C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Word of Caution

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 02:05 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts
Default A Word of Caution

There have been threads about "touch up" paints recently including one from me. I used Dr. Color Chip for the vette and it matched perfectly although it is pricey. But I guess this affirms you get what you pay for. I recently put a small chip in my Tundra, don't ask, so I did the dent removal tools from HF which did ok, but it removed a couple of chips in the paint, its called Thunder Gray, sort of a hard color I know and not readily available because its a 2000 model
So I looked online and found this place called "the Touchup Store" and they had that color available, great I order it at $12.37.
I get the paint yesterday and they sent it in a sort of flat plastic tub, 1 oz. very shallow, no bottle. I open it and its full to the top and spills all over me Besides that the color isn't even in the same ballpark, totally different, they are refunding my money.
So if you are in need of touch up paint I would avoid this place, maybe it was a 1 time screw up but their reviews don't indicate that.
In closing I will use Dr. Color Chip from now on
NSF
The following users liked this post:
corvette312 (10-07-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 02:12 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Pretty hard to beat Dr Color Chip once you learn to apply it properly.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:12 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,801 Posts

If you want factory paint go to automotivetouchup.com. They're well known here on the forums and can provide factory color paints. They'll even put it in a rattle can for you.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:17 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 179 Likes on 161 Posts

Any tips using Dr. ColorChip? I have a Yukon Denali that has a chip in the rear bumper, I ordered and received the touchup paint from Color Chip but haven't had opportunity to do the repair yet. Just thought I'd look at a youtube prior.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:01 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Any tips using Dr. ColorChip? I have a Yukon Denali that has a chip in the rear bumper, I ordered and received the touchup paint from Color Chip but haven't had opportunity to do the repair yet. Just thought I'd look at a youtube prior.
First clean with rubbing alcohol, then put a dab or drop next to the chip and drag the little squeegee or the side of your thumb (with the supplied rubber glove on) across it with out removing the paint from the chip, might have to do it a couple of times if its deep. Then use the solution provided to remove the excess. If its a heavy metallic shake the bottle really well to get the bottom stirred up
NSF
Old 10-05-2018, 10:12 PM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Cool, I’ll have to check out this Dr Color Chip, I’ve always ordered my touch up paint from the dealers. I figured it was the best.

Get notified of new replies

To A Word of Caution

Quick Reply: A Word of Caution