something anyone of you did wit this kind of probem

Thx guys.

Marc
initially when I had it re-learn idle it did go away for a short bit then came back. I just recently put headers and at tune on and that seemed to help but I still slightly notice it . so unfortunately I have no fix yet. and yes I did replace my MAF with no change.

Last edited by vettev22; 11-16-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:01 PM
Dman302
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I change the rear fluid, and did clean up the clutch fluid… For me that did diminish the jerk response
Old 11-17-2018, 09:08 AM
maaxx
Instructor

Ok

Thx guys. Will try to change the clutch fluid next spring.

Will see from there. But, for sure what i did so far had to do with the problem since it got worse after some work.

Marc
Old 11-17-2018, 11:08 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Quick Reply: fish bite???