C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechanic shop or dealer when changing coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 09:51 AM
gandeboz
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mechanic shop or dealer when changing coolant?

Anyone know how much a dealer would charge theae days for coolant change? Car is at 55k miles. Fluid is pink and has no issues but i guess il change it after storage in 2019 since i dont know when it was changed last. Can mechanic shops do it too? Since it does require dexcool and im not sure if the shops would know corvette procedures
Old 10-06-2018, 10:06 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

IMO Either is probably fine.
Just make sure they know it is Dex Cool.

FWIW There are two ways to do this.
1) A machine that "sucks out" and then "inserts" the new fluid.
2) Drain at the radiator, refill with water and drain again until fluid drains clear.
One key during the refill to refill very slowly to avoid a trapped air bubble.

There are major discussion concerning distilled vs drinkable water as the mix with the Dex Cool.
50/50 being a desirable ratio.

As for cost I see many special coupons for this, in my area I'd say $179.

Lastly, using distilled will be your decision and the shops.

Have fun.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:45 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Most shops can handle this job. The vacuum based machines that "suck out" all the coolant are probably the best choice for the job. A shop that has that equipment would be preferred in my opinion.

Without the vacuum machine, a complete drain requires pulling a heater hose and blowing through the heater core with air, and also removing the drain plugs from the block and draining the block. Some will just drain radiator and flush with water, repeat until water is clear. At that point, you've got more than a gallon of mostly pure water (with a little diluted old coolant) in the system when you drain the radiator.

As for coolant, DexCool™ is best, but can have issues if it's neglected too long, or if the system leaks and air gets in the system. "Universal fill" long life coolants from the major brands (Prestone, Peak, Zerex, etc.) or parts store "house brands" made by those other majors are almost as good as DexCool and have fewer issues. I generally go with a universal long life coolant rather than DexCool™. I'm sure I'll get flamed about that, especially on this forum.

Always use distilled water. Tap water can deposit scale inside your radiator, heater core and engine. If you don't believe me, put a few drops on a shiney hot stainless steel (or raw, shiney aluminum) pan and boil it dry. If you see a "ring" or mark from the minerals in the tap water, that's what will scale up the inside of your engine and radiator and heater core over time if you use that tap water. Distilled water has no minerals and won't add scale to your radiator. Distilled water is only $0.80 (ish) per gallon at the grocery store or Walmart. Cheap insurance with a definite long term benefit.

50/50 mix (pre mixed, or mix yourself) is good for maximum freeze protection. If you live in warmer climates, more water, less coolant will give better cooling in the summer, but will increase the freezing temperature in the winter. If you garage it in the winter, that might not be as big an issue. From (possibly faulty) memory, 60% water/40% coolant will freeze around -15°F, 65% water/35% coolant will freeze around 0°.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:55 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,325 Likes on 1,050 Posts

I needed this done on my '13 GS vert in May with 5 years and 48,378 on the odometer. Was considering doing the job myself - even bought the pre-mixed DexCool. But when I went online to see how it is done, I decided to stick with the pros who have their expertise and equipment. Rydell Chevy did the job for $166 and I drove away happy.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:56 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 899 Likes on 585 Posts

Had my local mechanic change it this spring when he installed my DeWitts rad. He actually prefers customers to buy the parts and fluids they want to use so I brought him the rad, DexCool & distilled water along with all the lubricants, oil filter and brake fluid. New fluids all around. Completely filled the hatch area.

Get notified of new replies

To Mechanic shop or dealer when changing coolant?

Quick Reply: Mechanic shop or dealer when changing coolant?