C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel senders

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 01:40 PM
50th year
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Default fuel senders

Does anyone know if there are separate fuel senders for each tank? Mine has gone bad. If I put gas in before it says half full it continues to work. If it falls below half it goofs up and falls to zero and stays there. If I fall below half I need to disconnect the battery and it seems to reset itself. The dealer wants a fortune to fix so I am trying to live with it for now.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:48 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

What year is your car? Your avatar is a C7, you've posted in C6, and your "about me" says you have a 2003.

Regardless, I'm fairly sure they all just have one fuel pump module/sender. As far as a diagnosis, I think some people have had success with fuel lever sending unit issues on C6's with using a shitload of Techron to get rid of the stickiness. Depending on miles, maybe yours is just worn out?

If you have a C6 that's less than 10 years old and 120k miles, you could try another dealer (since you've already shown your hand to the first) and see if you can scam a new pump by using a fuel smell concern, one of the symptoms of a bad module flange covered by the special coverage policy.

Last edited by 919cw313; 10-02-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:52 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I can't specifically answer your question but I can suggest this for what its worth. Buy a couple bottles of 20oz Techron Fuel System Cleaner. When you get down to a 1/4 of a tank, dump in the Techron and fill up with a top tier gas. Let the Techron work on your sending unit. The longer the better. It may or may not work. Guys have reported good results with the same problem your are experiencing. It is worth a try.

Last edited by Vet Interested; 10-02-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:58 PM
50th year
Burning Brakes

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Its a 2008. I traded my 2003 anny for the c7. I hated to trade my 03 but not enough room in the garage. It was a toss up as to trading the 03 or the 08. The 03 was m6 and the 08 was a6 and the wife cant do manual so I let her have the 08 and I use the c7. Happy wife happy life.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:59 PM
50th year
Burning Brakes

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
I can't specifically answer your question but I can suggest this for what its worth. Buy a couple bottles of 20oz Techron Fuel System Cleaner. When you get down to a 1/4 of a tank, dump in the Techron and fill up with a top tier gas. Let the Techron work on your sending unit. The longer the better. It may or may not work. Guys have reported good results with the same problem your are experiencing. It is worth a try.
Thanks it is worth a shot
Old 10-02-2018, 03:21 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 653 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by 50th year
Does anyone know if there are separate fuel senders for each tank? Mine has gone bad. If I put gas in before it says half full it continues to work. If it falls below half it goofs up and falls to zero and stays there. If I fall below half I need to disconnect the battery and it seems to reset itself. The dealer wants a fortune to fix so I am trying to live with it for now.
There are two level senders. One in either tank. Given your symptoms, your right sender is probably dirty and/or worn. Check the stored DTC code to confirm.

Techron concentrate may help, but often it won't. The repair is to replace the sender(s) and thereafter not to let the fuel level linger around 1/2 or below for more than a few days. There is evidence to suggest that leaving the right sensor un-immersed for extended periods hastens its demise.

The sensors are a hassle to replace. Most of your bill will be labor charges.
The following users liked this post:
50th year (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 05:00 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,110 Likes on 691 Posts

The right tank has a fuel sender attached to a venturi pump that sends fuel to the left tank.
The left tank has a sender attached to the electric pump that sends fuel to the engine.

When your car is half full of fuel, the right tank is empty and the left tank is full. The right sender is the one most likely to fail due to it being submerged in fuel less often than the left sender. Sulfur in fuel can leave deposits on the dry sender contacts causing it to fail to send signals to the BCM which controls the dash gauge.

You will probably get a DTC P2068 if the right sender is acting up. Techron added to fuel can help dissolve the sulphur deposits allowing the gauge to work again. Top Tier fuel has additives similar to Techron and is why GM recommends Top Tier suppliers. Techron does not always work as some failures are caused by the contacts on the sender breaking or otherwise not contacting properly.

Sender swaps are expensive because it is very labor intensive to drop the fuel tanks to get to them.
The following users liked this post:
50th year (10-02-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To fuel senders

Quick Reply: fuel senders