C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black out kit makes headlights too dim

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 03:21 PM
rakvak
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black out kit makes headlights too dim

I bought a used red C6 from a dealer that came with black out lens covers all around. It really looks sharp, especially on the nose. But, when driving at night the road ahead is barely lit, even on high beams. On high beams, no one has ever flashed me for blinding them. Can the headlight lenses be easily removed for night travel and reinstalled for daytime? (I do little nighttime driving.) If so, how? I have no paperwork on the lenses and see no obvious method of attachment.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:30 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

are you sure the are lenses or are they actually tinted/shaded?

i would take them off either way but that is to your taste. a brighter LED bulb may be better for ya, but be sure not to overheat the housing with too hot of bulbs becuase you will have an entire diff list of problems then
Old 10-03-2018, 03:31 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

It could have a film coating like lamin- x . There are people on the forum that have this such as NSF. I’m sure someone will chime in. It could even be a spray film. Take some close up photos and post them. The headlight lens can be replaced but it’s not that easy. There are vendors on the forum that sells the lens. Include
your location.
good luck
Old 10-03-2018, 04:02 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by enventr
It could have a film coating like lamin- x . There are people on the forum that have this such as NSF. I’m sure someone will chime in. It could even be a spray film. Take some close up photos and post them. The headlight lens can be replaced but it’s not that easy. There are vendors on the forum that sells the lens. Include
your location.
good luck
Yep, I have the Lamin-X film front and back in Gunsmoke (all my lights are darkened) on mine and like you I don't do much nite time driving so to me it doesn't matter. If its Lamin-X it can be removed with a hair dryer or heat gun if you slowly pull it while you warm it up.
NSF

Old 10-03-2018, 05:56 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Look very closely for a film, if not there, new lenses can be installed. Look at YouTube for videos.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:12 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

As others havesaid, they're either full covers or film.

The short answer is no, they cant be easily, or rather repeatably, put on or off.

Get notified of new replies

To Black out kit makes headlights too dim

Quick Reply: Black out kit makes headlights too dim